Casting the Movie Continued

Lyanna Stark-Targaryen

I never claimed that Roseanne Barr was the ultimate choice for this role. I simply said that I thought she would be great. There may be others that are better, but I think she's well suited for it. Moreover, you're willing to judge an actress on who she was over a decade ago. Further, you haven't seen her perform since then, and are unwilling to grant her any credit. The accent is gone, the classlessness is gone... she is a completely different person. Unless you've seen her perform recently, I can understand how you wouldn't believe it. I didn't either.

Okay, I have just downloaded and watched the episode of My Name is Earl and … it was Roseanne! It was Roseanne in a comedy grey wig, yes, but it was still Roseanne. She was loud, annoying and a bitch. When Milly turned round in the convent and told Earl she was nice now, it was funny because it was Roseanne. That was not showing what a versatile actress she is, that was playing on the persona which is entrenched in audiences’ views of her.

The classlessness was still very much evident (come on, the character ran a trailer park!) – no way would I ever believe she was part of the aristocracy. As for the voice …it also cemented my belief that she wouldn’t be able to do an appropriate accent in ASoIaF. In fact, if it weren’t for the way she drawled ‘lie’ I wouldn’t have even realised she was trying to do an accent. It was still that grating, nasal twang.

Further, unless you're planning on running credits at the *beginning* of the show, no one will be expecting Roseanne as Genna. There will be no preconceived notions to fight. Should you, or Lyanna Stark-Targaryen, or anyone else with only memories of Roseanne back in the day, watch the scene with Roseanne in it, you wouldn't know it was her. You'd see the credits afterward, and your mind would be blown.

The preconceived notions would happen the second she appeared on screen, regardless of whether or not people knew she was going to be there! Aside from gaining a few wrinkles, she really hasn’t changed. Even with the blonde hair she is now sporting, she still just looks like Roseanne.

And you argued in your original post on this matter that she was still enough of a firecracker to be Genna. But casting her in any kind of ‘feisty’ role would be lethal because it leaves even less room to tone down that patented Roseanne personality.

Genna is a formidable woman because she is smart and confident, not because she can talk louder than everyone else. Roseanne Barr is completely wrong for this role.

And so, I suggest Smits for the role because I think he has the right look. He looks honorable. He looks formidable. He looks like a legendary knight known for chivalry and honor and capability. He also looks different from other Westerosi.

I’m not sure you can say he has ‘the right look’ when it’s been said many, many times on this thread that he is far from the physical description of Arthur! And I still think you’re being rather hyperbolic about Smits. He looks like a nice, strong guy, yes. But formidable? Legendary? Known for honour? I really don’t get that from looking at him! He looks more avuncular than chivalrous, IMO.

So, for Westeros, having Arthur Dayne be non-white would be *different*, if you have issue with the word 'exotic'. It has nothing to do with hispanic people being 'exotic' in some 19th century Kipling-esque view, and everything to do with casting someone who looks the part and is visually distinctive in the character's environment.

The Daynes can look ‘different’ without changing their ethnicity. Honestly, their skin being a different colour wouldn’t make them stand out half as much as a close-up of their violet eyes! I’d sure as hell remember a guy with violet eyes a lot more than a Hispanic guy. It also wouldn’t mean killing the ‘Ashara is Jon’s mother’ theory/rumour before it’s even begun.

Anyway, I like Jim Caveizel for Arthur. If Eric Bana weren’t already cast as Brandon, he could make a good Arthur as well.

Tysha -

On Roseanne Barr as Genna... I'm glad you watched the episode, and I'm sorry you still disagree. We'll continue to disagree on this point then, but like I said previously, I'm not saying that Barr is the only option I'd ever consider... so there's no reason to get quite that forceful over it.

As far as Dayne goes... I understand those points, but continue to think that Smits would be a good choice. Once again, I never said he was the only option I'd consider, and support Caviezel for the role. I just get defensive when people reflexively disagree without considering any of the arguments put forward.

