Jorah exiled from Meereen, returns to Westeros

Oakhearts head

In A Storm of Swords, there is this quote from Daenerys Targaryen following Jorah Mormont being ousted for spying on her.

The gods do nothing without a purpose, they say. You did not die in battle, so it must be they still have use for you. But I don't. I will not have you near me. You are banished, ser. Go back to your masters in Kings Landing and collect your pardon, if you can. Or to Astapor. No doubt the butcher king needs knights.

Now I'll admit I completely forgot that although Jorah was pardoned twice in the show (by Robert and later Tywin), Jorah was never actually officially pardoned in the books. It is kind of an interesting hypothetical, though.

What if Jorah, instead of getting caught up in the trouble he did in Dance, decided to heed Danny's advice and immediately head home for Westeros. If Jorah did decide to head home and collect his pardon...

1. Would Jorah immediately be restored as Lord of Bear Island? I doubt Maege or Alysane would be happy to see him.

2. Would Jorah's return to the North have any major consequences to what would essentially be a post-Red Wedding Westeros. Would he get tied up in the 'North Remembers' plot?

3. Would Jorah consider joining the Nights Watch?

For this hypothetical, assume Jorah is in fact pardoned and not given the Aenys Blackfire treatment upon returning.

Night´s Watch seems the most likely. As you said, he was never pardoned and everybody knows it. He has no legal claim to bear island and would be seen as a usurper. Whoever comes out on top in the north would have the duty to deal with it. Not even his own people might accept him back like that, considering Maege is rather popular and perfectly capable of ruling. 

If Jorah simply joins the NW out of free will everbody would propably just let it slide and not bother to chase him down.

I have no idea if Jorah would care about a Stark restoration, somehow I think he wouldn´t. And what could he do anyway? He´s been gone for a long time and a known criminal, why would anyone care about his opinion?

I could see him playing a role in the war for the dawn, not in the northern political struggle.

If he went back and stayed in the South, he could probably just pass himself as some hedge knight, I doubt many people remember or care about Jorah Mormont. 

The honorable thing would be to go right to Castle Black. There's no way he could just go be Lord of Bear Island, they might let him stay though. 

But yeah, It doesn't make any sense for Jorah to work to put a Stark into power. Only reason I could see him getting involved is to try to plant himself as a mole for Dany in the White Wolf's camp in another sad attempt at redemption, but I could see that ending badly to. 

Archived