Explaining ASoIaF dreams with real world dream symbols

I find the dreams in the books mighty interesting, so I thought it could be interesting to try and explain them by using real world dream explanations. 

Let me set the "rules":

1. Try to treat the dreams like a dream you or a friend had, without pulling too much knowledge of the books, foreshadowing, and magical creatures into it. Sometimes this cannot be avoided, but I think it's best if we try to stick to what the character knows at the time of the dream as much as possible, and then make connections back to the books with the symbols from the real world.

2. You can use books on dream explanation, or the internet. I'll use the last, since I don't have any such books. You can also use stuff like tarot, or whatever else you have knowledge of, if you feel it makes sense. As long as it's something that is used in the real world to explain dreams.

3. You can pick any sort of dream from the books, from Bran's falling dream, to fever dreams, to wolf dreams, whatever interests you. Visions are also allowed since they can be seen as waking dreams. 

4. Feel free to add and comment on dreams that others have tried to explain.

5. Try to decipher the whole dream, figuring out as many symbols you can find. When you've finished the dream start to end you can also evaluate the main subject, and look at the things that happen right afterwards, or later in the book. 

I'll start myself with Jaime's weirwood treestump dream, since I've just read that one for other reasons.

Naked and alone he stood, surrounded by enemies, with stone walls all around him pressing close. The Rock, he knew. He could feel the immense weight of it above his head. He was home. He was home and whole.

The dream starts by Jaime being naked. We don't know how he feels about that, so we can only assume that he's neutral about it. Let's have a look at nakedness in dreams.

What do naked dreams mean?

The clothes we wear in waking life help identify us – they represent how we want others to see us. Clothes also hide our imperfect bodies, and metaphorically, our emotional and psychological imperfections. When we aren’t wearing clothes we are stripped of our identity and others can see us as we really are.

Since Jaime in this dream is surrounded by (unidentified) enemies, this seems to suggest that his enemies see him as he really is. He also has lost his identity.

If you experience negative emotions when naked in your dreams

It may suggest you are feeling vulnerable or insecure.

You may be afraid that you or your actions will be exposed to others.

You may be feeling ashamed of yourself for something you said or did.

The phrase, “the naked truth” comes to mind and so you may be “baring your soul” to someone or you are being open and honest with yourself about something.

You may have recently revealed a secret about yourself to someone, or the dream may be telling you that you should.

If you are trying to hide your nakedness, consider asking yourself what it is you are hiding from yourself or others in waking life. What truth are you trying to deny?

If you experience positive or neutral emotions when naked in your dreams

It may symbolize freedom, feeling uninhibited and true to yourself.

You may feel comfortable with who you are and love and accept yourself as you are.

You may be unconcerned about what others think about you.

You may have a clear conscience and/or you are self-confident.

I think the bolded parts are most applicable to Jaime. Since opening up to Catelyn at Riverrun, he has started a path where he's begun 'baring his soul', and he's at least trying to be more open and honest than he used to be. He's also unconcerned about what others think of him, which might be why his nakedness doesn't seem to make him uncomfortable.

Now let's look at the rest of the sentence. He is naked and alone.

Alone 
To dream that you are alone indicates feelings of rejection. You may be feeling that no one understand you.

What do lonely dreams mean?

* May suggest a period of isolation.

* May represent feeling depressed or abandoned.

* May symbolize a desire for companionship or socializing.

* May symbolize an ignored or rejected aspect of yourself.

One of Jaime's issues is that he feels rejected, and misunderstood by the world. Although is not clear if he actually feels lonely, I do think this applies. Jaime has been feeling depressed about losing his hand, and that at this time he does desire companionship, in the form of Brienne, who happens to appear later in his dream. I also think the symbol of an ignored, and rejected aspect of himself applies; that of honesty, and kindness.

What does it mean that he's surrounded by enemies?

What do Enemy dreams mean?

* May symbolize inner conflicting ideas, thoughts, and/or emotions.

* May symbolize an aspect of yourself that you need to confront and deal with.

* May suggest you are in a dangerous relationship.

* May represent an enemy in waking life.

Jaime definitely struggles with inner conflict. The oaths he swore vs saving the city, protecting queen Rhaella etc. He also struggles with feelings for Brienne that he doesn't understand, and feelings for Cersei who has a bad influence on him, which I believe he doesn't like about himself.

Losing his hand triggers him to see himself in a different light, and make decisions that are not based on his prowess with a sword. Part of this is looking at the consequences of things he's done in the past.

Cersei is a dangerous relationship!

After this the dream is about his location. He's home, and whole, and this seems comforting, but at the same time the walls are pressing close, and he feels the weight of Casterly Rock above him.

What do walls dreams mean?

* Walls - Walls may symbolize the invisible barrier you have erected around yourself for protection. Walls may also symbolize limitations, obstructions or boundaries you have encountered in some aspect of life.

* Consider the figures of speech that reference walls: 1) see the writing on the wall (to anticipate something bad about to happen by observing small hints and clues.) 2) to be a fly on the wall (to wish you were there in secret so you can see and hear what happens) 3) beat your head against the wall (waste your time on an impossible task) 4) like talking to the wall (to talk to someone that is not listening) 5) have your back against the wall (to be in a situation that limits what you can do) 6) run into a stone wall (to come to an obstacle or barrier that prevents further progress) You may think of others that make sense in the context of your dream.

Jaime has walls around him for protection, like the humor, and sneers he uses to keep people at a distance. But these walls are pressing close, and make him feel limited.

What do rock dreams mean?

