Dany Can't Have More Dragons

KingStannisFan

Does the text say anywhere that they were weaker and smaller due to inbreeding?  I was under the impression that it was because dragons raised in the dragonpit/captivity didn't grow as large.

Not that I can recall.  The dragons raised in KL were smaller then the original 3 because they grew up in the dragonpit and we're told that dragons will grow as large as their environment will allow.  But I think they other posters are talking about that last ones to hatch that were stunted, weak and died early on.  And that was a result of the maester's meddling. 

Not that I can recall.  The dragons raised in KL were smaller then the original 3 because they grew up in the dragonpit and we're told that dragons will grow as large as their environment will allow.  But I think they other posters are talking about that last ones to hatch that were stunted, weak and died early on.  And that was a result of the maester's meddling. 

Can someone please get me updated again. Where did the maester intervene? And why? Or is this crackpot?

"In King's Landing, your ancestors raised an immense domed castle for their dragons. The Dragonpit, it is called. It still stands atop the Hill of Rhaenys, though all in ruins now. That was where the royal dragons dwelt in days of yore, and a cavernous dwelling it was, with iron doors so wide that thirty knights could ride through them abreast. Yet even so, it was noted that none of the pit dragons ever reached the size of their ancestors. The maesters say it was because of the walls around them, and the great dome above their heads."

"Should. It's held two oxen." The Corpsekiller was garbed as a Brazen Beast, his seamed, scarred face hidden behind a cobra mask, but the familiar black arakh slung at his hip gave him away. "We were told these beasts are smaller than the queen's monster."
"The pit has slowed their growth." Quentyn's readings had suggested that the same thing had occurred in the Seven Kingdoms. None of the dragons bred and raised in the Dragonpit of King's Landing had ever approached the size of Vhagar or Meraxes, much less that of the Black Dread, King Aegon's monster. "Have you brought sufficient chains?"

Archived