How the Other's invasion will factor into the story

I know many people have many different opinions on how the Other's invasion will go in the story.  want to give my opinion on a few of them, and then give my own. I want to start a discussion about everybody's theories for it.

1. The whole story is about all of Westeros teaming up to fight the Others, and when everything is settled the epilogue will be the big battle against them, and we'll never get a conclusion to it. I see this theory a lot more than I would have expected. My opinion on this theory is it won't happen. First of all, the Winds of Winter will definitely have the Others beginning their invasion in Westeros. There's no way the invasion will be held off until the end of ADOS, for one big battle. Second of all, there's no way all of the leaders in Westeros will come to peace and fight side by side. That's not the world these people live in. Most of the lords will deny the Other's even exist until it's too late. Also, for people like Doran, and the Martells, they will never fight alongside the Lannisters. For people like Euron and Littlefinger, they don't care if this happens. And finally, we have been waiting for the Others invasion for 5 books already, having just one battle in the epilogue would be extremely anti climactic. We deserve to see the smug lords of Westeros get demolished for all of the bad things they've done. This is them paying for their sins in a very ruthless way.

2. The Others will make it all the way to Dorne, and even Essos. I don't hate this theory I just think it's unnecessary. The Long Night will be happening all over the World not just wherever the Others are fighting. People in Dorne and Essos will be be taking a lot of damage just from the snows alone. Also, I think watching the Others go from Kingdom to Kingdom, killing town after town would get redundant after a while. Watching a battle at the wall, then a battle at Winterfell, then the Vale, then Riverrun, then Casterly Rock, the trident, Kingslanding, the Reach, Stormlands, Dorne, then Essos. A book full of battles would feel boring to me. 

3. The Others will be defeated at Winterfell, and Dany will arrive when it's all over. I don't think this is likely. It would be too short of an invasion. I think by the end of TWOW the Others will already be on their way to Winterfell. Plus, Dany needs to be in the final battle with her dragons. It's ice vs fire. 

My theory- I think the Others will take down the wall by the end of TWOW. ADOS will have a battle at Winterfell early on, and it will fall. The final battle will be at the Trident 3/4 of the way through the book, where Daenerys will team up with Jon, and something will go down at the god's eye to end the long night. This gives plenty of time for destruction to go on all over the world. George has said he doesn't like the final battle against the big magical army before, so I don't think it will be the final confrontation of the book. He admires the scouring of the shire, and says he wants to emulate a similar bittersweet ending at the end of his book as well. I posted a theory about this called ASOIAF's Scouring of the Shire is you want to check out my theory for that.

Archived