* May symbolize stubbornness or rigidity.

* May represent something from the past you haven't let go of yet.

* May represent rock music.

* May represent certain kinds of drugs.

* May represent some of the minerals that make up your body.

* May represent an ancient spiritual connection to the Earth.

* May represent forming a strong opinion from experience.

* May represent something that feels solid or substantial.

* May symbolize an obstacle, difficulty or annoyance.

"The Rock" he thinks, and I think in this dream the Rock represents his father. Tywin has had a huge influence on all his children, and even though he feels "solid and substantial" he's also rigid and hard. I think This means that Jaime needs to let go of (aspects of) his father, because they are an obstacle to his inner growth. He feels the immense weight of his father above him.

What do weight (heavy) dreams mean?

* May represent feeling overburdened or encumbered.

* May symbolize feeling stronger.

* May symbolize importance, power, or influence.

* May represent feelings surrounding loss or gain.

* May suggest concerns about body image.

The weight in this dream is the influence of Tywin Lannister, which is a great burden to Jaime.

Yet he thinks he's home and whole again.

What do home dreams mean?

* May represent memories.

* May symbolize family.

* May represent comfort, love, and belonging.

* May represent your physical body.

In this case it represents family, but not in a positive way, because he's surrounded by enemies and it limits him.

I can't find an explanation for feeling whole, so I'll move on. This will be a long post anyway ;)

He held his right hand up and flexed his fingers to feel the strength in them. It felt as good as sex. As good as swordplay. Four fingers and a thumb. He had dreamed that he was maimed, but it wasn’t so. Relief made him dizzy. My hand, my good hand. Nothing could hurt him so long as he was whole.

He dreams that he has dreamed his hand was cut of, but now he has it again. Since there isn't really much to find on dreams about regaining a hand, lets look at what it means to have a hand cut off in a dream.

Your Hands Cut Off

To dreams about your hands being cut off may represent feeling like you have no control or you feel powerless in a situation.

You may be unable or unwilling to ask for help.

You may be feeling like you can’t “handle” or deal with a situation.

May symbolize feeling like you don’t have a ‘handle on’ or understanding of a situation.

So basically in real life Jaime has lost control, and feels powerless, but in his dream he has only dreamt this. He is in control, but he's also willing and able to ask for help. which is supported by his thought that nothing can hurt him as long as he is whole.

Apparently Jaime followed this tip: 

Lucidity Tip

The practice of looking at your hands while awake and then seeing them in a dream is used as signal to become lucid in the dream. Each time you see your hands, ask yourself, “Am I dreaming now?”

and drew the conclusion he had been dreaming that his hand was cut of ;) 

Around him stood a dozen tall dark figures in cowled robes that hid their faces. In their hands were spears. “Who are you?” he demanded of them. “What business do you have in Casterly Rock?”

There are twelve anonymous figures surrounding him. They have spears, and he feels like they have no business in his home.

What do twelve (12) dreams mean?

* May represent a date or time.

* May represent the month of December.

* May symbolize when you were twelve years old.

* May symbolize twelve years ago, or twelve years from now.

* May symbolize the passage of one year in time.

Possible puns, metaphors & archetypes:

* The twelve houses of the Zodiac.

* The twelve Apostles of Christ.

Questions to ask yourself:

* What happened when I was twelve?

* What happened twelve years ago?

* What do I want to happen in twelve years?

I can't figure out exactly what the twelve figures respresent. I think Jaime and Cersei where younger than twelve when their mother died. Jaime killed Aerys more than twelve years ago, so I don't think it has anything to do with time. Perhaps ther represent twelve people who have died because of him, but we can't be sure. The number might not have meaning at all, so let's leave this open.

What do Hidden dreams mean?

* May represent a secret.

* May symbolize something that is overlooked.

* May represent a pretense or falsehood.

* May represent hiding something from yourself or others.

* A hidden agenda. (A secret plan.)

* What am I hiding from myself and /or others?

The hidden faces seem to represent some kind of secret surrounding Jaime, perhaps a falsehood, or a conspiracy. Lets dive a bit deeper into this:

What do faceless person dreams mean?

* May suggest searching for identity.

* May suggest there's something you can't 'see' as clearly as you would like.

* May suggest feeling unsure about how to present yourself to the world.

* May suggest not feeling as if you know how others perceive you.

* May suggest feeling unsure of how to 'read' or 'see' people and their emotions.

* May suggest an aspect of yourself that you are unwilling to recognize (your shadow).

* May suggest feelings of guilt for ignoring someone in need.

Although the people in his dream are not literally faceless (as far as we know), it's close enough, and I think all of the above apply to Jaime. He is searching for a new identity since losing his hand, and I think there are things around him he hasn't figured out yet. It's interesting that this explanation also suggests that he has difficulty seeing and reading others, because he himself is naked, and thus seen the way he really is.I also think Jaime will discover about himself, and the rest of this dream pays a lot of attention to that. 

Jaime obviously feels guilty about leaving Brienne behind.

Now lets look at people who break into your house:

What do house dreams mean?

Since we live in our house in waking life, your house in a dream usually represents you or your physical body (the dwelling of your soul).

House Break-in

If you dream your house has been broken into, you may be feeling threatened, physically or emotionally abused or it may symbolize an invasion of privacy or disregard for personal boundaries.

I think this is symbolic for the loss of his hand. People have messed with his body.

How about the spears?

Spear 
To dream that you are throwing spear indicates that you are thrusting forth your will and your power into a situation. It refers to your strength and commitment. A spear is also seen as a phallic symbol and thus represent a sexual situation.

