Chapter by Chapter Analysis (Spoilers)

Jinjoz

I may be wrong but I do not recall there being any one on one scenes between Ned and Jon Snow except for in the TV show. Which I don't think Ned neglected or ignored Jon.... Hmmmm... Well Catelyn was pretty harsh on Jon and didn't allow him to sit among the family. Did Ned just agree to this because he wanted to please his wife or was it cause he agreed but not in such a harsh way? Hmmmmm I

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Ned ignored/neglected Jon. I think he genuinely loved him as much as any of the other children. That is evidenced in Jon's own internal monologues if nothing else as you can see they had a true father-son bond and Jon really looks up to Ned. I think Ned put off telling Jon the truth because at first he was too young to understand and, later, he was just dreading it and kept putting it off. It is hard to predict what a young man will do with this kind of information: "surprise, you're actually the rightful heir to this kingdom and your father was killed as a result of my helping his usurper!"

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit I ate some ha d Chinese food that set me back a few days and I'm currently a trip to Idaho Falls for a dance competition. So here is your next chapter

Chapter 49 - Jon V

Commentary/Summary

It is officially graduation day hurray! And the surprise twist of this whole book is upon us, Sam will be graduating with the rest of the group. I we allow everyone a small moment to catch their breath at the gasp that has just spread throughout the world. So Sam and Jon will be able to Bro out more hurray! So they go before the Sept and the leaders of the Nights Watch and we get a pretty good speech here. The Nights Watch is truly separate from All the other houses and it's so duty is to defend the realm from those who I've beyond the wall. They don't take a wife or have any land or title. Of course people are flawed, usually when it comes to the woman part.

It is pretty sad to look at how the Nights Watch has changed throughout the years. While we are not given the back story of it here we can see because of the vow that the Nights Watch was a calling of high honor and it was seen as a good thing to be a member of the Nights Watch. As time went on The Nights Watch basically turned into a pretty boring thing. You walk on the wall guarding the wall from enemies that are not there. So it started turning into a world prisoner work program which when you think about it makes sense. There out of the way, learning discipline and also having an opportunity to rise I an order and that has some guts behind it, and if they stick to their oaths than they don't need to worry about them anymore.

After Mormon finishes his speech most of the guys graduating will say their oaths to the Sept and the Seven God's but Jon and than Sam are given the option to say their oath in front of a heart tree and the old God's. Mormont questions as to why Sam wants to say his oath to the Old God's And my says that the New God's never answered his prayers maybe the Old will. It is really interesting how the difference between these two beliefs is not a real area of contention. People don't seem to be persecuted if they believe in one or the other and are free to pray and say paths in the name of both. Is this just because it is not taken very seriously or are people just that nice? It is very I interesting.

Before they get to throw their cap in the air each of them are given their assigned job: either the builders, Rangers, or the Stewards. And we get a pretty typical moment, at least I think, where Jon is actually assigned to the Stewards, basically the maids of the Nights Watch. Now this pretty upsetting for Jon which while is annoying to read his Harry Potter 'I'm the chosen one' freak out, I'm not going to dock him points because of it cause it is understandable especially at his age. So he runs of saying he is better than all of those in the r an gers and Sam comes up and slaps some sense into him. Jon is going to be stewerd to Mormon and will be his right hand man. He is the most powerful position as a rookie. So Jon is Cool with that now. Last scene is when they head out and take their vow at a heart tree that is beyond the wall. After they rise as men of the Nights Watch Ghost come trotting G along with a human Hand in his mouth.... Interesting

Book Owns
+1 to Sam for slapping some sense into Jon
+1 to Mormont for a killer speech
Favorite Character: Sam. He steps it up big time in this chapter. He brings Jon to his senses, he steps out of his comfort zone and actually says something to Mormont and he realizes that the Seven have never been his friend so he goes to other Gods to see what they can do. He is a pretty awesome and free day guy. I'd hang out with him.

Show Owns
+1 to Same for whipping Jon into shape
+1 to Same for wanting to be a wizard
I was going to give Jon a negative point here but they added a scene where Benjen's horse returns empty. This really fuels Jon to become a ranger so with his hopes set so high we can understand his bitterness for not being a ranger.

