How do prophecies work?

exp(ix)

We know that Melisandre, the ghost of high heart, and Jojen get their prophecies through visions, whose interpretation is open to anyone. But the prophecies of Maggy the Frog and Quaithe have a completely different style. To see what I mean, look at these examples:

"I dreamed that the sea was lapping all around Winterfell. I saw black waves crashing against the gates and towers, and then the salt water came flowing over the walls and filled the castle. Drowned men were floating in the yard"

"I have seen your sister in my fires, fleeing from this marriage they have made for her. Coming here, to you. A girl in grey on a dying horse, I have seen it plain as day."

And compare those to:

"To go north, you must journey south, to reach the west you must go east. To go forward you must go back and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow."

"Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you. Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

The latter kind of prophecies are delivered as a poem/riddle, they're specifically made for their recipient, and their source is a complete mystery.

So I'm wondering, where do they get these prophecies from?

I think it's just the difference that comes with different styles of magic and different practitioners.

Bran, Melisandre, and Maggy the Frog's prophecies are actually all pretty similar. Quaithe is the only outlier, really.

They each "saw" things, information and are trying to convey that information to someone. Melisandre misinterpreted her vision, Bran didn't have enough information to offer an interpretation of his that made sense, and Maggy the Frog's makes perfect sense in hindsight. She may have worded it creatively, but "gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds" makes perfect sense.

Quaithe, on the other hand, does seem to be evasive and I think that's because she isn't giving Daenerys a prophecy -- she's giving her instructions. Bran's dream comes from the Old Gods, Melisandre's prophecy comes from the Red God, and Maggy the Frog's vision comes from blood magic. I think it's probable that Quaithe's "power" to speak to Daenerys is coming from a Valyrian candles she mentions:

The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal.

If she were actually giving prophecy, then she'd know that the "mummer's dragon" and the "griffin" would head to Westeros and not Meereen.

Otherwise, I think the legit prophecies you mention come from magic latent in the universe, that certain people are able to tap into.

We know that Melisandre, the ghost of high heart, and Jojen get their prophecies through visions, whose interpretation is open to anyone. But the prophecies of Maggy the Frog and Quaithe have a completely different style. To see what I mean, look at these examples:

"I dreamed that the sea was lapping all around Winterfell. I saw black waves crashing against the gates and towers, and then the salt water came flowing over the walls and filled the castle. Drowned men were floating in the yard"

"I have seen your sister in my fires, fleeing from this marriage they have made for her. Coming here, to you. A girl in grey on a dying horse, I have seen it plain as day."

And compare those to:

"To go north, you must journey south, to reach the west you must go east. To go forward you must go back and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow."

"Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you. Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

The latter kind of prophecies are delivered as a poem/riddle, they're specifically made for their recipient, and their source is a complete mystery.

So I'm wondering, where do they get these prophecies from?

Maggy gave a future... it was specifically for Cersei.. it required her blood....the source of the future is never specified

fortune teller

Jojen and Mel get their visions from god... they are passive receivers... they cant choose who to follow... the source is the red god.. or the old gods..

Prophets

Archived