To see a spear in your dream symbolizes power and fertility.

Since others have the spears, it shows that Jaime is in a situation where others have power over him.

They gave no answer, only prodded him with the points of their spears. He had no choice but to descend. Down a twisting passageway he went, narrow steps carved from the living rock, down and down. I must go up, he told himself. Up, not down. Why am I going down? Below the earth his doom awaited, he knew with the certainty of dream; something dark and terrible lurked there, something that wanted him. Jaime tried to halt, but their spears prodded him on. If only I had my sword, nothing could harm me.

The enemies in his dream are thrusting forth their will and power on Jaime, leaving him no choice to go his own way.

What do down dreams mean?

* May represent feeling low or sad.

* Going down to the ground may symbolize becoming more grounded.

* Going down under the ground may symbolize going deeper into the subconscious.

* May represent goose feathers.

* May represent a fall in income, stocks or anything else that rises and falls.

Jaime is forced to go down into depression, but also his subconscious. He doesn't want to, but is left no other option. There is an indication that it has something to do with his father, since the steps are carved from the living rock, which represents Tywin and his influence.

Let's have a closer look at the steps:

What do stairs dreams mean?

* Stairs/Staircase/Stairway - Stairs and staircases may symbolize a rise or fall in finances, social stature or your level of consciousness; or may symbolize a place of transition, growth or change.

* Going upstairs may represent your Higher Self or knowledge

* Going upstairs may represent reaching a higher level of understanding or awareness. Going downstairs may suggest descending deeper into yourself or your unconscious

* Upstairs may represent a connection to Spirit or Source

* Stairs may be a pun on "stares" - do you feel you are being watched?

* Upstairs may refer to the brain, mind or head

Although a fall in Jaime's finances and social stature might happen for Jaime, I think that in this dream it represents he's descending into his subconscious, and it has something to do with Tywin (that he doesn't want to know/or to happen).

Jaime doesn't want to go down to his subconscious because something dark and terrible awaits him there, that wants him.

What do dark dreams mean?

* May represent ignorance or being unaware.

* May represent the unconscious.

* May represent someone or something evil, negative or bad.

* May represent the unknown.

* May represent something that is hidden or that can't be seen.

* May represent something that you are refusing to see or that you are denying.

* May symbolize something mysterious, and possibly attractive.

Again this is a symbol of discovering something in his subconscious that he doesn't want to know. He's refusing to see it, or denying it, and it could either be something evil and negative, but also something mysterious and attractive. Whatever is down there in his subconscious, it wants him to find out.

And Jaime thinks it's his doom.

What do doom dreams mean?

* May symbolize a dangerous situation.

* May represent feeling overwhelmed or out of control.

* May symbolize the end of something negative and the beginning of something positive.

* May symbolize feelings about guilt, blame or punishment.

* May represent feelings about failure.

* May represent feeling something is ruined.

* May symbolize feeling judgmental.

* May represent pessimism or focusing on negativity.

* What is ending in my life, and what is beginning?

I think this is all about Brienne at this point. His guilt about leaving her behind, his feelings of being powerless to help her, but also the end of his relationship with Cersei, and the start of one with Brienne.

Then he wishes for his sword, because then he'd be whole again, even though just before he felt whole having both his hands. So it seems he needs his sword to be able to take action, and save either Brienne or his relationship with Cersei. For either one he needs to be "whole", or one of them will make him feel "whole" again.

What do Sword dreams mean?

* May symbolize authority or control.

* May be a phallic symbol.

* May symbolize being competitive.

* May symbolize strength and determination.

He wishes for his sword, so that he can have the authority, control, and determination to go up again; to leave his depression, but also the subconscious levels of his mind. 

The steps ended abruptly on echoing darkness. Jaime had the sense of vast space before him. He jerked to a halt, teetering on the edge of nothingness. A spearpoint jabbed at the small of the back, shoving him into the abyss.

We already found out what darkness means, but this darkness echoes.

What do echo dreams mean?

* May symbolize the need for a message to be repeated either internally, or externally to others.

* May suggest testing the bounds of self-expression.

* May suggest actions or words that are reflecting back in waking life, as with synchronicities or karma.

* May suggest your unconscious speaking to you.

* May symbolize feeling mocked.

* May represent something recurring in your life because you're not getting the message yet.

So darkness has to do with discovering something in your subconscious, and echoes are your subconscious speaking to you. It also seems that whatever he needs to find out about himself has karma like influence on his waking life. You could argue that the abuse and rape awaiting Brienne, echoes the abuse and rape of queen Rhaella, where he didn't take action.

You can also consider that, since he's inside the Tywin Rock, he's testing the bounds of self expression (he jerked to a halt) on the edge of darkness/the unknown, only to be forced deeper into the Tywin trap.

What do abyss dreams mean?

* May symbolize a depressing situation.

* May symbolize emotional depression.

* May represent being deep within the unconscious and afraid of what might be discovered there.

Jaime falls into a depression, which indeed is happening in his waking life, and he also goes deeper into his subconscious.

He shouted, but the fall was short. He landed on his hands and knees, upon soft sand and shallow water. There were watery caverns deep below Casterly Rock, but this one was strange to him. “What place is this?”

He falls into depression, but it won't be a long and deep one. He also goes deeper into his subconscious, but not as deep as he has suspected. Let's see what this soft sand and shallow water are about.

What do sand dreams mean?

Dreaming of sand may represent the border between the conscious (beach/land) and unconscious (ocean/water) minds.

