Daenerys' House of the Undying visions were shown in 2012 and the three Holy Shit moments were revealed in 2013...

AlaerysTargaryen

I wish D&D could give us an interview about the third holy shit moment, which is without question that Jon kills Dany after her descent into madness or tyranny.

>>And the third shocking moment?

“… is from the very end…,” Benioff teased.

They probably won't, not until George concludes his own story at least. But these past weeks I've been wondering, if they didn't know Dany would turn evil, what was on their minds when they wrote the scene which are very different in the books?

In the show version she sees the Throne covered in snow or ash, doesn't get to touch it, and instead goes beyond the Wall. Many people are saying that her vision of Khal Drogo and her baby is a hint of the afterlife after she die s , but I remember interviews that it was a perfect opportunity to bring back Jason Momoa, whose interpretation of Drogo had captivated everyone.

In that time I interpreted the scene as that she Will never get to sit on the Iron throne and her "Destiny" lies in defeating the others along with Jon Snow who is represented with his association with the Wall ( in the books she sees the blue flower in a chunk of ice= Jon). She forsakes the game of thrones as the war against the dead is the most important menace for all life.

In the show we kinda got to see this, until the second Long Night became a Single Night and everyone reverted to playing politics.

But coming back to my musings, D&D couldn't have known this in 2012, or 2011 when they probably wrote and filmed season 2. Daenerys in the House of the Undying feels like a woman who Will sacrifice her life dream for serving a greater purpose. She is written as the hero with heroic actions. ASOS is probably the showrunners favorite book, or at least they must have read it a lot, scene adapting the Red Wedding was what got them interested in doing the series. And in ASOS is where Dany's has the prohetic dream about fighting the Others:

>>*That night she dreamt that she was Rhaegar, riding to the Trident. But she was mounted on a dragon, not a horse. When she saw the Usurper's rebel host across the river they were armored all in ice, but she bathed them in dragonfire and they melted away like dew and turned the Trident into a torrent. Some small part of her knew that she was dreaming, but another part exulted. **This is how it was meant to be**. The other was a nightmare, and I have only now awakened*.

This is probably what inspired to film their version of the visions, in an ambigous non spoilery way.

By that time ADWD has already come out where Daenerys Targaryen tendencies are heightened and is where she decides to forget about the fragile peace that is never stable in Meeren, and remembers that her is the path of Fire and Blood. Dragons plant no tres and all that. This is the part where many book fans have pointed out , that Dany Will begin her unraveling towards her endpoint in the series, which is being the Mad Queen.

So the showrunnes either didn't care for Daenerys character progression in the last published book or didn't quite read the book and interpreted the text. In 2013 , with a season 3 already written, George tells them she Will become evil and Will burn KL. They already had written several scenes about her violence prone state of my mind, but never developed the "madness" aspect , which book Dany was very well preocupied about it (having the taint). They leave this aspect about her 'till the very end which is why the story felt rushed and devoid of natural progression.

So my theory is , that like many many fans , they never saw it coming, and after George revelation, delayed it as much as they could , which is why season 8 Danerys feels incosistent with her own persona in the previous seasons. The snippets shown to explain her madness to how she reacted to Viserys death are non important, there is no way they knew in season 1 Dany Will become the final villain. It was a bad attempt to justify the very very late turn of events. It should have been an organic progression and not a twist or their beloved subverted expectations.

Archived