Chapter 49 - Eddard XIV - S1 E7

Commentary/Summary

So Ned wakes up, which seems to be an occurring thing.... Hmmmm shout of the past few Ned chapter 3 of them are of him waking up or dreaming, the past two have been. This could be a sign that Ned is finally waking up to his situation? He is filed ally starting to realize how deep he is in this... Dreaming could be that his hopes of him getting out of all this is not reality? Hmmmm possible

So he wakes up and looks out and the Red Cloaks, Cersei's guard, and they are all out In the yard training and Ned takes this as a move from Cersei to intimidate him. He doesn't understand this because he feels that he has given Cersei plenty of chances to escape but she hasn't taken it. I think Ned is over thinking his position here. Cersei is not scared of him and will not flee, both think they have more power over the other.

Ned summons the small council and asks to meet in his solar for a little privacy and protection. Ned is than informed that Renly Baratheon has fled the city and Ned is not too happy about it. I am on board with Renly, he saw what is coming and he doesn't want to stick around and most likely die. Retreat, regroup, and Renly will be a big threat pater. The rest of the Council arrives and Littlefinger gives Ned some comfort when he I forms he has token care of the gold Cloaks and they are on his side and they begin. Basically Ser Barristan reads the letter that Robert left naming Ned protector of the realm and than the council and Ned are summoned to the throne room.

As they enter Ned sees 5 of the Kingsguard guarding Joffery as he sits atop of the Iron Throne and a good handful of Cersei's guard with her all prepared to fight. Full helm, shield, sword, and so on. What brings him comfort is that all around the throne room is members of the City Watch and this is when the stuff his the fan. So Ned shows the order from the king naming him Regent, she tears it up, Ned orders the city Watch to seize Cersei, the City Watch kills Ned's men and Ned is taken by Littlefinger.

Now let's take a moment and think about this. I think the real big moment was when Cersei tore up that letter from the king. Now a day's there's would have been a trial and a real reason out moment. The big difference is that Cersei knows she has the power of her guard and the City Watch. Cersei really got Ned good with the your using this paper as your shield line. Right now Ned is relying on four things here

1. He is trusting that this letter from Robert is going to set things straight and that it has the power to make everything right.

2. This combined with number 1. Ned expects everyone to honor the word of a dead king. He thinks that Cersei has the honor to step aside because it is the noble thing to do and is the reason that Ned is in a cell rather than being the Regent

3. He had his money banked on the fact that Renly and Powell were going to back up the validity of that letter. With Renly fleeing the city, which was the right move on his part, he lost the only ally he has which was a huge mistake. Renly offered him his sword and his friendship and Ned didn't necessary refuse that, as far as I remember, but he didn't accept it either

4. The last thing he was banking on was Littlefinger. Littlefinger is put for himself and will do whatever it takes to stay on top. He knew that if he was on Cersei's side he was guaranteed to keep his pot on the small Council and Ned once again gave him too much credit and is paying for it now

How much of this could have been avoided? If Ned had Renly on his side the validity of the letter would have been stronger, he probably would have had a bigger force to take down Cersei if needed. I don't k ow if Cersei's rise to power could have been stopped but Ned could have gotten out of their at the least, which we know is so. Which we all know he wouldn't do.

Book owns
-1 to Cersei. She really owned Ned in this chapter and we naturally just hate her a little more because of this. You can't deny she is a good player of the game
-2 to Ned. Like I said I feel there was a lot of things that could have been avoided but weren't and he lost because of it and all we can think is 'come on Ned!' it may be a bit harsh to say that but the is how I feel
-1 to Littlefinger. Once again he totally owned Ned and we don't like when our favorite character loses. This moment will taint our view of him from now on. I think it was this moment where we realized that Littlefinger is a major player is this game.

Book VS Show
Big change, at least to me is that there are two mometns where Ned is reassured that the Cities Watch is his. Once by Littlefinger and the other by Janos Slynt, leader of the City Watch. In the book Littlefinger slightly alludes that he tooken care of what they disccused which can be interpreted either way. Back to the show, this could be just Littlefinger putting Ned into a false sense of security and sending him to the lions. We get to see Joffery be all 'liar! and kill them all!' so we don't like him very much. One thing I do like is that Ned has mad respect for Ser Barristan and we begin to like him as well
Show Owns
-1 to Littlefinger. Just so low really. He is a bad guy in our eyes as of a now for sure
-1 to Joffery for having the Throne already go to his head.