May represent time passing by.

May represent a shift in your perspective or attitude.

May symbolize an unstable foundation -- the basis of your actions, thoughts or beliefs may not be set firmly in truth or reality.

May suggest being unsure about your next step.

So Jaime lands on the border of his conscious and ubconscious mind, where his perspective, and attitude are changing. It also seems that his beliefs are not entirely true, and again we're inside the Tywin Rock, so he might find something out about his father that he didn't know yet. Which is also suggested by that this part of the Rock is unknown to him.

He also hasn't figured out whether he'll go for (helping) Brienne or straight to Cersei.

Now let's look at the water. There's a whole lot on water, so I'll just put the basic part here:

What do water dreams mean?

* Water is one of the most common dream symbols and is usually associated with the emotions and the unconscious. Large bodies of water (ocean, lake, pool) usually represent the unconscious itself.

Water 
To see water in your dream symbolizes your subconscious and your emotional state of mind. Water is the living essence of the psyche and the flow of life energy. It is also symbolic of spirituality, knowledge, healing and refreshment. 

Dreaming about fire and water together symbolizes a polarizing issue in your waking life

This is not a large body of water, but it might be connected to one. The fact that it's shallow means that he didn't dive deep into his subconscious yet. Since he gets a flaming sword later I thought to copy the fire and water part. 

Jaime finds himself in a place inside the (Tywin?) Rock that he doesn't know.

What do places (locations) dreams mean?

* May represent a part of your body, mind, or soul.

* May represent a place you would like to go, or a place that is calling to you.

* May suggest a decision-making process about where to work, play, and live.

* May symbolize friends, family, or colleagues who live there.

* May symbolize any memories or associations you have with this location.

* May represent someone or something from this place.

This is either about Jaime finding out about a part of himself he's not discovered yet, or it has something to do with Tywin. Could be both. He doesn't have memories of this place, but that may be because he has denied them to himself.

“Your place.” The voice echoed; it was a hundred voices, a thousand, the voices of all the Lannisters since Lann the Clever, who’d lived at the dawn of days. But most of all it was his father’s voice, and beside Lord Tywin stood his sister, pale and beautiful, a torch burning in her hand. Joffrey was there as well, the son they’d made together, and behind them a dozen more dark shapes with golden hair.

Jaime really needs to find out about this place, or memory. Apparently all the Lannisters want him to know, and are again echoing, since he doesn't seem to get the message.

Cersei has a torch:

What do Torch dreams mean?

* May symbolize spiritual enlightenment or greater awareness.

* May represent leading or showing the way to others.

Funny. Although I don't think Cersei is the most spiritually enlightened one, this might indicate that Cersei, or something cersei does, will enlighten Jaime.

“Sister, why has Father brought us here?”
“Us? This is your place, Brother. This is your darkness.” Her torch was the only light in the cavern. Her torch was the only light in the world. She turned to go.
“Stay with me,” Jaime pleaded. “Don’t leave me here alone.” But they were leaving. “Don’t leave me in the dark!” Something terrible lived down here. “Give me a sword, at least.”
“I gave you a sword,” Lord Tywin said.

So basically it's Tywin who has put Jaime in this place of his subconscious. It's Jaime's subconscious, and he needs to discover it alone. Jaime sees Cersei as the only way to enlightenment in the world (torch), but she leaves him alone. If we look back; being alone is related to feelings of rejection and being misunderstood. Feelings Tywin has caused.

Jaime asks for a sword: being in control/strength/determination, to which Tywin answers that he gave him that.

It was at his feet. Jaime groped under the water until his hand closed upon the hilt. Nothing can hurt me so long as I have a sword. As he raised the sword a finger of pale flame flickered at the point and crept up along the edge, stopping a hand’s breath from the hilt. The fire took on the color of the steel itself so it burned with a silvery-blue light, and the gloom pulled back. Crouching, listening, Jaime moved in a circle, ready for anything that might come out of the darkness. The water flowed into his boots, ankle deep and bitterly cold. Beware the water, he told himself. There may be creatures living in it, hidden deeps . . .

So the strength Jaime needs is there, but he needs to reach into his subconscious (water) to get it. When he has it it starts burning. We've learned earlier that fire and water together symbolises a dilemma.

What do flame dreams mean?

* May suggest light is being shed on something that you were 'in the dark' about before.

* May suggest an old flame that you may still be trying to inwardly resolve feelings about, even if you thought they were resolved.

* May suggest purification in some waking life circumstance or relationship.

* May symbolize a tool for inner transformation.

* May represent the flame of creativity.

* May represent ceremony, or spirituality.

So Jaime reaches into his subconscious gets his strength, and it starts flaming; shedding light on things he's been in the dark about before. And again there are signs of an inner transformation, and relationship changes in his life. Note that Cersei, with her flaming torch has already walked away from him. Now he has his own light. What does this mean?

What do light (illumination) dreams mean?

* May symbolize insight, greater understanding, or an "aha!" moment.

* May symbolize the truth "shedding light" onto a situation or problem.

* May suggest new information or experiences being revealed.

* May represent guidance.

* May represent spiritual awareness.

* How bright is the light? (A dull light may suggest a less clear understanding or insight than a bright light.)

* What are my associations to the color of the light?

* Where is the light?

* What is getting lit?

So Jaime gains a greater understanding of the situation he is in, and starts to discover the truth. However he's afraid of the truth, and the things that hide in his subconscious.He now notices the water is bitterly cold.

