A Question for the Christians

Balefont

Out of curiosity, are there similar prohibitions against violence in other religions? I can think of the Wiccan rede, any others?

I can't articulate why this bothers me but it does. It's like living in perpetual unworthiness.

That's the heart of original sin. No one is worthy. It's a big part of most Christian denominations' dogma.

That's the heart of original sin. No one is worthy. It's a big part of most Christian denominations' dogma.

Well I say Fuck. That. Shit.

It's bad enough my favorite beer claims I'm not worthy, I don't need to make up more ways to feel unworthy.

Re: Average Guy

I believe that the major strains of buddhism all embrace pacifism. In fact, most of them are vegetarians because they consider killing animals to be unjustifiable. And just to make Tormund happy, I'd say that this is why I cannot be a buddhist. :P

Re: Average Guy

I believe that the major strains of buddhism all embrace pacifism. In fact, most of them are vegetarians because they consider killing animals to be unjustifiable. And just to make Tormund happy, I'd say that this is why I cannot be a buddhist. :P

Well, they do to about the same extent christianity did. Those warrior monks don't just came out of nowhere :P

Jainism would be another one, btw.

Well, they do to about the same extent christianity did. Those warrior monks don't just came out of nowhere :P

Silly person, those kung-fu moves are strictly for health and fitness purposes. I swear!!

It's bad enough my favorite beer claims I'm not worthy, I don't need to make up more ways to feel unworthy.

FWIW, a couple denominations don't go for it. Though they've never explained to my own satisfaction why the Messianic sacrifice was necessary in that case. And even a lot of the ones that do subscribe to original sin choose to focus more on the "good news" that it doesn't matter if you're worthy rather than harping on unworthiness. But I'm an atheist most of the time nowadays, and I'm starting to feel like I'm preaching, so I'll leave it at that.

I can't believe I skipped over Buddhism. In my head I was thinking, "Judaism? Wiped out an entire nation, so probably not. Islam? Mohammed led armies, probably not. Hinduism had a warrior caste. Wicca kind of fits... uh, Zoroastrianism?" before heading off into classical religions and random tiny religions.

@ Tormund: Do you really think that all beliefs someone chooses to call religion are automatically worthy of respect?

Pretty much, yeah. Even if they are demonstrably false, most folks probably have good (to them) reasons for believing in them. I have a family member who is into neo-paganism and is convinced as of late that he is descended from vikings (he isn't) and currently believes in Odin and Thor. Clearly this is complete nonsense (especially since it was just last year that he worshipped the Earth and used astrology instead of casting runes), but it's important to him, and I get that.

Pretty much, yeah. Even if they are demonstrably false, most folks probably have good (to them) reasons for believing in them. I have a family member who is into neo-paganism and is convinced as of late that he is descended from vikings (he isn't) and currently believes in Odin and Thor. Clearly this is complete nonsense (especially since it was just last year that he worshipped the Earth and used astrology instead of casting runes), but it's important to him, and I get that.

Eh, I'd say your friend has decent odds of being descended from vikings just from random genetics. An infinitely small drop, probably, but then again, he's probably related to Genghis Khan as well.

Great, it's important to him, he's still wrong. His wrongness is not in any way changed by the fervency of his belief. Just as your faith does not change the fact that I find most Christian dogmas quite offensive. Worthy ideas stand up to scrutiny on their own merit and don't need protection.

Great, it's important to him, he's still wrong. His wrongness is not in any way changed by the fervency of his belief. Just as your faith does not change the fact that I find most Christian dogmas quite offensive. Worthy ideas stand up to scrutiny on their own merit and don't need protection.

What does being wrong have to do with respect?

Tormund, so my dismissal of your faith for my own reasons is an act of disrespect to your faith?

(Not to speak for Terra, but if I were him, I'd not beat around the bush in dismissing a faith that didn't accept me for who I was.)

Archived