Why no foul play at the trident?

Karlsmakinmusic

There is no indication Rhaegar cheated at the tourney, people have twisted Barristans words on that.  He did not say if only I hadn't let him win, or anything like that, he said if only I'd been a better knight I could have crowned Ashara and saved so much death.

People seem to not like to take GRRM at his word on some things.  He gave us Jorah winning the tourney at Lannisport, he gave us Lyanna being successful at Harrenhal, he invented a 13 year old jousting girl named Lady Lance, and a 12 year old magical ninja assassin, if he wants someone to win a tourney because of a woman, that's really not a stretch in this book.

I have to admit that I've wondered numerous times about Rhaegar's rubies. IIRC it's mentioned numerous times that he has a breastplate full of rubies and then later we see Mance getting glamoured with a ruby. But I've been able to get anywhere with a theory that doesn't require a lot of assumptions and their are just too many questions, such as who put the glamour on him? Why? Where did he go? Why hasn't he done anything about the prophecy? ect...

If Rhaegar is alive it would be one of the worst reveals IMHO

Firstly, rubies don't indicate galmouring. Mel used one with Mance, but she can use different methods for the purpose. 

Second, there didn't need to be outside hanky-panky at Harrenhall. Those knights could have seen the desirability of not unhorsing the Crown Prince, who might be their next boss. We do see in the Dunk & Egg books that nobody wanted to stand up to Baelor Breakspear in the Trial of Seven.

Archived