Erikson: The Gardens of the Moon Thread

LokiV

Finally got my arse into gear and finished GOTM.

The second half made up for the turgid first half. As I said before, if it wasn't for the many recommendations from the board for SE I would never have kept going. Poor writing is my major problem but also I found a lot of the book corny, as someone said a bit D&D. Then the pace picks up and the threads begin to tie together and it is possible to get drawn in more and gain a sense of 'place' about the book. The D&D sections feel more natural as you have a clue what is going on and can rationalise way more.

If I had given up after 400 pages, I was damn close to, I would be dismissing SE as a hack. I can never see him breaking into huge sales because of his style but there was definitely enough quality by the end for me to read DG with some hope and also a feeling of the world he is creating and what to expect. This is one book which I can see being coloured by the readers expectations.

This is one book which I can see being coloured by the readers expectations.

You may be right... I was almost determined to like GotM. I am about 2/3 through, and, surprise!, i did. I do tend to like books with complex plot and many characters, an aspect in which Malazan rivals ASOIAF. There are few "nice" characters(Crokus is the only one who comes to mind). When Anomander was introduced, one of the words used to describe him was "noble" (Baruk), but after the assassins' battle, I think he's one of the scariest players on the continent. I am about at the point where the plot lines begin converging and the pace picks up, and so far so good.

• 3 years later...

I like this book a lot. As soon as I get my hands on a copy of Deadhouse Gates I will be continuing on with the rest of the series.

One thing I found strange was how the prologue almost seemed like it had been written by a different person than the rest of the novel. I did like the pace of the novel. Very quick, and the switch from different POVs worked very well for me. I was never bored, and rarely skimmed through passages.

I found it to be very "cinematic." I'm not very eloquent, and can't really describe what I mean. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the characters were realised gradually, as the plot progressed, through their actions. Their thoughts were slowly revealed throughout the novel and I didn't feel bored by them at all.

Overall I'd say the book was a 4/5 for me.

Archived