The condition or state of the water may represent the emotions. For instance:

1) cold water may symbolize feeling or being cold, distant or unemotional

So Jaime realises as soon as he sheds his own light on things, that he's cold, distant and unemotional.

now his light is silvery-blue.

What do silver dreams mean?

Since silver is shiny and reflective it may represent anything that reflects light such as the moon or a mirror. When we think about memories, we are reflecting and so silver may symbolize memories.

What do blue dreams mean?

* May symbolize the feminine receptive side.

* May symbolize motherhood.

* May symbolize Earth.

* May symbolize oceans or sky.

May symbolize communication.

So the light Jaime sheds has to do with memories and (self-) reflection, his feminine receptive side, and/ or communication.

Beware the water he thinks, he's scared of his subconscous, because there may be things hidden there, that he doesn't want to see, now that he has his own light. creatures...

What do creature dreams mean?

* May symbolize an unacknowledged or rejected aspect of yourself.

* May represent fear of the unknown.

* May symbolize feeling like an outcast.

* May represent a shadow or unrecognizable aspect of self.

* May represent an animal.

* May symbolize internalized feelings and images from watching horror films or other media of that genre.

* Creature comforts. (The things that make you comfortable.)

* May be a pun on 'create your.'

So unless Jaime has watched too many horror films, this again shows he's afraid of discovering hidden truths and aspects of himself. The pun art is also interesting, because it could suggest that Jaime is afraid to create his own future, which might be the undiscovered aspect of himself.

From behind came a great splash. Jaime whirled toward the sound . . . but the faint light revealed only Brienne of Tarth, her hands bound in heavy chains. “I swore to keep you safe,” the wench said stubbornly. “I swore an oath.” Naked, she raised her hands to Jaime. “Ser. Please. If you would be so good.”

Brienne disturbes the water (Jaime's subconscious), which startles him, but when he finds out it's Brienne, he seems relieved. So Brienne is not the thing in his subconsious he's scared of, even though she disturbs it, and his light reveals her to him.

What do chains dreams mean?

* May symbolize being bound to something or someone.

* May symbolize securing something valuable or vulnerable.

* May represent being held back or prevented from moving forward.

* May symbolize a need to feel free from someone or something, such as an idea, habit, or situation.

Brienne is chained, which means she's being held back by the situation she's in. The chains she's wearing are not her oath, because her hands are tied together, not to him. 

What do oath dreams mean?

* May symbolize commitment, allegiance, loyalty or devotion.

* May represent promises.

* May symbolize truthfulness.

* May represent feeling the need to come clean about something.

Brienne declares that she swore an oath, by which she basically shows him that she's comitted, loyal and truthful. Perhans she also feels the need to come clean about her feelings for Jaime ;)

Brienne is also naked, which means he sees her the way she truly is, which he couldn't with cersei, and the other hooded figures, who he first described as enemies.

To see someone else naked

You may be seeing them as they really are.

You may have discovered a secret about them and/or you are accepting them as they are – imperfections and all.

If they are hiding their nakedness from you, then you may know they are lying or deceiving you in some way in waking life.

To see someone else naked may also suggest that you find them sexually attractive and you would like to get to know them better.

I don't think I need to explain this ^

Then she asks him to break her chains. which can both be interpreted as that he needs to save het from Vargo Hoat, but also that he can free her of her inner chains that hold her back, like her shyness.

The steel links parted like silk. “A sword,” Brienne begged, and there it was, scabbard, belt, and all. She buckled it around her thick waist. The light was so dim that Jaime could scarcely see her, though they stood a scant few feet apart. In this light she could almost be a beauty, he thought. In this light she could almost be a knight. Brienne’s sword took flame as well, burning silvery blue. The darkness retreated a little more.

What do Silk dreams mean?

* May symbolize luxury.

* May symbolize sensuality and sex.

When Jaime breaks Brienne's chains this is described with a word that indicates sensuality and sex.

Brienne then asks for a sword, which we know represents strength, and determination. She gets the whole thing with all it's attributes, unlike Jaime, indicating she's more in touch with it/has more of it/is more her own person.

Then Jaime notes that in this light, the light that HE shines on her, she could almost be a beauty.

* Seeing the beauty in another may indicate a need to look at someone in a more positive way, or the current ability to see their beauty.

and she could almost be a knight.

What do knight dreams mean?

* May suggest feeling like it's time to defend or protect someone or something.

* May represent feeling courageous, strong, powerful, heroic or superior.

* May symbolize feeling guarded or insulated.

* May reflect feeling someone is honorable, noble or trustworthy.

* May suggest feeling strategic, or a desire to move beyond some obstacle. (Chess piece.)

* May represent a desire to be rescued or swept off your feet.

So Jaime is both starting to see Brienne as the beautiful person she is (she's naked, so he sees her as she is), and he also perceives her as being noble, and honorable. She's also making him feel guarded, and perhaps he wishes to be swept of his feet by her.

Then Brienne's sword starts flaming silvery blue as well, so she helps him see his memories. 

“The flames will burn so long as you live,” he heard Cersei call. “When they die, so must you.”
“Sister!” he shouted. “Stay with me. Stay!” There was no reply but the soft sound of retreating footsteps.

So Jaime is told he might die in this dream.

What do death dreams mean?

Dreaming of death or dying may symbolize a phase in your life has come to an end and something new is beginning.

May represent an aspect of yourself that has died, so something new can emerge.

May symbolize overcoming a bad habit or behavior.

May represent the end of a relationship.

