[Spoilers from books and show] Three treasons you will know

TeamPangloss

Firstly, apologies for originally posting this in the wrong area.

I have never really liked the 'mad queen' theory of Daenerys but the turn the show seems to be taking has made me re-evaluate this belief. This post will assume the same will occur in the books; given the centrality of Dany as a character and how important her turning against Jon right at the end would be for the story, I believe this would be something D&D have gotten from GRRM.

Moving on, having thought about Dany's character arc with the idea that she may become a villain by the end, I offer a new interpretation of the 'three treasons you will know' prophecy from the House of the Undying. We know that prophecy is deliberately vague and often misinterpreted by the characters (something GRRM goes out of his way to caution about through characters like Marwyn), and I think Dany has misinterpreted this particular one entirely. The other two prophecies (mounts to ride, fires to light) are ones that she is clearly prophesied to perform herself due to the wording. The treason prophecy is actually ambiguous (e.g. 'three treasons you will know' rather than 'three treasons you will suffer'). Dany assumes it means three people will commit treason against her, but I suggest that she will be the one to commit three treasons. For example, Viserys' death (even though he deserved it), could be considered a treason as he was her king. This would fit either the treason for love (Drogo) or gold (given the way Viserys dies).

In the books, Dany believes she has experienced two treasons already (Jorah & Mirri). I predict that if she is destined to descend into madness, then in growing paranoia she may suspect Jon of preparing to commit the final treason (for love - his family?) against her. Consider how she has responded to learning about his true identity in the show, and look particularly at her reaction at the feast in S8E4 where she sees the Stark loyalists celebrating together while she sits alone at her table, clearly feeling like an outsider commanding dubious loyalty. I predict that as she becomes more paranoid, she will convince herself that Jon is going to turn against her and that she will therefore move against him to try to thwart the prophecy. The irony being, in moving against him - her rightful king - she will be committing her final treason against him. This would be a neat case of a character completely misunderstanding a prophecy and inadvertently bringing it to pass precisely because they are trying to avoid it. Similar devices have been predicted for Cersei's prophecies from Maggy the Frog - in moving against Margaery, she may inadvertently be setting up her own downfall.

Which treasons count as love/gold/blood is harder to predict and may only be possible with context once (if) the final books come out.

Please feel free to share your thoughts. I know this isn't thoroughly evidenced, but it seemed quite neat to me.

I ended up with:

For Gold - Jorah (the one that already happened) or Syrio

For Blood - Barriston Selmy (because he thinks fAegon is real thing and less psycho than Dany - like Varys did in show), Tyrion (when he finishes with mid-life crisis and is consumed with remorse and guilt towards his siblings).

For Love - Jon (when he kills Dany even though he loves her to save the realm) though Tyrion might qualify here better than for Blood.

Archived