How did you get into ASOIF

Whitebeard

I bought GoT around 2005 and read it. And like I usually do, I just never picked up the second book. I mean, it was an awesome book, but the only series I had ever finished was LotR. Ive read many a fantasy book, but never a complete seies. I dont know why. The closest i had gotten to finishing stories was (Howard's) Conan stuff. Anyway, I got interested in the HBO series and reread GoT, watched the show and picked up CoK last week and finished it Wednesday this week. I plan to start SoS over the weekend.

I'm a teacher and in the summer break of 2004, I found myself without any books to read and with an awful lot of time on my hands, so I walked down to Borders one summer eve and went over to the fantasy section- I'd been a massive fantasy fan as a teenager, but then I did an English degree and kind of neglected my fantasy reading for a while- and picked up 'A Game of Thrones'. I remembered that someone I'd known at university, an Engineering student, had recommended it to me in about 1999, and I'd put it on a mental "to read list" then forgotten. I read the prologue and was utterly sold. I read 'A Game of Thrones' in about two days and went back to Borders to pick up 'A Clash of Kings' and 'A Storm of Swords'. I finished them in late night greedy binge reads and then re-read the lot and pored obsessively over favourite passages when the re-read was done! When 'A Feast For Crows' came out in 2005, I bought it straight away...and now the wait for 'A Dance With Dragons' is nearly over- HUZZAH!

It was in summer of 2003,and just another boooooring day at work(bookstore)I was puting out new editions on the shelves and there it was(we were a bit late in translating it at that point,we got beter)I was like,not another series,I m alredy hooked to WOT and number of others,but I started reading it,and by the time Jaime pushed Bran of the window I was hooked like never before.Scince than I hooked hundreds of unsuspected buyers,and all of my friends and fammily.My mother even learn english in her 50-s so she didnt hawe to wait for translation.

Archived