Since the people in your dreams often depict different aspects of yourself, then the person you see dead or dying is important to deciphering the dream. What does this person represent to you? For instance, a child dying can symbolize you are maturing in some way and leaving a childish aspect of yourself behind.

So Cersei tells Jaime that a phase in his life will end, and something new will begin. Part of this is the end of his relationship with her, indicated by her retreated footsteps. Another interesting thing is that he has 2 hands in his dream, so this could also be 2 handed Jaime dying, making room for a different 1 handed one.

About those retreating footsteps:

What do footsteps dreams mean?

* May suggest a desire for progress or advancement.

* May represent feeling anxious, panicked or uneasy.

* May symbolize feeling something or someone is after, following or stalking you. (May be a negative thought, guilt or bad habit.)

* May reflect a desire to walkaway from some situation or to take a new path in life.

It's not him walking away, but Cersei.There will be progress and advancement, but not in their relationship.

Brienne moved her longsword back and forth, watching the silvery flames shift and shimmer. Beneath her feet, a reflection of the burning blade shone on the surface of the flat black water. She was as tall and strong as he remembered, yet it seemed to Jaime that she had more of a woman’s shape now.

Brienne is shining her light on his subconscious, which creates a reflection the water is also flat and black now.

To dream of water that is black colored signifies an emotional void in some area of your life

Dreaming about fire and water together symbolizes a polarizing issue in your waking life. You are going through an emotional conflict and it is pulling you in two directions.

Reflection 
To see your reflection in your dream represents your true self; it is time to look within. The reflection may highlight both your flaws and positive attributes. Learn from your flaws and how to improve them. At the same time, appreciate your good qualities. Alternatively, your reflection indicates how you want others to perceive you.�

If you see a strange figure or something other than your own reflection, then it suggests that you are undergoing some identity crisis. You are not sure about who you are anymore.

To dream that you do not see your reflection in a mirror implies that you have lost your self-identity. Perhaps you have changed for the benefit of others that you don't know who you are anymore.

Jaime sees the reflection of Brienne's flaming sword in the water, he doesn't mention seeing himself or Brienne, yet he does see her strength. This combination of things symbolises that he is very confused about who he is, but it seems like Brienne's strength seems to be his point of hope.

He also notes how she's becoming more attractive to him.

“Do they keep a bear down here?” Brienne was moving, slow and wary, sword to hand; step, turn, and listen. Each step made a little splash. “A cave lion? Direwolves? Some bear? Tell me, Jaime. What lives here? What lives in the darkness?”
“Doom.” No bear, he knew. No lion. “Only doom.”

Again Brienne is splashing around in his subconscious. and asks what lives here

Bears and lions are both associated with strength, and ferocity, but Jaime says "Only doom" which we've learned before is associated with guilt.

In the cool silvery-blue light of the swords, the big wench looked pale and fierce. “I mislike this place.”
“I’m not fond of it myself.” Their blades made a little island of light, but all around them stretched a sea of darkness, unending. “My feet are wet.”

Jaime notes that his feet are wet, although it might also be Brienne who says this.

What do Wet dreams mean?

* May symbolize feeling overwhelmed by emotions.

* May represent a spiritual or emotional cleansing.

* A wet blanket (someone that is depressing or takes the fun out of something for everyone else)

* All wet (wrong)

* A wet dream (a nocturnal emission; a dream replete with a sexual orgasm.)

* Wet one's whistle (drink something)

* Get one's feet wet (to experience something for the first time)

So Jaime or both of them are overwhelmed by emotions, and there's some spiritual or emotional cleansing. They are also experiencing something for the first time, which may be their attraction to each other, but also other things.

“We could go back the way they brought us. If you climbed on my shoulders you’d have no trouble reaching that tunnel mouth.”
Then I could follow Cersei. He could feel himself growing hard at the thought, and turned away so Brienne would not see.

Brienne suggests that he could climb her shoulders

What do shoulders dreams mean?

* May suggest the burdens and responsibilities you are carrying on your shoulders.

* May symbolize support and strength.

She will support him, but he's also the responsibility she carries on her shoulders.

Jaime considers following Cersei, and hides that that arouses him.

What do horny dreams mean?

* May represent feeling excited or passionate about someone or something.

* May suggest the sexual arousal that occurs naturally during the REM period of sleep.

* May symbolize wanting to connect with masculine or feminine parts of yourself, to integrate the qualities those dream characters represent to you.

* May suggest feeling fertile, or desiring to conceive a child.

* May represent feeling tense and desiring to feel more relaxed.

* May represent someone you perceive to be lustful or sexually assertive.

Jaime still feels passionate about Cersei, and still wants to connect with her, and the qualities she represents.

He doesn't get the chance to follow her though, so in a way he lets go of her.

“Listen.” She put a hand on his shoulder, and he trembled at the sudden touch. She’s warm. “Something comes.” Brienne lifted her sword to point off to his left. “There.”
He peered into the gloom until he saw it too. Something was moving through the darkness, he could not quite make it out . . .
“A man on a horse. No, two. Two riders, side by side.”

Brienne makes him aware of a change of the situation, and he reacts strongly to her touch.

What do touch dreams mean?

* may suggest you are connecting with different aspects of yourself that were previously out of reach

* may suggest you are connecting with others

* may suggest you are getting in touch with or expressing your true feelings

* may suggest you are trying to ""feel out"" a situation to determine your next step

Warmth 
To feel warmth in your dream signifies contentment and satisfaction in your current state. You are happy with where you are. Alternatively, feeling warmth is analogous to hope and unconditional love.