I agree with minus points for Ned here. This is his lowest point, imo; he's done. The part where he's in prison and everything that comes after that are pretty much just the consequences of this event. He realized he lost as soon as they arrested him and murdered his guards. It is really astonishing how he's engaging in something so dangerous, holding the lives of the people who rely on him in his hands (his servants, his daughters), and he doesn't even realize it (naivete) or he doesn't care (honor over blood). I tend to think it's the former over the latter. He thought he was in a much stronger position than he really was, but I think the safer option would have been to sneak away from the city with his daughters in tow the night he found out about Robert's mortal wound. Then, safely from the north, he could have sent that raven to Stannis, even pledged his sword to him if he felt that strongly about it. But instead of doing this, he put his life in the hands of LF and the corrupt goldcloaks.

What really blows my mind is that I feel that Ned trusted the gold cloaks or seemed to have done a lot of research into the gold cloaks he just out rightly believed that he would do the honorable thing. I guess it was mainly he trusted LF but in a sense he also put his life into the go cloaks hand. Oh Ned oh Ned. I personally wasn't too shocked that he gets killed later on.

I agree with minus points for all three of them, and really hated Cersei for tearing up her husband's last will... what a b!tch. I agree that Ned screwed up royally but will throw in that he was dreadfully unlucky - Robert's sudden death, Renly's desertion, Cersei ignoring his warning to lead, and most significantly of all, Petyr betraying him even though Cat swore that he would never do anything like that.

I apologize for any misspelling of names and such. I did this one on my tablet and the auto correct doesn't like GoT names

Chapter 50 - Arya IV - S1 E7

Commentary/Summary

It has been a while since we have had an Arya which chapter which is a strange thing to me because in later books some time s it seems like there is nothing but Arya chapters. It is nice to get back to her though I will admit because I really enjoy h we adventures.

We are at a dancing lesson when we start and you can't say that Arya isn't B. A. because SE Syrio is not going easy on her. He puts a lot of pressure on her during their swordplay and he calls out what his next move is going to be. The last move he lies and hits her from the other side. Arya is almost offended at this and calls him out as a liar. Syrio than explains that he is basically bringing her to the next level because the enemy is not going to need calling out their next move and Arya needs to be prepared for this.

He than explains to her that she needs to gain this sort of true sight. That she needs to truly see what her opponent is going to do next. To see beyond the obvious. He than tells of a story of ships that would come into Braavos and show to everyone these amazing creatures that they had found like manticores and tigers that carry cubs in their pouch (kangaroo?). The Sealord called Syria in to see if he was worthy to be one of his sworn swords and the Lord showed off a big yellow cat that was on his lap. The Sealord asked him what he thought of this amazing creature the ships brought in and Syria tells him that the cat is just a normal alley cat. It was only fat cause the Sealord fed him from his own table and his ears were bitten down in cat fights. Kind of a cool story but I think he could have thought of a better once

One of GRRM's writing styles is that the events in a chapter WI have a deep connection to the next chapter. Which is probably something I should have kept track of at the beginning of all of this... Hmmmm well I'll start now and than do a second edition later :) so what does this true seeing mean? I think it means to truly know your enemy or really anyone you come in contact with. Not only to predict their fighting moves but Know who they were, who they are now, and an at they are going to become. This would have been very helpful to Ned in the previous chapter and really throughout his time in Kings Landing. Particularly with LF.

And than Ser Maryn comes in and ruins the party and the cool moment they are having. They come to take Arya and tell her that he r father has sent for them to get her. At first Arya gets up and walks to them and I'm sure Syrio is thinking 'girl what did we just talk about!'. Syrio cuts her off and questions the guards until they lose their patients and Maryn sends his men to take her. Syrio than fights off four guys with a wooden or active sword, that is how B. A. Syrio is! He not only fights them off but some of them end up either dead or crippled pretty bad. He fights Maryn and as they are fighting Syrio's sword gets cut down and than Arya run. Now we don't see the ending of this fight and Arya assumes Syrio was killed but if you don't see the body than there is a high chance that they will come back.

