[Book Spoilers] The Rhoynar

Spoony

Well considering the First Men are important to the Stark's cultural heritage and most of the 'main characters' are Stark's you can see why its important to explain that at some point. Also, the Andals are what most Westerosi are and people like Jorah are called 'the Andal' when they are across the narrow sea.

The words 'Rhoynar' and 'Rhoynish' are barely mentioned in the books and the ethnic heritage of some Dornishmen is hardly imperative to the story. The show hasn't got time to explain everything from the books and I'd rather it dropped the largely pointless things. I think saying that the reason Dornish people have darker skin is because they're from a warmer climate and that their culture is different because Dorne is more remote is perfectly acceptable. No need to include and explain 'Rhoynar'.

They can still describe the Rhoynar later as it is now. Removing that name from Robert's title is an insignificant change that has no bearing on anything. I guess they could have left it there, but the Rhoynar won't be explained until season 4 at the earliest (if it ever is), so perhaps the writers felt it better to just leave it out.

Well, if they ever end up explaining the Rhoynar, then there was no point to excluding the term from the king's title. Which is all I'm saying. I doubt many of the viewers have even taken notice of the "King of the Andals and the First Men" moniker, so leaving in "Rhoynar" would hardly confuse them any further.

Well considering the First Men are important to the Stark's cultural heritage and most of the 'main characters' are Stark's you can see why its important to explain that at some point. Also, the Andals are what most Westerosi are and people like Jorah are called 'the Andal' when they are across the narrow sea.

The words 'Rhoynar' and 'Rhoynish' are barely mentioned in the books and the ethnic heritage of some Dornishmen is hardly imperative to the story. The show hasn't got time to explain everything from the books and I'd rather it dropped the largely pointless things. I think saying that the reason Dornish people have darker skin is because they're from a warmer climate and that their culture is different because Dorne is more remote is perfectly acceptable. No need to include and explain 'Rhoynar'.

As you intimate in your post, Rhoynish ancestry doesn't just influence Dornish appearance, it also influences Dornish nationalism and Dornish law, both of which are mighty important to the plot. And if they wanted to explain Rhoynish ancestry, they could easily do it in an expository scene about Dornish law.

And why is it easier to explain Dornish appearance by mentioning the climate, and Dornish culture by mentioning geographic remoteness, when both appearance and culture could easily be explained by mentioning the Rhoynar? I'm not saying they have to delve into a detailed history of the migration of the Rhoynar to Dorne; they could simply mention that their ethnic group is different, and why that matters. That's all it takes. I suppose if they wanted to delve more deeply into it later they could, but such a decision could be deferred until later.

Archived