Hadestown

Liffguard

I'm not really a musical theatre person. I quite liked the stage version of the Lion King when I saw it a few years ago, but beyond that I've never really spared a second thought for musicals.

And yet I am currently absolutely obsessed with Hadestown. It's a retelling of the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, with a sort of Americana setting designed to evoke the depression and the dustbowl, and a really cool jazzy-folk sound. Originally it was an experimental show in New York, then a concept album by Anais Mitchell, then a small show in Edmonton and London, and now a Broadway production. Unfortunately I've yet to see it live (crossing my fingers that it comes back to the UK).

A few of my favourite numbers:

Way Down Hadestown

Why We Build The Wall (written in 2006 believe it or not)

Wait For Me (reprise)

I don't really have any broader point with this thread. Just thought I'd plug something I really like that falls way outside of my usual tastes.

3 hours ago, Liffguard said:

I'm not really a musical theatre person. I quite liked the stage version of the Lion King when I saw it a few years ago, but beyond that I've never really spared a second thought for musicals.

And yet I am currently absolutely obsessed with Hadestown. It's a retelling of the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, with a sort of Americana setting designed to evoke the depression and the dustbowl, and a really cool jazzy-folk sound. Originally it was an experimental show in New York, then a concept album by Anais Mitchell, then a small show in Edmonton and London, and now a Broadway production. Unfortunately I've yet to see it live (crossing my fingers that it comes back to the UK).

A few of my favourite numbers:

Way Down Hadestown

Why We Build The Wall (written in 2006 believe it or not)

Wait For Me (reprise)

I don't really have any broader point with this thread. Just thought I'd plug something I really like that falls way outside of my usual tastes.

How curious/coincidental. I was listening to my spotify playlist and it moved onto the “radio” once it was done (for anyone unfamiliar, this is basically songs related to your playlist) and ‘Way Down Hadestown’ came on and i fell in love. Then lo and behold, a thread is started on the forum :P 

hope it does come back to the uk, i love the sound track.

as an aside, i love that spotify feature because its introduced me to loads of great musicals/soundtracks.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The song is really weird to listen to in 2019 as you say with Trump's rhetoric

Yup, it's eerily appropriate given it was written over a decade ago. I actually first heard it on Philosophy Tube's dissection of Steve Bannon. (Here's a link to just the cover of the song itself).

I love the circularity of the lyrics, and how the ideology that leads to the wall-building becomes its own justification. A downward spiral that's hard to break once it starts.

Archived