Arya is on the run and all the lessons Syrio has taught her is running through her mind. The one that is repeated over and over is fear cuts deeper than swords. It is fear that weakens you the most. You can heal after a fight but once you are frightened of something it can take years to overcome it and it is this fear that mentally stops you instead of physically like a sword wound. She heads for a couple places and ends up at the stalls and there are dead Winterfell men all over the place, she knew and loved. She actually gets upset at them for dying because one of the men told her that a Winterfell man is worth ten Lannisters. Among all the dead was only one she saw. This is basically Arya's dream broken and she is brought into reality. People do die and sometimes it is in a way that feels like it is unfair, which is life.

Than we get a pretty intense scene. A stable boy pops up and he tells Arya that she is going to take her to the Queen. Arya before this had found Needle and she goes to defend herself. Than we get one of the real moments in this books to me. When this stable boy comes in to take her it says that all the lessons that Syrio had thought her were forgotten and it is John's lesson she went for 'stick them with the pointy end'. So she kills this boy. Now we have to remember she is eight (I'm pretty dang sure of that). So what does this mean for her? As you read it doesn't seem to affect in a very traumatic way. She thinks on it but she is just trying to get out of the castle at this point. Has she lost her innocence? It is the start of this life she has as someone who doesn't mind killing. The little assassin I can her

Arya is off to the Dragon room because she knows she can get out of the castle that way because she did it before, I believe in her last chapter as a matter of fact. When she gets there she says that the dragons no longer scared her but were her friends. This could be a foreshadow. Maybe Arya and Daenerys are going to team up later and win with girl power and dragons? Possibly. Before she gets out she has a good memory. Robb was bringing Sansa and Arya down into the crypts to go see their ready marked graves (pretty morbid in my opinion). So they get down their and make it all creepy and than Bam! Jon pops out covered in flower, Sansa and Bran scream and run and Arya punches Jon, what a girl!

Book Owns
+2 to Arya. She kept her head on straight for most of this chapter which is remarkable! The guy you look up to might be dead, you kill someone for your first time, and your being hunted down and this little girl can think straight and escape
Favorite character: Arya, for reasons stated above.

Book Vs Show

This scene switches between Sansa and Arya and I'll tell you one thing they do very well is put the feeling of fear in you. You watch this and your just as scared and nervous as they are. Sansa actually gets two extra scenes where she is basically just running away after Septa Mordane tells her to and her being caught by the Hound. Comparing Sansa and Arya in these scenes you really see how helpless Sansa is and how Arya does keep her head on straight and is able to escape.
Also fun fact. I never really understood why he was called her dancing master I just assumed that it was just a fancy way of saying sword fighting. It is actually used as a way to hide what Syrio is actually teaching her. Arya can talk about her dancing lessons and no one can judge her because people think she is just dancing.
Show Owns
+1 to Syrio for that killer fro
-1 to the Hound for just the creep/scary factor

Will you be doing the same chapter by chapter analysis for A clash of kings?

Yes I plan on doing this for all of the books and the TV show. It's a pretty big task but I'm motivated and I absolutely love this series so I got the faith that I will finish it all. I also hope to do the same thing for the Harry Potter series though I'm not sure if I'll take a break from game of thrones to do that or see if I can do both at the same Time we shall see.

Also I plan to go through and do some clean up on the game of thrones chapters once I've finished the book.

Sorry for the delays... League of Legends is a very distracting game

Chapter 51 - Sansa IV - S1E8

Commentary/Summary

Sansa is set up in her tower like the princess she wishes to be for three days after the day that LF betrays Ned. From the very beginning we see that Sansa is given no information as to what is going on and she spends most of her time locked up with the sounds of dying people coming through the window and her having no idea what is going on. it is only when Jeyne Pool is shoved into her room that she gets an idea. Lannisters are basically hunting down any of the Stark men and killing them. Her and Jeyne spend the night worrying about their families. She dreams of her marriage to Joffery and how everyone will bend the knee to them. This is an interesting moment for her to have this dream considering she is deeply worrying about her father as she is falling asleep. This is another nudge towards her not being able to think realistically. Her fairy tale thoughts overcome her thoughts on reality.

