Targaryen Magic & Lore

Valyrian Fyrewyrm

That's a popular myth isn't it? I'm quite sure European blades were equally good, though obviously the skill of the maker - of either sort - plays the larger role.

Well you forget that Damascean steel blades were highly sought up in Europe - so they were better than regular steel available in surplus. (I know that original post were about Japanese but my point about various level of smithing knowledge stands)

Well you forget that Damascean steel blades were highly sought up in Europe - so they were better than regular steel available in surplus. (I know that original post were about Japanese but my point about various level of smithing knowledge stands)

I was merely commenting on the (IMO) myth that Japanese Katana is some sort of super-sword, which isn't really the case.

There is also a phenomenon around things like a japanese Katana, or Damascene Steel in medieval times - regardless of whether or not it was actually better or sharper or superior, a lot of the perceived value of that type of product was its name and cache image. Nobles in europe wanted the exotic foreign blades because they had the means to get them, and others didn't, which made their image more coveted. Same thing could happen with VS - there is a limited amount of it, so everyone who is rich wants them.

When it comes down to it, when steel meets steel, it is 99% the skill of the bearer that determines the outcome of the fight. Its a very rare case that the actual quality of the weapon is the determining factor in a fight.

• 7 months later...

Didn't the guy who reforged The Stark ancestral blade 'Ice' mention working spells when he made Oathkeeper?

I think there is magic involved personally but I've never made one so i cant be sure :D

I personally think magic is more like an assistant to your profession, like blacksmiths used it to help them make VS.

Builders and Stone Masons made those incredible building with magic to.

I think Binding the Dragons to you does involve blood as all Valyrian Magic is rooted in blood and fire hence the inbreeding to keeping the blood pure.

Archived