Cricket X

Jeor

Draw? I guess with Sehwag going early the Indians were going to drop anchor.

Bah humbug, just as I was typing this Gambhir got out. Now 3 down with 28 overs to go. Might still lose it from here.

India had no problems in the end. Interesting about Sehwag...he seemed to be rather subdued as well, 11 runs off 40 balls is very uncharacteristic. One can only assume that he was sent out there with orders to bat time as well, which to me seems rather odd. I don't think Sehwag would be too good at stonewalling so Dhoni might as well have sent him out there to bat normally and give South Africa a good scare, spread fields, buy them more time etc.

Anyway, it was a great series for India. Although South Africa played well, I think India are the team that can come away from this more satisfied, as a 1-1 scorecard away from home is just the sort of result they wouldn't have got a decade ago.

And the cricket rolls on with NZ and Pakistan - it's going to be an interesting series. I think both teams are fairly closely matched; Pakistan have individual talent but little discipline or consistency, while NZ have batting depth (Southee today!), better fielding and a professional approach but struggle to find a matchwinner.

Also, Michael Clarke has given up the Twenty20 captaincy and Cam White has been appointed Aussie captain. In an interesting move, Tim Paine has been appointed vice-captain as well. Paine was thrown into the leadership stakes when Steve Waugh commented that he and Brad Haddin could be wicket-keeper captains, so it will be interesting if this is seen as a first step to something more.

White was always due for the Twenty20 captaincy. He's probably our best Twenty20 power-hitter and he's captained Victoria for a while now. I think he's probably next in line to get the ODI captaincy as well, unless Haddin steps forward to take it.

Archived