On the third day Ser Boros escorts Sansa to go and meet the Queen. As she is walking their she politely speaks to Ser Boros as if everything is normal, she greets other guards and keeps thing pleasant. Now why is she doing this? Is it just her trying to live the fantasy? Or is she playing the part that is needed for her and her father to stay alive? She is brought before the Queen and Sansa asks about what has happened because her and Jeyne haven't heard anything. The Queen questions the action of putting Jeyne in the same room as Sansa. Cersei reveals her game plan here. She doesn't want Sansa fed any information at all. Cersei wants to use Sansa as a tool to stop the Starks from rebelling and basically use her as a sort of brain washed hostage. Cersei than orders that Jeyne be handed over to LF for relocation and we just get this feeling that Jeyne is not going to be put in a good place.

Cersei than claims that Ned is a traitor and Master Pycelle backs her up all the way like the little punk he is. Than we get revealed of a couple things. So Sansa was quite upset that she wouldn't be able to say goodbye to Joffery before she was whisked away to Winterfell. So she snuck out and told Cersei of her fathers plans to get her and Arya out of Kings Landing. As soon as she spilled the beans Cersei put Sansa in Maegor's Holdfast and ordered the attack on Ned and his men. From that information Cersei knew she had to attack quickly or else she would lose two very valuable hostages. It was by Sansa's information that the killing began. Cersei than pressures Sansa and puts her in a situation where it is basically 'look, either your on our side and you get to marry Joffery or you are not, you are a traitor, and you don't get to marry Joffery'. So Sansa gives in and sides with Lannisters. Cersei has Sansa write out a couple letters talking about how Ned betrayed the King and that the other Starks and the Tullys need to bend the knee and accept Ned as a traitor.

Book Owns

-1 to Sansa for her 'she is such a child' comment. Seriously Sansa!? now is not the time

-2 to Cersei. I feel she is overdue for a couple negative points. She is being very manipulative here and it is rubbing us the wrong way

Favorite Character.... Non for this chapter. This chapter really didn't put anyone in a good light. Sansa is so easily moved to team Lannister which all in all is understandable because she is so young and naive. So while I don't blame Sansa and saying she is a bad person but it is rather annoying still.

Yeah, Sansa can be quite bitchy in AGOT. But it's understandable why she prefers KL with it's tourney's, knights and ladies over boring Winterfell. And looking at Ned, she didn't fall far from the tree. They were both in way over their heads in Kings Landing.

So I re read that section with the shadows and it does make sense that it can on;y be people who are at the trident with them. So got rid of the Mountain and Jamie and I replaced it with Barriston Semy and Illyn Payne and than I read your thoughts and bam! match! So yes I actually do agree with that! I read through a couple peoples comments and man I want to re read that chapter and rewrite it. so good!

: cheers: glad you found it interesting :)

Chapter 52 - Jon VI - S1 E8

Commentary/Summary

Wish to apologize again for not getting my chapters out as I normally do. I started phlebotomy school and with work on top of that. I will finish this book though! I'm so close!

So there actually hasn't been a lot of time change between this chapter and the previous chapter. I wonder how many chapter happen at the same moment. Jon's previous chapter ended with Ghost bringing the hand of the dead guy to Jon and this chapter is them finding them. So I'm that would mean... Wait a minute. So the chapter in between these chapter is when Ned is betrayed, Arya escapes, and Sansa writes those letters. When Jon gets back to Castle black there is a crow there with a letter talking about Ned being a traitor. So.. Would that mean that Jon V and Jon VI happened before Ned was betrayed? I mean it really doesn't matter that much. I actually wouldn't be shocked if Jon V and VI were originally one chapter. Well the was an interesting thought, unless I missed something, let me know.

