By whose authority did Jon kill Janos Slynt?

That's rude and dismissive. My argument is sound, people just don't take the frickin time necessary to fully understand the key concepts.

My laughter was not directed toward you, because I had not even read your posts. It was in response to the statement I read (& even the need to say it). I'm sorry if you were offended.

However, I have now read all your posts and do not see a sound argument. Janos' value as a GC commander would only be useful if he followed commands as well as he gave them. He was proven to be untrustworthy and insubordinate. Jon was not required to earn his respect to expect him to abide by the laws/rules of his position. Personal respect should be earned, NOT respect for one's commanding officer.

Too late, damage is done. I finished reading your first critical post and stumbled blind into the duplicate critical post.. Just hoping for some redemption or common ground. There was none.

Instead, it feels like I got slapped to one side then back again.

Well, really, you can't hold me responsible for reading a post twice when I immediately deleted the second. I don't want to make you feel bad, but you gotta know people are gonna dispute the requirement of NW men to follow reasonable commands from LC no matter who LC is. And you gotta know that sympathy for Janos Slynt isn't gonna be popular without sound reasoning.

His sons are no longer lowborn, instead they are knights. This gives them increased opportunities and rights which they would not have access normally. So his actions did increase his family standing which is laudable.

He rose from a butchers son to commander of the city watch to lord of Harrenhal, Irregardless of morality that is impressive.

If Tywin can be redeemed by his admin skills then Janos can be redeemed by the care he gave his family and the sheer impressiveness of his rise because neither of these things carry any inherent moral value.

His sons elevated social status is merely a side-effect of his "illustrious" tenure as commander of the Goldcloaks. And I do admit there is something impressive in managing to steal and murder one's way from rags to riches but that hardly makes Janos a sympathetic character with redeeming qualities.

You are free to like a character who is a morally bankrupt rat (just as I am free to like a character that is brutal and vindictive), only thing I am asking from you (and all the other Slyntees) is that you are honest about it. Slynt is clearly one of the worse people in the series, though obviously nowhere near the worst.

You are free to like a character who is a morally bankrupt rat (just as I am free to like a character that is brutal and vindictive), only thing I am asking from you (and all the other Slyntees) is that you are honest about it. Slynt is clearly one of the worse people in the series, though obviously nowhere near the worst.

He's a bad dude but he's not one of the worst characters in the book, his worst act was the killing of Roberts bastards and if he didn't do it he would probably die and so would his family depending on how Cersie felt. This puts him in the same category as premainming Jaime and Sandor clegane as all three of them killed children under duress. That isn't very evil in a world of Ramsay, Roose, Gregor, Quyburn, Drogo, Cersie, The great masters, Euron, Aerys, Littlfinger, Varys, Craster, the others and even moonboy for all I know.

TO get back on topic I have no problem with him being executed, it's a medieval world dude disobeyed orders, shit happens

That's not a universal medieval concept and kinda fits more into the Renascence I think. In any case Westeros does not seem to have it

Westerns seems to have more of a "Mandate of Heaven" mindset (if the King is an evil shithead, his dynasty no longer has a right to the throne).

Archived