General Impressions

Dornish

[quote name='Ammena Piper' post='1601319' date='Nov 26 2008, 17.36']In my dream casting fantasy, this is how I'd do it.

Obviously these are my opinions, I just wanted to outline my primary list of criteria and reasoning in matching actors to roles.
1) The look. I will be taken out of the storyworld if the look jars me too much. I pick performers who have the capabilities (via makeup, hair, costume) to fit how I imagine the character to be. Also, there needs to be a cohesiveness to Families.
2) The ability. Looks alone get me there, but ability continues the story.
3) The Overall Cohesiveness. Overall completion of an ensemble project. This is a whole world that needs to be created, not just a series of single star showcase episodes.

The Lannisters, Lions
Hot, not beautiful, not cute, but smoking hot. Even Tyrion and Tywin should have a raw sexuality to them. More moneyed than well-bred. Nouveau-riche. Recall the Reyne's of Castemere anyone? Greedy of attention, power, wealth, resources, spirituality, pity, commerce. Consumers. Eaters. Carnivores.
hair: blonde or light brown
eyes: blue, green, shimmering-chestnut
I need to believe that Jaime and Cersei are twins.
I need to believe that Tyrion comes from the same blood as Jaime and Cersei.
I need to believe that Tywin can kick your ass in a bar brawl and bankrupt you at the same time.

The Starks, Wolves
Old, regal, noble, innocent, pure of heart. Not naive, not victim, not self-absorbed. Stoic. Resourceful. Silent. Extreme 'Bushido' followers. Contemplative. Steadfast. Predictable. 'Shikata Ga Nai' 'It cannot be helped'. Very Japanese Zen.
hair: browns, blacks, hirsute
eyes: browns, blacks, light-blues
I need to believe that Ned fathered Robb, Jon, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon.
I need to believe that Robb, Sansa, Bran, and Rickon belong in Winterfell even though they don't look like Winterfell kids.
I need to believe that Jon definitely looks like he belongs in Winterfell... but something's off.
I need to believe that Arya completely belongs in Winterfell in looks... and completely in Riverrun in personality...

The Tullys, Trout
Beautiful, not cute, not hot. Brave, stubborn, spit of willfulness in their eyes. Blind. Bold. Brave. Slippery. Hard to catch. Hard to predict. Ever shifting. Ever adapting.
hair: auburn, red, browns, cinnamon, black
eyes: blue, green, brown, hazel (earthy)
I need to believe that Catelyn gave birth to Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon.
I need to believe that Catelyn is related to the rest of the Tully men back in Riverland.
I need to believe that Catelyn is the 'Marcia' to Lysa's 'Jan'

The Targaryens, Dragons
Exotic. Outsiders. Fictional. Aliens who came from the sky and took over the world. Stagnant. Dying breed. Ancient. Outclassed by the mongrel natives. Foreign. Freaks. Madness borne from loss of roots. Loss of self. Loss of identity. Without dragons, who are we but half our Selves?
hair: blonde, white, silver, molten gold, starry silver
eyes: violet, lavender, periwinkle, amethyst
hair post-Myriah Martell Targaryen: blonde, white, silver, brown, chestnut, mahogany, cinnamon, caramel, peppered, streaked
eyes post-Myriah Martell Targaryen: brown, black, violet, lavender, plum, amethyst, spotted, dual
I need to believe that Dany, Viserys, Rhaegar, and Aemon don't belong to the land of the Seven Kingdoms.
I need to believe that Dany, Viserys, Rhaegar, and Aemon have an other-continent quality to them.
I need to believe that Dany, Viserys, Rhaegar, and Aemon are of a dying race.
I need to believe that Dany, Viserys, Rhaegar, and Aemon are not pure Valeryian and have Dornish blood pumping through their veins.

The Baratheons, Stag
Tall. Tall. Big. Thick. Protectors. Masculine (even the women). Macho and Sexist (even the women). Led by the genitals. Hunger for domination. Hunger for superiority. Hunger to be on top. Hunger to protect. Dangerous Prey.
hair: black, dark brown, deep mahogany, chestnut, very hirsute or bald.
eyes: black, browns
I need to believe that Robert Baratheon is the top stag in his family.
I need to believe that Robert Baratheon will mount anything he can catch. And that he's good at catching things.
(side note: please don't do the Hollywoood glam thing with Robert. He should be smelly, hairy, big, thick and nasty. No shaved chests, no sixpack abs please. Give me a Robert who farts and burps and scratches his ass... and -still- has the charisma and confidence to charm a goat off its legs by genuinely -caring-. A real human with charm that matches his status. Heighten his heart and you heighten the payoff.)
I need to believe that Renly Baratheon wants to be top stag.
I need to believe that Stannis Baratheon thinks he's already the true top stag.

The Tyrells, Roses
Pretty, not beautiful, not hot. Sprouting prettiness to crinkle in old age. Vain in looks, vain in psyche, vain in soul. Fruitful and shortlived. Fickle. Transitory and Temporary. Thorny and Thistly. Major concern is fruitfulness and procreation. Survival through procreation. Survival through strangulation.
hair: blonde, browns, reds, blacks
eyes: blues, greens, browns
I need to believe that the Tyrells are always the unwanted guests at dinner, but you need to smile and invite them in. Because everyone expects them.
I need to believe that the Tyrells are always searching. Always thirsty. Always desperate. The smell of rotting roses is just as strong as ripe oranges.

The Arryns, Falcons
Watchers. Observers. Witnesses. Dreamers. Victims. Fearful. Chicken Little's. Naive.
hair: browns, light blondes
eyes: blues, greys
I need to believe the Arryns are cancerous.
I need to believe the Arryns are not in the process of dying, but are already dead.
I need to believe the Arryns live in constant vertigo. Literally and Psychologically.
SPOILER: Book 4
I need to believe that a Mockingbird can make a home in a Falcon's nest.

The Greyjoys, Kraken
Single Visioned. Present. The present is the only thing that matters. What is here now is what is. Yesterday is nothing. Tomorrow is nothing. The tide only tells the present. You are my mate/friend/victim/ally/child for present. The Tide will tell the next present.
hair: blacks, dark browns
eyes: greys, dark blues, dark greens, black, browns
I need to believe the Greyjoys are old.
I need to believe the Greyjoys are myopic.
I need to believe the Greyjoys are Predators limited by their convictions.

The Martells, Sun and Spear
Duality. Sun. Dark. Sun. Spear. NoSpear. Spear. Victims. Victors. Victims. Hot. Cold. Hot.
hair: blacks, browns
eyes: blacks, browns, hazel, bright green, skyblue.
I need to believe the Martells are -relatively- untouched by the 'Games'.
I need to believe the Martells are deeply touched by death. Death and more Death.
I need to believe the Martells will seek revenge for generations to come.
I need to believe the Martells are still seeking revenge for Daeron I's Conquest.
I need to believe the Martells are not satisfied.
I need to believe the Martells will stay the course and fade until they rise again at the opportune time.[/quote]

I need to believe someone as ASOIAF savvy as Ammena will lead this project! Ms. Piper: you're a poet. The ought to hire you. That is all.

thanks for the kind words.

I have all the confidence that they will cast this with a keen vision and taste to keep us fans satisfied. Just wanted to toss out my impression of how I perceive the 'Ice and Fire' world. I hope it might help/inspire/horrify the creative forces to truly consider some creative choices/alternatives.

Archived