I believe the A+J=T thread proved something other than Tyrion is a Targ

Jesse17Renee

Aegon the Unworthy had bedded half the maidens in the realm and fathered bastards on the lot of them, supposedly. Worse, the old king had legitimized them all upon his deathbed; the baseborn ones born of tavern wenches, whores, and shepherd girls, and the Great Bastards whose mothers had been highborn. We'd all be bastard sons of old King Aegon if half these tales were true. And who's to say we're not? Ser Maynard Plumm quipped...

Yea not everybody is as thick as a castle wall.

More secret Targs the better.

There's a difference between bastards being born a couple of generations ago so that there's Targaryen blood in people we, reading of current Westerosi events, wouldn't necessarily expect to have it and characters who are presented to us as true-born Lannisters or of other high-born families secretly being of Targaryen blood because of an affair that can only be gleaned by misreading contextual clues that clearly point to something else going on. The next thing that's going to happen is that people are going to say Littlefinger is a secret Targaryen. It's ridiculous.

These various "theories" are getting more & more absurd.

What on earth does Jaimie & Cersei "practicing incest" have to do with them being of Targaryen lineage? Are you suggesting that merely having the surname "Targaryen" somehow makes a person instinctively want to sleep with their siblings?!? The Targaryens practiced DYNASTIC incest, which isn't the same thing as simply having an genetic desire to shag one's brother or sister, as you seem to be suggesting.

Not every Targaryen during their near 300 year reign was born of incest. We have no clue who King Aerys II's mother was, as it certainly wasn't his father's (Jaehaerys II) sister Rhaelle, as she is the grandmother of Robert, Stannis & Renly Baratheon.

BTW - its spelled THRONE, not THROWN.

Why thankyou for correcting my spelling. I was always much more of a math person myself. And in response to your slightly irritated post:

Jamie and Cersie practicing incest is symbolism. It's a hint. I do not believe that all Targs are incestuous and that is not what I meant to imply. My thread was created simply because I believe that the Tyrion is a Targ theories are not true and that most threads that talk about them seem to point to Cersie and Jamie being Targs more than Tyrion. I really don't care if anyone ends up being a "secret Targ", but as I will probably have to wait another 2 years to read TWOW, I must continue to read the forums and obsess over the books until then. I am an admitted addict and have recently started researching the theory that Mance Rayder (sp?) is actually Rhaegar Targaryen. Now that one is absolutely fascinating and absurd.

But back to this thread: Another reason I believe this is plausibly (not probable) is because it would be very ironic. I don't see GRRM undermining Tryion's whole story by making him all the sudden not a Lanister. I think that Tyrion being a Lanister is very important. It is everything to him. I just don't see him ever being anything but a Lion! While on the other hand I believe that it would be very interesting to see Cersie and Jamie's reactions were they to find out that Tywin wasn't their real father. Cersie isn't a deserving person and Jamie never really wanted anything to do with being a "Lanister", he just wanted to be with Cersie. Again, I don't think any of this is probable, but if we are discussing plot twists I think it should be thrown right in there with the Tyrion is a Targ theories.

Not to mention that Jamie would then have killed his own father..... And why would Aerys want Jamie to be a kings guard at such a young age if he didn't have some "personal" interest in him....

Aerys kept Jaime close so Tywin wouldn't sack the city, keeping his son as a hostage, just in case

Archived