So Brienne helps him connect with aspects of himself, and connects with him at the same time, he recognises feelings of hope and unconditional love.

“Down here, beneath the Rock?” It made no sense. Yet there came two riders on pale horses, men and mounts both armored. The destriers emerged from the blackness at a slow walk. They make no sound, Jaime realized. No splashing, no clink of mail nor clop of hoof. He remembered Eddard Stark, riding the length of Aerys’s throne room wrapped in silence. Only his eyes had spoken; a lord’s eyes, cold and grey and full of judgment.

Now here it starts being a bit difficult, so I will explain this with knowledge I have from the books.Jaime's surprise at riders beneath the Rock seems to indicate a Trojan Horse, and apparently a Trojan Horse concerning Tywin Rock. The fact that they don't make any sounds means they go unnoticed. I think this is foreshadowing for Tywin's death, for wich both his sons were responsible. the pale horses could be a 'pale mare' hint, indicating tywin was suffering from that when he died, but destriers are usually stallions, so this is unlikely.

Silence 
To dream that you are silent indicates an inability to express yourself. You may feel inhibited in voicing your opinion and how you really feel.�Alternatively, the dream refers to a situation in your waking life that has left you speechless.

To dream that someone is silent means that you are unsure about this person's intentions. Perhaps you are still trying to understand them. There may be a sense of uneasiness.

Judgment 
To dream that you are being judged indicates that you are being put through some test. You are seeking acceptance in order to move forward.

Basically Jaime doesn't understand Ned, and wants to be accepted by him.

“Is it you, Stark?” Jaime called. “Come ahead. I never feared you living, I do not fear you dead.”
Brienne touched his arm. “There are more.”
He saw them too. They were armored all in snow, it seemed to him, and ribbons of mist swirled back from their shoulders. The visors of their helms were closed, but Jaime Lannister did not need to look upon their faces to know them.
Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne.

What do snow dreams mean?

* A dream about Snow may represent emotions which you have repressed or “put on ice”.

What do mist dreams mean?

* May symbolize not feeling able to see things clearly.

* May represent confusion over some waking life relationship, situation, idea, or life direction.

* May represent a transitional period.

* May symbolize a "missed" opportunity.

* Misty-eyed. (Emotional.)

* Lost in the mists of time. (Forgotten.)

Now Jaime is confronted with Aerys's Kingsguard, and Rhaegar. They're wearing armor (are surrounded by) repressed emotions, and confusion. Since they're in this place of Jaime's subconscious that Jaime doesn't know, they can also be seen as lost in the mists of time (to jaime).

“You don’t frighten me,” he called, turning as they split to either side of him. He did not know which way to face. “I will fight you one by one or all together. But who is there for the wench to duel? She gets cross when you leave her out.”
I swore an oath to keep him safe,” she said to Rhaegar’s shade. “I swore a holy oath.”
We all swore oaths,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, so sadly.

So Jaime doesn't know which of his subconscious demons he needs to face first, but he seems to understand that they're not Brienne's demons, so she can't fight them. Brienne tells them she swore an oath, which - if we look back - means she's an honest and trustworthy person. Arthur Dayne answers that they all were.

The shades dismounted from their ghostly horses. When they drew their longswords, it made not a sound. “He was going to burn the city,” Jaime said. “To leave Robert only ashes.”
He was your king,” said Darry.

What do fire dreams mean?

* May symbolize a negative part of you or your life is being destroyed.

* May represent creative passion.

* May symbolize digestion.

* May symbolize feelings of anger.

* May symbolize a part of you or your life is being cleansed or purified.

* May suggest sexual arousal and passion.

* May represent transformation.

What do ashes dreams mean?

* May represent dwelling on the past and/or something lost.

* May symbolize an opportunity for renewal or rebirth.

* May symbolize regret.

* May symbolize transformation.

So basically Jaime explains that a transformation was going to happen. To which Darry answers: "He was your king".

And now it comes.....

What do king dreams mean?

* May symbolize a father or authority figure.

* May represent the wise, knowledgeable leader within yourself.

* May represent a game of strategy.

* May symbolize the power to command.

* May symbolize Elvis, or anyone else you idolize as "The King."

HOLY SHIT! JAIME KILLED ELVIS!!!!

Just kidding. So it's pointed out to Jaime that he killed his king, which doesn't just refer to Aerys but also to Tywin, and the wise, knowledgeable leader within Jaime himself! OOF!

Isn't that some heavy foreshadowing of Tywin's murder, for which Jaime definitely feels responsible.

You swore to keep him safe,” said Whent.
And the children, them as well,” said Prince Lewyn.
Prince Rhaegar burned with a cold light, now white, now red, now dark. “I left my wife and children in your hands.”
“I never thought he’d hurt them.” Jaime’s sword was burning less brightly now. “I was with the king . . .”
“Killing the king,” said Ser Arthur.
Cutting his throat,” said Prince Lewyn.

Now Jaime is reminded that he was supposed to be a trustworthy person too.

What do children dreams mean?

A dream about a child may suggest that there is a new aspect of yourself that is beginning to emerge; may represent an aspect of yourself that needs to mature and grow up; or may symbolize a part of you that needs to be nurtured, loved and accepted.

Children in a dream may represent innocence or a naïve aspect of yourself; may suggest that you have repressed desires and unfulfilled hopes that you are trying to satisfy.

Dreaming of children may occur at times in life when you may not be acting very grown-up. They may represent childish or childlike beliefs or behaviors. They may symbolize dependency on others or a fear of being unable to take care of yourself.

