The Mad King’s Plan comes to Pass by the Spider

Shadow Cat 75

We all know that Wild Fire is manmade dragon fire, which cannot be put out; it has to burn itself out. Now before the start of the book series the Mad King ordered tons of the stuff made and stored all over Kings Landings. His plan was to burn down the city with his enemies in it and raise again as a Dragon, now Jaimie Lannister put a stop to this by killing him. However I think it is possible that the Mad’s Kings Plan to burn down Kings Landings and having a dragon born from the ash will come to pass but Varys would be the one to start it.

Now this may sound crazy but follow my logic, the mad king made tones of the stuff and they do not know where all of them all. They even found a stash of it in a Tyrion Chapter before the battle of the Black Water, I do not believe that is all of it and the one man who would know where most of it is Varys. He would know since he was around at the time and was the spy master the entire time, so he has a bomb sitting under King’s Landing so how best to use this.

The Best way I can see is to set it off, lets take a look at what he would gain by setting off the Wild Fire.

1. Killing Tommen breaking the bond between House Lannister and the Tyrells of High Garden.
  2. Killing multiple high lords such as Mace Tyrell and possibly parts of their army. This would make a new lord of the Reach and take out one of the largest armies still in the field.
  3. The Lost of the Tryell army at King’s Landing would open the city up for Aegon
  4. Remove the High Sparrow and other key Sparrows, which could stand against Aegon.
  5. Removing other lords, which would free up land for the men of the Golden Company.
  6. A way to remove the Lannister’s from power by putting the blame on them.

Now burning down the city would mean someone has to be blamed and who would be better to blame for the burning down the city then Cersei Lannister. She is hated by the people and is seen as a whore and to make it even better she burned down the Tower of the Hand which means she has shown to Kings Landing that she loves Wild Fire. He can even spread the word that this was a wraith of the Gods who couldn’t stand having anyone beside a Dragon sitting on the Iron Throne.

By Burning the city the Spider could open the door for the Dragon to be reborn from the ash of Kings Landing.

That's pretty extreme for Varys. While I don't buy his doing it for the people bit I don't think he's that ruthless.

Other posters on here have suggested Danny will inadvertently set off the Wildfire when she attacks the City with her Dragons. That seems like a more likely alternative to me.

That's pretty extreme for Varys. While I don't buy his doing it for the people bit I don't think he's that ruthless.

Other posters on here have suggested Danny will inadvertently set off the Wildfire when she attacks the City with her Dragons. That seems like a more likely alternative to me.

I didn't consider Dany lighting the city on fire but as for Varys he wants to create an opening for Aegon to rule and if the Capital has to burn to create that opening I think he would do it in my view.

I didn't consider Dany lighting the city on fire but as for Varys he wants to create an opening for Aegon to rule and if the Capital has to burn to create that opening I think he would do it in my view.

From a practical perspective it could accomplish some things you have suggested.

There are some considerable drawbacks though. Apart from the obvious human cost, it would destroy the Targaryen's ancestral castle, throne , and city. The PR value of the Red Keep/ Iron Throne is massive.

Also, I'm getting some serious V for Vendetta vibes from this topic. Could it be that V = Varys?

I could see V for Vendetta but I was thinking more along the lines of Cersei being like Roman Emperor Nero who according to legend was playing the lyre while Rome burned.

We do not "all know" that wildfire is the same as dragonfire.

Varys has not killed any children, nor will he. And he won't have to. If Margaery dies, Tommen will be killed by the Tyrells.

The alliance between Lannister and Tyrell is already shot due to 1) Cersei's framing Margaery, and 2) Varys' making sure to kill not only Kevan but also Pycelle. Cersei will think the Tyrell's did it, because Pycelle is the star witness against Margaery.

With the Tyrells defecting (possibly to Aegon) Varys doesn't need to bump anyone else off, because Aegon's conquest will kill off plenty of them.

Varys is not going to burn down the city. That would likely destroy the Iron Throne that he wants Aegon to sit on. Cersei's destruction is assured regardless and without Tywin and Kevan, House Lannister is no longer a force to threaten anyone. Lancel would be the heir and he wants no part of such worldly things now.

Archived