comics

dornish prince

The Boys vol. 1 & 2 - Color me disappointed. The weakest Ennis stuff I've read in years. Hitman was better than this. Hell, the Kev miniseries were better than this. This series is not particularly funny (and to test if I'd simply lost my taste for Ennis, I flipped through Thor: Vikings. Still hilarious), though it has some moments. Likewise, the plotting and characterization and so on aren't remotely impressive, though again it has its moments--the, ah, memorable kiss at the beginning of the first issue, for example. It's not bad, but ffs, this is Ennis & Robertson; they can do and have done much better than "not bad". Thank God I only borrowed the trades; I'd be annoyed if I'd spent my money on this stuff.

Gotham Central, HC vol 1 - Now this is more like it. Rucka and Brubaker both are near--though not at--the top of their game here. You like crime? You like Gotham? You like Rucka or Brubaker? Then you need to get this. Like, now.

If internet comics are allowed into this thread then I hope someone has mentioned Achewood (www.achewood.com)

One of the best comics on the web, has won several awards and I believe the first collection is being printed by Dark Horse.

Most people feel that to really give it justice, you gotta read it from start to finish, since it all gets so much deeper when you get to know the characters (well deep might be a strong word when speaking about a comic that revolves around stoned cats, perpetually five year old otters and lying robots, but the again it might not be)

Ok, I know it's weird and completely geeky of me (I'm a tech writer, after all), but I really really enjoyed the hell out of Scott McCloud's Chrome comic for Google. Even if I did keep thinking "Page breaks. No trails. This is so wrong for a Scott McCloud web comic...." :)

And, hey, can't wait for the return of the Beanworld.

At a signing before Comic-Con, Larry Marder was telling Neil Gaiman the details, and Gaiman mentioned that Beanworld's time may have finally come--nobody remembers it any more and it gets to start fresh with an entirely new generation. And I piped up, "I remember Beanworld!" and Neil turned to me and said, "but that's because you're terribly, terribly old." :D

Archived