The REAL spoiler of Valyrian Steel kills Others

Wolf of the Steppes

Tyrion remarks on what he thinks the number of VS blades in Westeros there are, but it seems like 200, or even 100, is a huge overestimation. Where are they, if they exist, and why are they never mentioned?

They only mention a handful of them throughout the books, when they seem to be a hugely significant asset to any house.

Ice and Longclaw seem to be the only two swords coming out of the North (obviously Ice is now two, and one is held by someone who would be hugely effective. Brienne would ride like mad if it was her duty to save the 7K, but does anyone think Tommen or any person taking over his blade would volunteer either themselves or Widows Wail for someone else to survive?)

Tarly has one. Harlaw has one. Celitgar may have an axe. There is a VS dagger that is probably back with LIttlefinger (good luck with that). Corbrays. The Westerlings? Does Dawn count?

Outside of those, it seems pretty unlikely, to me at least, that there are between 90-190 more swords in Westeros that just havent been mentioned.

yeah and how man of the people who have them really want to get in the fight against what they feel are imaginary monsters? how many will be killed before the fight really gets started?

It is great news but unless someone starts making more it was at best helpful not game changing.

Tyrion remarks on what he thinks the number of VS blades in Westeros there are, but it seems like 200, or even 100, is a huge overestimation. Where are they, if they exist, and why are they never mentioned?

They only mention a handful of them throughout the books, when they seem to be a hugely significant asset to any house.

Ice and Longclaw seem to be the only two swords coming out of the North (obviously Ice is now two, and one is held by someone who would be hugely effective. Brienne would ride like mad if it was her duty to save the 7K, but does anyone think Tommen or any person taking over his blade would volunteer either themselves or Widows Wail for someone else to survive?)

Tarly has one. Harlaw has one. Celitgar may have an axe. There is a VS dagger that is probably back with LIttlefinger (good luck with that). Corbrays. The Westerlings? Does Dawn count?

Outside of those, it seems pretty unlikely, to me at least, that there are between 90-190 more swords in Westeros that just havent been mentioned.

I agree, that's why they are so special--not everyone has them. If there were even 100, nearly every house would have one, and don't you think with all of their riches and power the Lannister's could have managed to get their hands on a sword since theirs was lost.

This scarcity, makes them even more important, and makes it important that everyone work together.

Yep. Firstly we don't know how many Others there actually are. For all we know there could be 100's or 1000's of them. Secondly there are still the Zombies to contend with. Valyrian steel is all very well before if a 100 Zombie's descend on you at once....

:agree:

yeah and how man of the people who have them really want to get in the fight against what they feel are imaginary monsters? how many will be killed before the fight really gets started?

It is great news but unless someone starts making more it was at best helpful not game changing.

Agreed. You can probably get Brienne to join Jon to do battle against the WW. If Randyll dies at some point, and Dickon isnt a tiny kid like he mostly is, you may have a chance of getting Sam to convince his little brother to join the fight. Possibly Rodrick Harlaw, since he's actually educated.

So thats 3 maybe 4. And the best hope for two of the famous greatswords in battle are most likely to be held by two young kids, Dickon Tarly and Edric Dayne.

My larger point it that Tyrion's guess of around 200 or so blades just seems wildly inaccurate, which is strange for Tyrion, but maybe not so strange if he thinks its nothing more than a fancy designer sword.

Agreed. You can probably get Brienne to join Jon to do battle against the WW. If Randyll dies at some point, and Dickon isnt a tiny kid like he mostly is, you may have a chance of getting Sam to convince his little brother to join the fight. Possibly Rodrick Harlaw, since he's actually educated.

So thats 3 maybe 4. And the best hope for two of the famous greatswords in battle are most likely to be held by two young kids, Dickon Tarly and Edric Dayne.

My larger point it that Tyrion's guess of around 200 or so blades just seems wildly inaccurate, which is strange for Tyrion, but maybe not so strange if he thinks its nothing more than a fancy designer sword.

i think around two hundred make sense as many be you buy a weapon like that one sword from the corpse killer guy in a sword sell company or a sword is lost or not seen in 50 years.

Like is Dark sister missing or just being kept waiting? who knows.

i think around two hundred make sense as many be you buy a weapon like that one sword from the corpse killer guy in a sword sell company or a sword is lost or not seen in 50 years.

Like is Dark sister missing or just being kept waiting? who knows.

Even the known VS swords that are missing are only a handful.

Blackyre (possibly given by Illryio to Aegon, possibly handled by the Golden Company)

Dark Sister - last known owner was Bloodraven. People speculate he wouldnt have been able to take it to the Wall with him, I think he probably did.

Brightroar - lost in Valyria

So then we have some mentions of a possible Celtigar axe, we have House Drumm of the Iron Islands, and we have a vague story about Tywin trying to purchase blades from impoverished houses that refused to sell. So even if we take all those swords with the ones we know about, we're barely breaking double digits. I just dont see how the story could then populate another 80-180 blades with Houses no one has yet mentioned.

From TWOIAF, Valyria's Children:

The Valyrian steel blades that remain in the world might number in the thousands, but in the Seven Kingdoms there are only 227 such weapons according to Archmaester Thurgood's Inventories, some of which have since been lost or have disappeared from the annals of history.

From TWOIAF, Valyria's Children:

The Valyrian steel blades that remain in the world might number in the thousands, but in the Seven Kingdoms there are only 227 such weapons according to Archmaester Thurgood's Inventories, some of which have since been lost or have disappeared from the annals of history.

Thank you for the clarification. So in the 300 years since the Doom, they maybe still have what around 200?

Archived