Are the Summer Isles a single nation or a group of independent islands?

Mr. James

Just curious, has this ever been established in canon? From the way they are described in the books the Summer Isles seem somewhat similar to the Caribbean Islands of our world (that's where my family is from btw) which are a collection of independent nations. Maybe they're more like Indonesia or the Philippines which are island chains that are also single countries. We know that at some point there was a revolution around the Red Flower Vale that lead to Jalabhar Xho being exiled but was he the prince of just one island or the whole archipelago? Thoughts?

One of the most profound sentiments in the series, in my opinion, came from one of the Summer Islanders that Sam traveled with on the way to Old Town. It was something along the lines of "Only demon gods would give you sexual urges the condemn you for acting on it." I forgot the exact quote.

One of the most profound sentiments in the series, in my opinion, came from one of the Summer Islanders that Sam traveled with on the way to Old Town. It was something along the lines of "Only demon gods would give you sexual urges the condemn you for acting on it." I forgot the exact quote.

Here is the quote you mean.

". . . honored your dead, and the gods who made you both. Xhondo did the same. I had the child, else I would have been with him. All you Westerosi make a shame of loving. There is no shame in loving. If your septons say there is, your seven gods must be demons. In the isles we know better. Our gods gave us legs to run with, noses to smell with, hands to touch and feel. What mad cruel god would give a man eyes and tell him he must forever keep them shut, and never look at all the beauty in the world? Only a monster god, a demon of the darkness." Kojja put her hand between Sam's legs. "The gods gave you this for a reason too, for . . . what is your Westerosi word?"

"Fucking," Xhondo offered helpfully.

"Yes, for fucking. For the giving of pleasure and the making of children. There is no shame in that."

Archived