[Theory] Life for Life, The Wall and the Watch

Hardy

As we all know in the woiaf magic doesn't come for free, so what kind of sacrifice paid for all the magic within the largest known man made structure in the iaf world. Did those who built it pay with enough blood to last 1000's of years ? no, is my theory, the Nights Watch are the sacrifice.

Think about it...

Every member of the Nights Watch swears an oath for life, the penelty for desertion is death.

Are all the NW that have lived and died paying life for life for the walls magic ?

It would make sense of why the Others scared the freefolk into amassing an army, why they weekened the Nights Watch on the Fist of the first men. They themselves can't pass through the wall, the freefolk with all the hatred of the NW would never leave a single crow alive. With the Nights Watch gone, so would fade the magic of the wall, maybe even the very magic that allows the structure to withstand its own weight.

As we all know in the woiaf magic doesn't come for free, so what kind of sacrifice paid for all the magic within the largest known man made structure in the iaf world. Did those who built it pay with enough blood to last 1000's of years ? no, is my theory, the Nights Watch are the sacrifice.

Could be. When I first read Jons last chapter in aDwD, it seemed to me that his attackers were compelled to attack him and werent acting under their own volition. TBH my very first thought was that the spells woven into the wall were the real culprit. Hmm so I was going to say that wouldnt explain scenarios like the Night King and such that took up their own cause with members of the NW, but has anyone actually marched south on Westeros?

Could be. When I first read Jons last chapter in aDwD, it seemed to me that his attackers were compelled to attack him and werent acting under their own volition. TBH my very first thought was that the spells woven into the wall were the real culprit. Hmm so I was going to say that wouldnt explain scenarios like the Night King and such that took up their own cause with members of the NW, but has anyone actually marched south on Westeros?

I THOUGHT THAT TOO!!! but nobodies brought it up so i thought i was being irrational

Think about it...

Every member of the Nights Watch swears an oath for life, the penelty for desertion is death.

Are all the NW that have lived and died paying life for life for the walls magic ?

It would make sense of why the Others scared the freefolk into amassing an army, why they weekened the Nights Watch on the Fist of the first men. They themselves can't pass through the wall, the freefolk with all the hatred of the NW would never leave a single crow alive. With the Nights Watch gone, so would fade the magic of the wall, maybe even the very magic that allows the structure to withstand its own weight.

Was the Wall not made by the children of the forest?

The magic of the wall was fed by the child sacrifices from humans south of the wall throwing children down the well at the Night Fort. They would be collected by WW through the Black Gate, just as now the WW collect Craster's baby boys.

The WW built the wall, not puny humans.

Archived