Anyways let's get on with the summary. So Jon and crew find two bodies in the woods, one of them missing their hand due to Ghost ripping it off. Which, by the way, was tearing a dead man's hand off really necessary for Ghost to get their attention? They find that both of these men were members of the scouting party that went out with Benjen Stark. Which is pretty foreboding for Benjen. Just like Syrio though we can go by the rule that if you don't see the body than there is a big chance that they are not dead. Than again it is game of thrones and someday they could just find his body or never find him cause, heck, that is the way it is. They start to examine the body and it is actually Sam who goes all Sherlock Holmes on them and it is like wow Bro! So the bodies are not bleeding so they have been dead for a whole, but there is no stench or rotting. Also there is no blood in the snow so they conclude that someone killed them and brought them back to the wall, possibly as a warning. They do notice that there eyes have turned Ice blue and that is straight of the movie dudes! Listen to the guy who suggests that the burn the corpses! Nah let's take them back to our home and see why we can't learn from them. An interesting thing is that that day the weather was actually decent and warm, spring weather as the men called it. This could be a sign that something isn't right with these bodies as the even the weather is being strange.

A couple things happen in between them talking and from when they decide to head back to the wall. One thing is that Jon is very adamant that Sam looks at the bodies. Now this could be Jon just trying to toughen Sam up and have him get used to death because it is going to be everywhere, but maybe Jon had some foresight and thought that Sam could help out. Either way go Sam, he is a baller. Jon also describes a dream that he had the night before. He is walking the crypts of Winterfell and as he is walking all of a sudden the crypts start to open up and surround him. We wake up before the night of the living dead moment but we get the idea. My first thought about this dream is that Jon us shockingly feeling like he isn't the Starks. As if the dead Stark men were coming out of their grave so that they could get rid of Jon. Could be a hint to Jon's parentage which nothing has been confirmed.

So they head back to the wall and Mormont is informed that a raven has arrived. Mormont heads off and we get a Hogwarts gossip moment and everyone keeps looking at Jon with these long and mournful eyes. He runs into Pyp who is like ya the king got iced. Jon starts to think of all the implications this will have so he of course he starts to day dream of him being able to see his family and Arya and so forth... Oh Jon oh Jon. This is Game of Thrones. He heads up to Mormont tend to some things and Mormont has him sit down and have a drink with him. Mormont tells Jon that his father has been deemed a traitor and that there is no word on what his punishment is and Mormont suggests that Ned might be allowed to take the black. Than we get another reminisce moment of Jon wondering what it would be like for them both to be up here and bam our hearts are lifted and we might get a 10 episode mini series and Jon and Ned at the wall!..... Ya never going to happen sadly.

So Jon wanders around, unsure about everything and he just barely believes what he hears. Jon had a great connection with Ned and it is pretty rough for him to see his dad in this situation. He goes in to grab some grub and his buddies are all good to him, and than he hears Allister Thorne bad mouthing him and his dad. Jon snaps and just goes bat shot crazy on Thorne, tries to stab him, luckily Sam, Pyp, Grenn, and Toad get him off and Jon is grounded. Sad day. So he gets set up with Ghost in his tower and is all ugh about it.

So Jon is chilling and snoozer off when he wakes up and Ghost is trying to get out of the room. Jon just guesses he is trying to get to the guard outside his door so he goes to open the door. Finds the guard with his head twisted around and on the floor and foot steps going up the stairs to Mormont's room. So he grabs the sword from the guard and runs up. And guess what.... Ya that dead body they found in the woods is totally back to life and trying to kill Mormont. So Jon and Ghost go all crazy on him and there was especially weird part that wigged me out. This dude totally tackles Jon and than shoves his fingers down Jobs throat.... Now why in the world would he do that? Choking someone around the neck would do the same thing. Maybe he like White Walker implanted Jon and he is going to turn into one! So Mormon comes in with an oil lamp and Jon chucks in on the drapes and than throws that on the white and burns him alive like a baller.

Book Owns
+1 to Sam for going all Sherlock Holmes on everyone.
+1 to Ned for being a good influence on his son
+ 1 to Jon for going all B. A. on that Walker.

Book Vs Show
Just a little thought. Allistar Thorne is basically that principle in all of the movies who is out to get our main character throughout the whole movie. Like the principle in Back to the Future and Marty McFly style
Show Owns
+ 1 to Sam for that look he has when Mormont compliments him

Archived