Cressen the Maegi

Corvo the Crow

Cressen, for one, is a powerful Maegi or something like that. Able to teleport. Want Proof?

"Mercy is never a mistake, Lord Renly," Ned replied. "On the Trident, Ser Barristan here cut down a dozen good men, Robert's friends and mine. When they brought him to us, grievously wounded and near death, Roose Bolton urged us to cut his throat, but your brother said, 'I will not kill a man for loyalty, nor for fighting well,' and sent his own maester to tend Ser Barristan's wounds." He gave the king a long cool look. "Would that man were here today."

His own Maester. Who is Robert's own Maester? Cressen was Maester of Storm's End and Robert was it's lord.

But wait... Wasn't Cressen at Storm's End?

Maester Cressen remembered the day Davos had been knighted, after the siege of Storm's End. Lord Stannis and a small garrison had held the castle for close to a year, against the great host of the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne. Even the sea was closed against them, watched day and night by Redwyne galleys flying the burgundy banners of the Arbor. Within Storm's End, the horses had long since been eaten, the dogs and cats were gone, and the garrison was down to roots and rats. Then came a night when the moon was new and black clouds hid the stars. Cloaked in that darkness, Davos the smuggler had dared the Redwyne cordon and the rocks of Shipbreaker Bay alike. His little ship had a black hull, black sails, black oars, and a hold crammed with onions and salt fish. Little enough, yet it had kept the garrison alive long enough for Eddard Stark to reach Storm's End and break the siege.

Good catch!  Just as a mental exercise, I can think of a couple of explanations.

Cressen "remembered the day" when Davos arrived at Storm's End.  But perhaps he was not there at that time, and heard the story later.

More likely, I think, is that Robert's "own maester" at the Trident was not Cressen; it was someone who had accompanied him when he left the Vale to start his rebellion, or who joined him afterwards.  I imagine it was common for a leader to take a maester on campaign, to tend to the wounded and manage ravens for communication.

4 hours ago, Aebram said:

Good catch!  Just as a mental exercise, I can think of a couple of explanations.

Cressen "remembered the day" when Davos arrived at Storm's End.  But perhaps he was not there at that time, and heard the story later.

More likely, I think, is that Robert's "own maester" at the Trident was not Cressen; it was someone who had accompanied him when he left the Vale to start his rebellion, or who joined him afterwards.  I imagine it was common for a leader to take a maester on campaign, to tend to the wounded and manage ravens for communication.

Maesters are beholden to castles. It's not unusual for two maesters to be in a castle, and Maesters switching castles, we see these a few times, first is with Pylos sent to aid Cressen and there was another example if I recall, the second is Cressen going to Dragonstone and Luwin, who was with Catelyn and performed her birth, going to Winterfell, whose Maester was Walys Flowers(possibly dead at this point, perhaps died accompanying Rickard?)

Archived