How important will the Citadel plot be?

Ser Eric

The question is in the title.

I don't think GRRM would have included it as a prologue if it wasn't important in some way. But how it ties in to the rest of the story is something that's not very clear and we only have 3/4 chapters from the Citadel. There's a real air of intrigue surrounding this plot and not much is known. What we know so far:

1. Marvyn says the Maesters are anti-Dragon and then sails off immediately to the East.

2. There are at least two people pretending to be someone they are not. Alleras and Pate.

3. Then there's the mysterious book.

4. Euron's possible attack on Oldtown?

But what does it all mean? What interest could Doran have in the Citadel?

I think the Citadel killed off the dragons in the Dance of Dragons (the only big war the Hightowers directly participated in) but their part was hidden in the Princess and the Queen because it was written by a maester.

I can see them putting Westeros in grave danger by taking out one (or more) of the dragons and accidentally helping the White Walkers.

I think the Citadel is going to be pretty important. If anything, Sam being there and learning will allow Sam (and the readers) to stumble upon some answers. Hopefully knowledge about dragons, magic, the Others, the glass candles, ect.

Archived