Xaro Xhoan Daxos cast

NW Deserter

http://www.accesshollywood.com/news/theon-greyjoy-gets-a-sister-and-daenerys-gets-an-adviser-in-game-of-thrones-season-2_article_51531

Picture

I've been slightly worried about the casting of xaro, pyat pree, and quaithe for a whole...and really most of the denizens of slavers bay/qarth/etc are just so out there that it'll be difficult to cast them. Looks good to me so far, though.

• 3 weeks later...
I wonder if the will use white makeup on him, it would really make the Quarteen exotic and otherworldy...

That'd just make him look like an old-fashioned zombie.

I suspect this is just a case of wanting the Qartheen to look readily distinguishable from other cities peoples, so that the east does not just blend into a generic exotic mass.

I would not suggest any white paint on our handsome ebony Xaro. It smacks of the white face stereotype in Tarzan movies. Maybe another color would be better. BTW, please, please, please, do not infer that I was implying that you were being racist. You simply giving ideas. It is just that others may take these ideavs as racist. As for me, I just wanted to protect you from unwarranted attacks on you for making innocent remarks. Also, if I misread your post, again, I apologize. Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry.

Those ideas are in no way meant to be racist, but nowadays you have to be careful how to pronounce yourself without offending anyone. I didn't mean White paint, I meant using make up to make the skin tone seem pale, This is would create a very otherworldy look IMO and stay true to the novels.

I understood what you were communicating in your post. My sister-in-law is in charge of of the ID Channel of the Discovery Family. I gave her a quick description of our posts. She e-mailed me back and told me that the casting director gets orders from executive producers. There is a lot of pressure to get the casting "just right". She says it's all about money. Btw,I think we were thinking the same thing.

• 4 months later...

My guess is that the actor won't be wearing make up to make him look pale, or some other color. It is more likely that the filmmakers have decided to make the people of Qarth black rather than milky white.

Not a big deal to me, as I think the pale white appearance wouldn't translate well to film.

Archived