Age of Heroes=First Men Pantheon?

Lord Giggles

An idea I had recently was that perhaps all the heroes from the Age of Heroes are what the First Men’s original gods became after they began to worship the Old Gods. So a pantheon of the First Men pre-old gods might look something like this:

Garth Greenhand, god of fertility, Spring and life. Possibly the King of the gods/Allfather given that he seems to be the oldest of the heroes from the Age of Heroes and a father to the others.

Lann the Clever, god of cunning. Perhaps a trickster like Loki in Norse mythology.

Bran the Builder, god of craftsmen. Perhaps a god of all craftsmen, whether they’re builders or smiths.

Durran Godsgrief. Not sure about precisely where Durran Godsgrief would fit in such a pantheon. Perhaps a god of warriors or some such function?

The Grey King. Perhaps a god of the Sea.

I had this idea due to the mention of older tales of Garth Greenhand being a being who required blood sacrifice and it then occurred to me that it would make sense for the early houses to trace their descent from gods seeing as pretty much every royal family in antiquity did and then, once they started worshipping the Old Gods, preserve the figures they claim descent from as heroes. 

I kind of agree in a way.  I believe that many of the legendary figures we hear of are in fact other species/half breeds among species.  Take Durran Godsgrief, I personally believe he was a human, and that the woman he married Eleini was a greenwoman.  That would explain where the antlers from house Durrandon come from, and why Durrandon features are capable of remaining dominant every single time for thousands of year.

Archived