re-read suggestion

Hi guys,

I'm asking for advice for my re-read project. Is it better to re-read chapter by chapter? Or, say, re-read all Jon's POV chapters and then Arya's, etc? If re-reading by POV, what's your suggested order?

I kinda went through the books pretty quickly for the first time, and then ended up forgetting characters, names, etc. I do feel like I have problems remembering names in this series:( Sometimes I have to rely on ASoIaF wikia to help recall my memory or to locate the chapters and then read through them again... Any suggestions on how you guys can remember the story so clearly? Well, yeah, no blame on my poor memory :bang:

Thank you, guys! I do find myself fall in deep love with this series, and just reading the discussions on this forum is so fun!

There is no better or worse necessarily, you just get a different experience reading by POV (or groups of POVs) than chapter by chapter. I'd certainly recommend trying reading by POV, but perhaps after reading the series again more slowly if you are not confident about the overall flow and main characters in the story.

if this is your first reread, and you went through the books quickly the first time, and have difficulty remembering, then i would suggest re reading the books in the proper order at a slower pace first. Take the time to absorb what you're rereading with the hindsight of knowing what happens later on. try to look for things u may have missed the first time around, or links that seem obvious now.

I feel like doing specific character rereads for you at this point wouldnt be that beneficial. its better to have a solid understanding of the scope of the entire story before looking at particular archs in that story. IMHO at least.

Since I'm also going through my first re-read, I'd suggest following the same order, till you get to AFfC. Since that book and ADwD happen simultaneously, I suggest combining the 2 books as you go.

I found a very good online list with the proper chapter order here: http://boiledleather.com/post/24543217702/a-proposed-a-feast-for-crows-a-dance-with-dragons

I highly recommend it, as it has helped me enjoy the last 2 books much more than when I originally read them, one after the other.

Since I'm also going through my first re-read, I'd suggest following the same order, till you get to AFfC. Since that book and ADwD happen simultaneously, I suggest combining the 2 books as you go.

I found a very good online list with the proper chapter order here: http://boiledleather.com/post/24543217702/a-proposed-a-feast-for-crows-a-dance-with-dragons

I highly recommend it, as it has helped me enjoy the last 2 books much more than when I originally read them, one after the other.

I had totally forgotten about this. Yes I would also recommend this for anyone who hasnt tried the combined version, absolutely excellent.

Wow, this one's awesome! I'll mark it and follow this order once I get to aFoC. Hope with the semester done this week, I can enjoy it all summer!

There is no better or worse necessarily, you just get a different experience reading by POV (or groups of POVs) than chapter by chapter. I'd certainly recommend trying reading by POV, but perhaps after reading the series again more slowly if you are not confident about the overall flow and main characters in the story.

Thanks, Lummel! I'll take your advice and read it through at a slower pace. You know, the first time it's just I'm so eager to learn what's coming next so I just read through pretty fast, know about the main story lines, and not pay much attention to the minor ones. After reading some threads about, like, predictions or mysteries, it turns out that some are hidden in lines that I'm not paying much attention to. So, yeah, that's why I decide to do a re-read. This series is just so fabulous! Not many novels have these many mysteries between lines!

Wow, this one's awesome! I'll mark it and follow this order once I get to aFoC. Hope with the semester done this week, I can enjoy it all summer!

Glad I could help :) And yeah…reading AFfC and ADwD in that order is a completely different experience altogether. Enjoy!

Archived