J.J. Abrams Is Bringing the Space Series ‘Glare’ to HBO

AncalagonTheBlack

On the heels of the strong start for Westworld, which recently was renewed for a second season, HBO and J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot are teaming for another sci-fi drama project.

Titled Glare, the project, now in development at the premium cable network, is written by Spanish feature writer Javier Gullón. It is a sci-fi odyssey exploring the colonization of another planet.

Gullón executive produces with Bad Robot’s Abrams and Ben Stephenson. Warner Bros. TV, where Bad Robot is based, is the studio; it also is behind HBO/Bad Robot’s Westworld.

Glare stems from a blind deal Bad Robot signed with Gullón a year ago. He had been identified by Bad Robot’s head of TV Stephenson, who developed the project based on an original idea by the writer.

Gullón, who has multiple produced features overseas, drew Hollywood attention recently with his dramatic thriller spec script 478, which was made with Arnold Schwarzenegger starring and E/F/O, Protozoa and Peter Dealbert producing for release next year. Gullón recently adapted the novel The Dark Side, a sci-fi noir set on the moon, for 20th Century Fox with Steve Zaillian producing, which is currently out to directors.

This marks the first foray into TV for Gullón, who also wrote the Denis Villeneuve-directed Enemy, which starred Jake Gyllenhaal.

http://collider.com/jj-abrams-hbo-series-glare/

Looks like HBO is looking for it's next big hit after GoT ends.I'm surprised that since they already have a SF hit with Westworld they are going for another SF series instead of fantasy.

Sounds interesting. I'm probably not the only one who chuckled when reading the title of the project and instantly thinking "lens flare". The only issue I have is the similarity between the concept of the show and that of Nat Geo's MARS. However, more sci fi options is always a good thing. Now if we could just have more westerns.

Archived