U.S. Politics: The Marionette Presidency Edition

3 hours ago, King Ned Stark said:

A few questions, though.  Is it your opinion that the ideologue of Islam is not largely against liberal values?  

Yes, I believe that the more fundamentalist strains of Islam are opposed to the more liberal values that I hold. Then again, I believe the same is also true of Christianity. See the Christian right's opposition to a woman's right to choose, access to contraceptive devices, LGBTQ rights, women's rights in general, and their general willingness to enshrine theocratic laws throughout the land that uphold one religion's views and beliefs over all others.

Do you think Christianity and Islam are viewed equally amongst liberals?     

I do think liberals tend to give Islam a bit more leeway than Christianity sometimes, but that's mainly because Muslims make up such a tiny minority of the population here in the United States. That said, anti-liberal Christians make up a large and powerful bloc in the US political sphere, one that is constantly catered to by large sects of both parties (one party more than the other it must be said). It's no surprise that the left and liberals, in general, see the anti-liberal Christians as a much more pressing and immediate threat than Islam is.

Question for you: which type of violence do you think you are more likely to be the victim of here in the United States; that which is perpetrated by Muslims or by Christians? Or, more simply, which kind is more common here in the United States, violence perpetrated by Christian ideology or Islamic ideology? 

Archived