Count of years in Westeros

Kikajon

I haven't gave it that much thought, but I do believe spiral elliptic orbit would possibly explain some of the peculiarities of the climate changes in GRRM's books. I think it would even go in accordance with Kepler's laws if we suppose that plant's mass changes periodically (magic or whatever). Daytime duration is still an issue, but as far as I understand, seasons in GRRM's books are "universal" for the whole planet, in contrast to Earth (and reality, I guess) where seasons are opposite in southern and northern hemispheres. So, I think, some of the aspects of ASoIaF universe have no explanation in celestial body mechanics.

Also, I think, they could possibly choose the duration of the shortest recorded season (or full cycle of seasons) to measure the legngth of the future seasons.

This also makes sense.

I think I have missed something..

What do we know about the other hemisphere? I give it for granted that Westeros and Essos are in the same hemisphere. Is it stated somewhere something about the other one? I can't recall mentioning any land further south ()

...sorry some problem on my side so I cannot edit the post which was not finished..

To cut it short I was just curious to understand why you say that seasons are "universal" because I can't recall anything about that nor any reference to other land in another hemisphere. Coming to think of it maybe westerosi think the planet is flat:)

thank you:)

• 2 months later...

I think I'd assume they counted a year as 12 "turns of the moon".

As for why the seasons went out of shift, I think this is the beauty of fantasy literature which defines it from science fiction: You don't have to explain the why of everything. Some things just are, which is what makes them fantastical and compelling. Science fiction by contrast attempts to explain everything by making up new rules and stretching logic and reasoning.

• 2 weeks later...

I think many here are making a logical error assuming seasons on an earth like planet have to work like they do for us. Winter means the area is further away from the sun than during summer. There could be a million explanations why a planet would tilt a little diferently at any time. Anything that has gravity or bends space, however you like to view the universe, could cause that. In ASoIaF there is a comet announcing this winter, maybe. It could be part of a space event actually causing winter.

As for the actual topic: It's harder to see a year has passed without the seasons, but it 's possible to tell by the stars.

Archived