Lyanna -

I might suggest a minor rearrangement of the site... if it's too much trouble, don't worry about it. But it would seem that the arrangement should be based on layout at the start of AGoT...

I'd move Robert, Cersei, Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen to King's Landing. Barristan Selmy, Jaime Lannister, and the rest of the Kingsguard to King's Landing as well, under the Kingsguard banner.

Dany and her allies (Irri, Jhiqui, Jorah, and the rest) should go to the Eastern Continent.

I'd also move Brynden Tully to the Vale, Aron Santagar and Thoros of Myr to King's Landing, and Sallador Saan to the Stormlands.

If we're doing it based on where character originated from, though, you're pretty spot on... though in that case I'd move Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen to the Westerlands. :)

Was there consensus on Missi Pyle as Brienne? That's the only other one I can think of...

I think she's okay. Certainly better than Peta Wilson who is just far too pretty. Though like I said, I do think she looks a bit too forceful and confident to be Brienne. And there's just something ... weird about her face! I've seen her play quite a few surreal, grotesque roles (the alien in Galaxy Quest, Fran in Dodgeball) but I'm not sure that's quite right for Brienne.

Miriam Shor is another possibility. She actually played a man in Hedwig and the Angry Inch! And she has the pretty blue eyes. No idea how tall she is, though.

I like Jim Caviezel as Arthur Dayne, if he played Jesus I'm sure he can play the exalted Sword of the Morning. :)

And Jensen and Tricia as the twins are perfect, but Daniel Day-Lewis as Ned is just wrong.

The man is nearly 50, Ned is supposed to be 35. Ned is supposed to be a couple of years older than Jamie, but Lewis is 21 years older than Ackles.

I think that Ioan Gruffudd would make the perfect Ned instead of Littlefinger. Ioan has a long face, dark eyes and hair and he is 33. Also isn't Ioan a bit tall and sexy to be Petyr anyway?

why do we need to keep casting too young people for Ned? Honestly, he's supposed to look older than he is.

Is he?!

I think Ioan would make a pretty good Ned, actually. DDL is too old, especially now that we've got more age appropriate actors to play Robert and Jaime. And he's so choosy about the roles he does that even putting him in a dream cast is stretching the wishful thinking! However, I'm not sure if Gruffudd and Julianne Moore would look right as husband and wife. Moore looks young for her age but pairing her with a 33 year old might highlight the fact that she's older. So unless anyone can think of another Cat as well...

As I don't have AGoT with me, here's what the Tower of the Hand says about Eddard:

He has dark hair and a long face with grey eyes and a closely trimmed beard shot with white.

Compare that with this photo of Daniel Day Lewis, taken last year.

I'd say that DDL isn't too old for the role, based on this. As to DDL being finicky about casting, that's why this is a dream casting, no?

If you wanted to consider others for Eddard, I'm all ears, but the role seems to demand a mature actor. Eddard doesn't have any real signs of youth... However, there is a legitimate question about age here... Could DDL, clean shaven and made-up, look young enough to play Eddard in flashbacks (ToJ and the Harrenhall Tourney, along with any others necessitated by a screenplay adaptation)?

As far as an alternate Catelyn... my suggestion of Jodie Foster fell on angry ears. :(

Is he?!

I think Ioan would make a pretty good Ned, actually. DDL is too old, especially now that we've got more age appropriate actors to play Robert and Jaime. And he's so choosy about the roles he does that even putting him in a dream cast is stretching the wishful thinking! However, I'm not sure if Gruffudd and Julianne Moore would look right as husband and wife. Moore looks young for her age but pairing her with a 33 year old might highlight the fact that she's older. So unless anyone can think of another Cat as well...

Actually I think Lena Heady would be great as Cat.

Actually I think Lena Heady would be great as Cat.

But would she look good as a red head?

Really, I think Julianne Moore is such a great pick for Cat that whoever plays Ned has to match up with her and Ioan Gruffudd would look too young next to her.

