The show versus the books.. What differences

mrsjonsnowstark

For a show with a cast of HUNDREDS of named characters, the amount of recasts has been notably low, IMHO. In fact, most Unsullied haven't even noticed most of them. I think the most problematic ones are The Mountain (the guy who play the role in Season 2 was really, really awful) and Daario (Michiel Huisman is far better actor than Ed Skrein, but they just don't look alike at all and that sadly breaks continuity a bit)

I suppose that it's not easy to find an actor that looks like Daario. I'm not very fond of the new guy who plays him, at first I didn't even think that he was playing him. The Mountain is a problem. Every season we have a new actor playing him; it's annoying. They've also changed the guy who played Lord Beric in Season 1. And where on earth was the Greatjon when the Red Wedding happened?

The random changes that are completely unnecessary.

For instance, the way things go down with Jon Snow and Quorin Halfhand. Actually nearly everything about Jon Snow is wrong. They make him look like an idiot. Instead of consciously letting Ygritte go and telling Quorin about it, he gets fooled and chases after her for miles? Pointless change. How is that better than Jon and Quorin trying to evade the eagle and the wildlings hunting them? "Is your sword sharp, Jon Snow?" There was zero need to change the way it happened in the books and make it worse.

Getting rid of Tyrion and Jaime's conversation about Tysha, followed by Tyrion's false confession. Having Tyrion babble on about some kid smashing bugs instead.

Neutering Stannis. I don't know if I just missed it but I never heard a "Stannis! Stannis! Stannis!"

Making Littlefinger seem more lucky than actually genius. He needs Sansa Stark to save him? Really? And his voice is becoming increasingly over-the-top.

The added scenes with Sam and Gilly. Please God make it stop.

Stealing the Hound's line and giving it to Littlefinger. "Look around you, they're all liars here, and every one of them better than you."

Having Littlefinger reveal his plan to take Sansa away, right out in the open.

No "EEELLLIIIAAAA!" ...and not showing how frustrated the Mountain was getting ...."Be quiet" ...."shut your bloody mouth" ...."Enough!" ...."SHUT UP!" ...followed promptly by chopping a boy in half. This was overall one of the most disappointing episodes for me because I had such high hopes.

The way it went down with Tyrion and Shae. Changed for no reason.

And finally, Tyrion and Tywin's conversation before Tywin's death.

"What did you do with Tysha?"

"Tysha?"

"The girl I married."

"Oh yes, your first whore."

"The next time you say that word, I'll kill you."

"You do not have the courage."

"Shall we find out? .... Tysha, what did you do with her, after my little lesson."

"I don't recall"

"Try harder. Did you have her killed?"

.......(steward sent her on her way)....

"On her way where?"

"Wherever whores go."

BAM

"You shot me."

"You always were quick to grasp a situation, my lord. That must be why you're the hand of the king."

"You....you are no....no son of mine

"Now that's where you're wrong father. Why, I believe I'm you writ small. Do me a kindness now, and die quickly. I have a ship to catch."

Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, shit gold.

The random changes that are completely unnecessary.

For instance, the way things go down with Jon Snow and Quorin Halfhand. Actually nearly everything about Jon Snow is wrong. They make him look like an idiot. Instead of consciously letting Ygritte go and telling Quorin about it, he gets fooled and chases after her for miles? Pointless change. How is that better than Jon and Quorin trying to evade the eagle and the wildlings hunting them? "Is your sword sharp, Jon Snow?" There was zero need to change the way it happened in the books and make it worse.

Getting rid of Tyrion and Jaime's conversation about Tysha, followed by Tyrion's false confession. Having Tyrion babble on about some kid smashing bugs instead.

Neutering Stannis. I don't know if I just missed it but I never heard a "Stannis! Stannis! Stannis!"

Making Littlefinger seem more lucky than actually genius. He needs Sansa Stark to save him? Really? And his voice is becoming increasingly over-the-top.

The added scenes with Sam and Gilly. Please God make it stop.

Stealing the Hound's line and giving it to Littlefinger. "Look around you, they're all liars here, and every one of them better than you."

Having Littlefinger reveal his plan to take Sansa away, right out in the open.

No "EEELLLIIIAAAA!" ...and not showing how frustrated the Mountain was getting ...."Be quiet" ...."shut your bloody mouth" ...."Enough!" ...."SHUT UP!" ...followed promptly by chopping a boy in half. This was overall one of the most disappointing episodes for me because I had such high hopes.

The way it went down with Tyrion and Shae. Changed for no reason.

And finally, Tyrion and Tywin's conversation before Tywin's death.

"What did you do with Tysha?"

"Tysha?"

"The girl I married."

"Oh yes, your first whore."

"The next time you say that word, I'll kill you."

"You do not have the courage."

"Shall we find out? .... Tysha, what did you do with her, after my little lesson."

"I don't recall"

"Try harder. Did you have her killed?"

.......(steward sent her on her way)....

"On her way where?"

"Wherever whores go."

BAM

"You shot me."

"You always were quick to grasp a situation, my lord. That must be why you're the hand of the king."

"You....you are no....no son of mine

"Now that's where you're wrong father. Why, I believe I'm you writ small. Do me a kindness now, and die quickly. I have a ship to catch."

Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, shit gold.

Completely agree with most of this.

Now overall I think they've done a very nice job. They just make some really odd changes that aren't necessary and usually take away from the plot.

Changes I didn't mind:

- spicing things up north of the wall with the little battle at Craster's (and having Bran intersect)

-spicing things up for Dany in Qarth (although some of the lines they gave her and/or her acting were brutal to watch)

- age changes

- replacing certain minor characters with more familiar faces (I understand it has to be done sometimes for show purposes, though they take it overboard a bit)

- Tyrion's appearance (I don't mind it one bit, I actually think it enhances things. Peter Dinklage is too good as Tyrion to worry about him not being ugly as sin)

- appearance changes in general (as long as they aren't ridiculous...Daario is pretty bad, but don't mind Jorah, Tyrion, etc)

Archived