Just started reading last night..

Robb_

I really loved the start to this book it captured me more than the opening to GoT (Will and the whitewalkers) and CoK (Maester Cressen). I read over 100 pages last night, addicted right from the off. Usually I can only manage 40ish in a sitting. I think the chapter where Jon meets Mance Rayder for the first time is possibly my favourite chapter from all 3 books so far, was really intense.

One question I've got though, why is SoS split into two seperate books?

I really loved the start to this book it captured me more than the opening to GoT (Will and the whitewalkers) and CoK (Maester Cressen). I read over 100 pages last night, addicted right from the off. Usually I can only manage 40ish in a sitting. I think the chapter where Jon meets Mance Rayder for the first time is possibly my favourite chapter from all 3 books so far, was really intense.

One question I've got though, why is SoS split into two seperate books?

You must be in the UK? SoS is one single huge book here in the U.S., so apparently it was the UK publishers' decision to split it into two books.

I have just finished Catelyn's chapter where Robb returns with Jeyne Westerling. I'm really liking the direction every POV characters storylines are going in. And amazingly, I'm beginning to like Jaime. Although that will change again if he kills Brienne (but it seems like he is growing a bit of respect for her). I really hope Robb starts treating Grey Wind the way he used to, but it's not gonna happen, is it :(

So far this has been my favourite out of the 3.

ASOS is my favourite and most hated of the novels so far. I am in so much turmoil! I have almost finished the second ASOS book and it is a really captivating read.

I believe ASOS was split into 2 books so as not to give us broken wrists and arthritis! :lol:

I just started reading yesterday and I too really liked the beginning with the Others. I think what's happening north of the wall is probably the most interesting, for me at least. I also loved the chapter where Jon met Mance for the first time.

On another note, I really feel bad Catelyn (I'm only around 130 pages in). I hope she is reunited with at least ONE of her children soon.

Spoilers for Jon Snow's second chapter:

Definitely the most interesting parts of the book so far. We've just been introduced to the giants, and what happened to Mormont and the gang after the white walkers.

I'm really liking Ygritte, one of my favourite characters at the moment. Mance Rayder is likable in a weird way, too.

Ok, brief recap/thoughts on what I've just read.

(spoilers from page 234 to 302.)

First I'll start off with the chapter I read last - Robb executing Rickard Karstark. Really good scene and Martin does an excellent job of making it visible while reading. I cannot wait to see this scene in the TV Show.

Arya's storyline is progressing nicely and I'm looking forward to seeing Beric Dondarrison again. I'm hoping he guides Arya back to Catelyn/Riverrun, but something tells me that is not going to happen. Arya is destined not to reach her mother.

If anyone would have asked me to name some of the unlikely pairings of characters, one of my first answers would have been Tyrion and Sansa. I was shocked about that marriage proposal. Again, I don't think it will actually happen, but it's certainly going to keep things interesting for a little while.

I'm really happy about Sam now being a POV character, and the chapter explaining what happened when the wights attacked was really intense - especially the end when the White Walker appeared to face himself, Small Paul and Grenn. I really did think that for the first time so far, one of the POV characters would die in their own chapter.

Over 300 pages in now and not one word on Theon. I'm really looking forward to his first chapter, if he has one.

Still standing by my earlier thoughts that this is the best book so far.

Spoilers for Sam's second chapter:

I'm so pissed off that Jeor Mormont was killed. Definitely the saddest death so far.

I'm thinking that maybe the "love betrayal" Dany is expecting could be Jorah, deciding to join the Nights Watch instead of helping her in her war or something?

I have just finished Part 1, Steel and Snow

Now that final chapter was intense! I couldn't slow my reading down to even concetrate properly. I thought the old guy was going to be Barristan Selmy, but I suppose it wasn't as he wouldn't have been killed without a name given - unless he is discovered by another character later in the books, but I doubt it.

Jon has definitely got the most interesting chapters these days, well since A Clash of Kings began really. Tyrion is a really close second. Going to start part 2 now, "Blood and Gold".

ASOS is my favourite and most hated of the novels so far. I am in so much turmoil! I have almost finished the second ASOS book and it is a really captivating read.

I believe ASOS was split into 2 books so as not to give us broken wrists and arthritis! :lol:

I'm reading the pocket version, better than the hardcover version, it's small and lightweight, but the first two portuguese versions are two big bricks.

Oh my god I've just read the chapter about the wedding at the Twins

I'm so gutted :( Robb was my favourite character and I really liked Catelyn. I knew something terrible was going to happen, because just before the wedding Robb named Jon to take over if he ever died. But I still had hope of them making it through the twins and fighting to take back the North. I'm so pissed off.. And that cunt Bolton better receive a horrible death. And Walder Frey aswell.

And about the chapter after it.. I'm really confused. For a start, I'm certain that Arya is not dead, and that the Hound has hit her with the opposite end of his axe to knock her down so he could rescue her, because why would he want to kill her? But curiosity got the better of me and I skipped ahead to see who had the upcoming chapters, and I don't see Arya having one anytime soon, so that's got me worried :\

no offense, but why is Robb everyone's favorite character? he's barely in the last 2 books.

Book 2 Tyrion was my favourite, because you're right Robb pretty much had no part. I think he has had a fair share of time in ASOS though, he plays a big part in near enough all of Catelyn's chapters.

I couldn't really pinpoint why he is my favourite, I think it's partly down to how Richard Madden portrays him in the show, though.

Read on my friend. And Jaime is great. He is not the typical Lannister, like Tywin and Cersei. Which helps explain why Tyrion loves Jaime so much (which I was lost on until I really KNEW Jaime).

And about the prologues: I have noticed that every POV character in GRRM's prologues die. So far, at least. Will, Cressen, and now Chett.

The book becomes crazy. I got high from when I read a chapter. You will know which one when you read it. This book really, in my mind, sets GRRM's writing on a level of its own. The first 2 books did that in a way, but reading this book REALLY shows you how he is like no other.

Book 2 Tyrion was my favourite, because you're right Robb pretty much had no part. I think he has had a fair share of time in ASOS though, he plays a big part in near enough all of Catelyn's chapters.

I couldn't really pinpoint why he is my favourite, I think it's partly down to how Richard Madden portrays him in the show, though.

I agree. Reading Robb through Catelyn made him seem like a boy who was playing the part of his father. In the show, it was more like "This is Robb Stark. Don't fuck with him."

Read on my friend. And Jaime is great. He is not the typical Lannister, like Tywin and Cersei. Which helps explain why Tyrion loves Jaime so much (which I was lost on until I really KNEW Jaime).

I HATED Jaime during Season 1, Book 1, and Book 2, but he has grown into one of my favourites so far in Book 3. The chapter were he went back to save Brienne from the bear has been one of my favourites from all 3 books.

It's kinda crap that he has lost his good hand now, I hope he does have himself a gold replacement forged like what was mentioned earlier in the book. It would have been interesting to see if he would have volunteered to fight for Tyrion as his champion vs Ser Gregor if he still had his good hand. And while I'm on that, I'm really liking the Red Viper. I've just finished the chapter were he offered to be Tyrion's champion.

The book becomes crazy. I got high from when I read a chapter. You will know which one when you read it. This book really, in my mind, sets GRRM's writing on a level of its own. The first 2 books did that in a way, but reading this book REALLY shows you how he is like no other.

I know where you're coming from, the first 2 books are amazing (and are probably equal to one another), but this one has blown them both out the water. I've not been able to put it down these last few days

Archived