ETA: Maester Y, that looks like a white beard shot with dark to me!

Hmmm. There must be a noble-looking, dark-haired, long-faced actor in his late 30s/early 40s who could play Ned!

I must be the only one who noticed this, and I think it's funny and . . . and . . . too perfect!

"There must be a noble-looking, dark-haired, long-faced actor in his late 30s/early 40s who could play Ned!"

Alongside a huge discussion about who? Jim Caviezel!!!

I think Jim Caviezel could play a *fantastic* Ned. He really has the look, he's an incredible actor, and his quiet, brooding demeanor is Ned all over. I also don't think it would look wrong to see him and Julianne Moore together. (In case anyone's wondering, he's about 38)

Any thoughts?

Miriam Shor is another possibility. She actually played a man in Hedwig and the Angry Inch! And she has the pretty blue eyes. No idea how tall she is, though.

I like the idea of Miriam Shor. I tried to find out how tall she is, but couldn't find any information. Looking at her in comparison to other people in her pictures, I'd put her at about 5'8" or 9". I'd like to find a Brienne who's over six foot, considering how large she is supposed to be, but I simply don't think we'll find an actress who looks like that! I would support Shor, for now.

Also, RE: Zac Efron. I don't much like him for Edric Storm, I think Edric is only supposed to be about 11-12, but I like his looks as a possible Robb Stark. Thoughts there?

I wanted to make a new suggestion for Alleras/Sallera. She is described as having dark skin (her mother was a Summer Islander) and so I think we ought to be looking for an African-American actress. That said, I would like to put forward Zoe Saldana as a possibility. She might be too pretty, but I think with the right makeup, etc., the strength of her facial features could be used against her.

Could someone remind me how old Edric Storm is suppose to be?

Cause Zac Efron struck me as a potential Edric but he might look too old depending on how old Edric is suppose to be.

Not sure exactly, but he's young teenager.

That kid looks cheesy! He has a kind of Jesse McCartney vibe to him. I think we should stick with Skandar Keynes.

I think Jim Caviezel could play a *fantastic* Ned. He really has the look, he's an incredible actor, and his quiet, brooding demeanor is Ned all over. I also don't think it would look wrong to see him and Julianne Moore together. (In case anyone's wondering, he's about 38)

Yeah, I could see that. Though it does open up the Arthur Dayne argument again...

*runs and hides*

Lyanna -

I might suggest a minor rearrangement of the site... if it's too much trouble, don't worry about it. But it would seem that the arrangement should be based on layout at the start of AGoT...

I'd move Robert, Cersei, Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen to King's Landing. Barristan Selmy, Jaime Lannister, and the rest of the Kingsguard to King's Landing as well, under the Kingsguard banner.

Dany and her allies (Irri, Jhiqui, Jorah, and the rest) should go to the Eastern Continent.

I'd also move Brynden Tully to the Vale, Aron Santagar and Thoros of Myr to King's Landing, and Sallador Saan to the Stormlands.

If we're doing it based on where character originated from, though, you're pretty spot on... though in that case I'd move Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen to the Westerlands. :)

I'm trying to get everyone under their houses. If they don't have houses or are affiliated elsewhere, I put them there. I just feel weird putting Jaime as a Kingsguard. :D And since Dany is a Targaryen first and foremost I put her there. It's hard to place people since they move around so much. Joff and them are with Robert simply because they're still known as Baratheon. :P

At this point, I'd rather leave Eddard and Arthur as they are, and try to figure out a more pressing problem: the Dothraki.

Right now, we've got an indian, two east-asians, a latino, and an italian. The Dothraki are supposed to be a homogeneous society, so they should look it. Since they seem to be modeled after the Mongolians, the ideal would be to cast people with that look. Any suggestions?

Lyanna - Fair enough. :D It's just hard finding people sometimes...

Also, it seems that Missy Pyle is a consensus choice for Brienne 'till we can come up with a better alternative.

Archived