Does anyone miss Joffrey?

House Soprano

Joffrey's evil was purely evil on the epic levels of the scale; he was a psychopath. If you recall the scene where Tyrian sends two whores to his nephew's chambers, Joffrey doesn't touch them... in any sort of sexual manner. His psychotic levels of evil always kept yo wondering what he would do; you know what a sane person would do in a given situation, but never knew what Joffrey would come up with!

Ramsay is predictable. He's not a psychopath as much as he is a sociopath. You know if he has a desire, he's going to fulfill it, if he wants something he's going to try to get it. They're all normal human traits without a conscious telling him to hold back. It makes him terrifying, but you already know what he's going to do and removes the mystery of a psychotic mind like Joffrey's.

No. Joffrey was incompetent, stupid and a tool. Villains like him are entertaining for a while but he got way too much screentime and was getting tiresome.

Also they did a disservice to his character. In the first season he was a cruel, spoiled brat but despite that he could have some moments of self awareness, realizing what a coward he was, and displayed some limited intelligence and affection. His sadism was there and made sense that it increased when he was given almost unlimited power. He was scary, he was insecure, he was disturbing and he was believable. By season 3 he is a clueless fool whose only purpose in the narrative is to act like a sadistic moron that loses most of his unpredictability. It made sense for him to be detached from reality but he was turned into an impossible joke of a person.

Ramsay in the books is not devoid of depth. He is a pure nightmare, but he is also cunning, unpredictable and has an understandable father issues and a desire to hide his own identity and the horror that was the reason of his existence. In the show he retains some elements of this but he is mostly just a chaotic jokey monster.

Jack Gleeson was incredible in this role. I miss both him and the character. Joff just really seemed to have a blast being the sadistic, evil little fuck.

I do hope Jack comes out of retirement and returns to acting. He sights Joaquin Phoenix as an influence, and he retired early in his career and came back so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Archived