Ashara Dayne

Fun Guy from Yuggoth

2 hours ago, By Odin's Beard said:

So I started looking for other "Manderly" words

There is also mandatum, mandate.

Mandate was/is a type of contract where the mandator asks you to do something. If you start carrying the task out, you become obliged to finish it. You are not paid for the task, but it became customary in Rome for the mandator to give a sum of money, the honorarium, when the contract was finished.

20 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

There is also mandatum, mandate.

Mandate was/is a type of contract where the mandator asks you to do something. If you start carrying the task out, you become obliged to finish it. You are not paid for the task, but it became customary in Rome for the mandator to give a sum of money, the honorarium, when the contract was finished.

I almost added that. 

I forgot to check Greek,

mandalos  means "latch, bolt, bar" and mantalono  means "to lock up" --which fits the dungeon / daingean theme in White Harbor.  [also in Star Wars the Mandalorians are bounty hunters that catch people and lock them up] and

And recall that in Valinor the souls of the dead are imprisoned in Mandos, and maendo means "sepulchre" in Welsh and now mandalos  means "imprisoned"

and in English meander means "river" and "maze" and "circuitous journey"

While browsing the dictionaries I have found several words related to the Mines of Moria from Lord of the Rings.

morior means "death" in Latin

morio means "monster, deformed person" and "errant fool" in Latin

moreea means "stupidity, foolishness" in Greek 

meera means "fate, destiny" in Greek

me'arah  means "cave" in Hebrew

me'erah  means "curse" in Hebrew

muradh means "entombment, destroying, walling in" in Gaelic

moraide  means "a great hill" in Gaelic

moraidhe  means "great, grand, stately, noble, proud"  and Moria was the greatest dwarven achievement.

mur  means "castle, wall, fortification, stronghold" and "abundance" and the usage notes mention "a great mass of flame" and the Dwarves' stronghold, they delved too deep to get jewels and mithril and awoke a great mass of flame

marw means "death" in Welsh

marwor means "burning cinders, embers" in Welsh --and the Balrog is a demon made of flame

[Duryn means "steel" and "nose, beak" in Welsh, and Dwarves have big noses] 

mawr means "great, large" in Welsh

mwr means "to fall" and mer  means "to drop of, to part"  --Gandalf falls from the Bridge of Khazad-dum

• 4 months later...

Found some more clues that Ashara Dayne is the Fisherman's Daughter and sailed the boat for Ned, and then stayed at the Wolf's Den.

Hwyliau / hwylio / hwyliwr [~Wylla] means "sailor, one who sails, one would sets a course"  in Welsh

luamaire  [~Lemore] means "pilot, navigator, steersman" in Gaelic

aesc  means "boat" in Anglo-Saxon

iaschaire  [~Ashara] means "fisherman" in Gaelic and seerah dayeeg  means "fishing boat" in Hebrew  [Dagon means "fish" in Hebrew and dagan  means "dawn" in Old Norse]

And I remembered what George said about Ashara's whereabouts during Robert's Rebellion:

As to your speculations about Catelyn and Ashara Dayne... sigh... needless to say, All Will Be Revealed in Good Time. I will give you this much, however; Ashara Dayne was not nailed to the floor in Starfall, as some of the fans who write me seem to assume. They have horses in Dorne too, you know. And boats (though not many of their own). As a matter of fact (a tiny tidbit from SOS), she was one of Princess Elia's lady companions in King's Landing, in the first few years after Elia married Rhaegar.

The rest I will save for the books.

aseerah / asar / asir means "prisoner, inmate, captive" and "arrested" (in Arabic as well as Hebrew)

dan / deen  means "sentenced, condemned" and "judgement, law"

And when asked where Ashara was during the war, he spontaneously bring up the idea of her being imprisoned and nailed to the floor (but not at Starfall, at the Wolf's Den).  And then brings up the possibility of her traveling on a boat.  I think he was dropping clues.

On 3/22/2023 at 12:09 AM, Fun Guy from Yuggoth said:

Hwyliau / hwylio / hwyliwr [~Wylla] means "sailor, one who sails, one would sets a course"  in Welsh

luamaire  [~Lemore] means "pilot, navigator, steersman" in Gaelic

Was just browsing the Pughe's Welsh Dictionary and noticed that

yshwylio  [Ash + Wylla] means to "set a course" and Ysilla is helping pilot the Shy Maid.  And is directly below

Yshiliad [Ysilla] which means "to spawn/ frogspawn" and "to issue"

and

grifft / Egrifft means "frogspawn" 

And on the last page of Pughe's

yswilio  means "shy"  and Ysilla and Lemore/Ashara are on the Shy Maid, and is right above

yswyr which means "dawn" and yshwyth  "aches"

And in Old English ysle / ysela means "ashes"  and is right below y's  "ice"

I have previously posted about "the Jon Con" --to pass of Griff as a Targ--to con  someone.   Just like with John the Fiddler in the Dunk and Egg stories, one of the usages of "fiddle" is "to swindle" and he was a false Targ.   I just realized that "grift" means "to swindle" also.  So Griff being a Targ is another swindle.

and Grift means "graft" and to graft something is to transplant one part of a tree to another.  And their grift is to graft Griff on to the Targ family tree.

So I looked up "griff" words in the Oxford English Dictionary

One meaning of Griffon is "a young inexperienced man, a greenhorn"

griff / grift means "chasm" and aigean  means "abyss" in Gaelic

griffon is synonymous with "dragon" in the sense of "a watchful guardian"

griff means "claw" 

griff means "a mulatto with 3/4 black blood"  [because Griff is a Blackfyre?]

griffon means "lord"

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/5/2022 at 2:13 AM, AlaskanSandman said:

I believe this is due to Brienne having to kill Daenerys to bring her plot full circle with both her ancestor Duncan who likely killed Egg to save Rhaegar, and Jamie, who killed Aerys to save K.L. Its pretty hard coded in her plot imo.

Wow.. I find the idea very interesting!

On 11/5/2022 at 2:13 AM, AlaskanSandman said:

Ned thinks of failed promises only after Varys informs him its too late to stop the assassination attempt on Dany. It doesn't seem like Jon is ever in any threat through out Ned's life, especially after Robert is dead, the only person who maybe would have killed Jon. If he is really the child of Lyanna and Rhaegar, which, I don't think Rhaegar is his father at all, but rather the father of Dany

Rhaegar and Ashara sound like very suitable parents to Daenerys. We have constant Rhaegar reminders in Dany's chapters and Dayne/star symbolism is very heavy in the last Dany's chapters of GoT. I like all the linguistic symbolism in the thread that ties Ned to Ashara and Jon, but I cannot keep R + A = D out of my mind. 

Archived