The Death of a Child dream meaning

A dream about the death of a child may be an indication that you are maturing – an immature aspect of yourself has died or is no longer needed; or you may have relinquished a childish belief.

The children he was sworn to protect are mentioned, and this all seems to indicate that they're basically telling Jaime to grow up.

Rhaegar burns with a cold light, we've learned earlier that light symbolises insight and greater understanding, and also guidance. The light Rhaegar sheds is white red, and dark (which is an odd color for light).

What do white dreams mean?

* May represent cleanliness.

* May represent a rite of passage.

* May symbolize the protagonist.

* May represent innocence and purity.

* May represent authority and wisdom (elders).

What do red dreams mean?

* May symbolize vitality.

* May symbolize masculine energy.

* May symbolize leadership or bossy behavior.

* May represent overspending.

* May symbolize feeling anger or rage.

* May symbolize sexual excitement.

Dark, as we already know, represents the unknown, things hidden. White and red light seem to indicate leadership, wisdom, protagonist, and anger. I think the dark and white light might be RLJ hints.

Jaime's own light burns less brightly, which indicates he's losing insight in his subconscious, but also that he is "dying" symbolically, which indicates he's coming closer to his spiritual rebirth.

Jaime is again reminded of killing the king/his father/his own wisdom. 

What do killing dreams mean?

To dream of killing someone or that you are being murdered may suggest that your unconscious is trying to kill off an unpleasant or unneeded aspect of yourself.

Dreams about murder may be releasing repressed rage or anger towards someone or something, possibly yourself. You may want to put an end to your relationship with the person being murdered.

Think about who it is that you are trying to kill. Ask yourself if you feel any rage or anger towards him/her in your waking life. If not, they may be representing an aspect of yourself that you want to get rid of. What character trait comes to mind when you think of this person? Does this person remind you of someone else?

If we look at this killing through the eyes of getting rid of a certain aspect of himself and/or a relationship keeping in mind that this is about killing the king, who represents Tywin, then it becomes clear that Jaime needs to let go of his father's power and influence over him, and the aspects in himself that represent Tywin. However, he might not be ready for this, since his sword keeps burning lower.

“The king you had sworn to die for,” said the White Bull.
The fires that ran along the blade were guttering out, and Jaime remembered what Cersei had said. No. Terror closed a hand about his throat. Then his sword went dark, and only Brienne’s burned, as the ghosts came rushing in.
“No,” he said, “no, no, no. Nooooooooo!”

So basically he loses the ability of shining his light on his subconscious here, but at the same time he dies, to be reborn as new-Jaime. In this moment he's overwhelmed by ghosts.

What do ghosts dreams mean?

* May represent an issue from your past that is still unresolved.

* May represent a past hurt still to be healed.

* May suggest paranormal activity.

* May suggest supernatural communication.

* May represent regrets.

* May represent someone that is deceased.

* May represent a relationship that has ended.

Basically he's overwhelmed by emotions and regrets, but from now on he will also be able to deal with them

This is the end of the dream, but the chapter goes on a bit more, in quite an interesting way, so since this is a ridiculously long post anyway, I'll do the rest too.

Heart pounding, he jerked awake, and found himself in starry darkness amidst a grove of trees. He could taste bile in his mouth, and he was shivering with sweat, hot and cold at once. When he looked down for his sword hand, his wrist ended in leather and linen, wrapped snug around an ugly stump. He felt sudden tears well up in his eyes. I felt it, I felt the strength in my fingers, and the rough leather of the sword’s grip. My hand . . .

Even though he had a terrifying dream the first thing he thinks about is his lost hand, grieving for it. Basically in his dream he had found his strength, but in real life he doesn't quite know how to use it without hands.

“A dream . . . only a dream.” Jaime stared at the camp around him, lost for a moment. “I was in the dark, but I had my hand back.” He looked at the stump and felt sick all over again. There’s no place like that beneath the Rock, he thought. His stomach was sour and empty, and his head was pounding where he’d pillowed it against the stump.

He was in his subconscious, but he had his strength there, then he goes on to deny that such a place exists in his mind.

“No. I’ve dreamt enough this night.” He wondered how long it was till dawn. Somehow he knew that if he closed his eyes, he would be back in that dark wet place again.
“Milk of the poppy, then? And something for your fever? You are still weak, my lord. You need to sleep. To rest.”
That is the last thing I mean to do. The moonlight glimmered pale upon the stump where Jaime had rested his head. The moss covered it so thickly he had not noticed before, but now he saw that the wood was white. It made him think of Winterfell, and Ned Stark’s heart tree. It was not him, he thought. It was never him. But the stump was dead and so was Stark and so were all the others, Prince Rhaegar and Ser Arthur and the children. And Aerys. Aerys is most dead of all. 

He decides he absolutely doesn't want to go back in his subconscious again, and then he has the weird thought that it wasn't Ned, or himself... whether if this was in his dream I don't know, but it's kinda weird.He pushes all the memories back in their 'death cage'.

Jaime ran his fingers through his hair. “Walton,” he said, “saddle the horses. I want to go back.”
“Back?” Steelshanks regarded him dubiously.
He thinks I’ve gone mad. And perhaps I have. “I left something at Harrenhal.”

Although he doesn't want to go back to the ghosts in his memories, but he does want to go back to Harrenhal, which Ironically is a castle of ghosts...

I hope that this post isn't too long. It's much harder than I thought to do this, and it was quite a challenge. I hope it makes sense lol. 

Archived