Complete Cyvasse Rules

Zuberi

Hmm, I might actually buy that if it does turn out to work well... The middle part of the trebs spins around it looks like?

Yep, I spent several hours on that model alone. The throwing arm is designed to spin when the pin is pulled (3 interlocked parts). I won't know for absolute sure that it works until I have it in my hands. Obviously a real trebuchet would have the counterweight made out of a heavier material, but as it is the counterweight has >4x the volume of the arm, so it may even be able to throw small seeds/ball bearings etc, we'll see. In any case I expect it will be somewhat fragile, so most of the time it should be kept locked in place.

Hey, i made a small game from the rules you have made (ports included), did not test everything in it yet and its playable in hot-seat mode only at the moment. I share the link here where you can download it from, please tell me any bugs you find in it and i will try to correct them.

https://www.copy.com/s/NdhgzuHZfLQS

if you are missing the dll file try this guide: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcr110d

Hey, i made a small game from the rules you have made (ports included), did not test everything in it yet and its playable in hot-seat mode only at the moment. I share the link here where you can download it from, please tell me any bugs you find in it and i will try to correct them.

https://www.copy.com/s/NdhgzuHZfLQS

Hi Kherthyomehr, wow I can see from the files you've gone to a lot of work!

Unfortunately I'm a mac user here so I'll have to wait until I can try it.

I have no idea yet how will i implement it to be playable online and from browser, but once i fixed the errors people encounter it i will start to try and make it playable somehow, might i will have to start it all over, but atleast i will know how to do it. You gotta be patient to try it from mac. :)

Edit: yes, i definitely have to start over the whole program to make it playable in a web browser, but first i would like to fix anything not working you guys can find in it. Im also looking for a nice background for it so im open for suggestions. :)

I haven't gone through all 15 pages but I was wondering if anyone has tried a cyvasse game using Settlers of Catan hex tiles for the board? In SoC you use a different configuration each time, and while you wouldn't have to do that with cyvasse it could up the difficulty level.

Not remotely interested in digital/mobile/computer games but I'd love a decent board game version.

i agree with your point of view, a boardgame is much better than any computer game, but in my environment i cant find anyone to play it with, thats why i have created this game and want to make it playable via internet :) im sure im not alone with this problem
about the tiles with catan, if i remember well they are hex-shaped too, you could build up a cyvasse table from it i think, you would still have that 6x6x6 board, just the tiles would have another shape :)

edit:

http://www.ppatt.com/justput/hexxagon2.jpg
with catan tiles the table would look like this you just have to rotate it 90°

i agree with your point of view, a boardgame is much better than any computer game, but in my environment i cant find anyone to play it with, thats why i have created this game and want to make it playable via internet :) im sure im not alone with this problem

about the tiles with catan, if i remember well they are hex-shaped too, you could build up a cyvasse table from it i think, you would still have that 6x6x6 board, just the tiles would have another shape :)

edit:

http://www.ppatt.com/justput/hexxagon2.jpg

with catan tiles the table would look like this you just have to rotate it 90°

Thanks for the image. I might need a couple of sets of Catan tiles to make it work.

I think the digital game is great, just not for me is all. I know what you mean about no one to play with. I think I could get my family to play cyvasse, but I have no one to talk to about the books. :)

Yeah, i know that feel too, im the only one around here who have read it, dont know about anyone who's interested in it, just the movies, but they dont read any books... actually in my environment i dont know anyone who would read any book :)

I've just found this thread.

Congrats to the OP, I had the same idea to create the rules for this game. I'll try your rules.

As an aside I have a feeling that Aegon's invasion will look like a game of Cyvasse and he will recall Tyrion's advice. (elephant, dragons coming, bowmen, knight...)

The only thing I dislike about this is the trebuchet over mountains rule. Just doesn't make sense to me. Besides that, this is great.

You're right. It doesn't work and I've taken it out of more recent versions of the rules :)

I haven't gone through all 15 pages but I was wondering if anyone has tried a cyvasse game using Settlers of Catan hex tiles for the board? In SoC you use a different configuration each time, and while you wouldn't have to do that with cyvasse it could up the difficulty level.

Not remotely interested in digital/mobile/computer games but I'd love a decent board game version.

Haven't had the chance to try SoC yet unfortunately. There's time yet though.

I looked into having a proper set made by my rules and it was going to cost close to $5k to make it as a one off (it is cheaper when you make many, obviously). My 3d printed set is going to be a good compromise I think - I've ordered it and have been emailed to say it's on its way from the USA to me in Australia, and I'll be posting pics when it arrives.

I've just found this thread.

Congrats to the OP, I had the same idea to create the rules for this game. I'll try your rules.

As an aside I have a feeling that Aegon's invasion will look like a game of Cyvasse and he will recall Tyrion's advice. (elephant, dragons coming, bowmen, knight...)

Cheers mate ;) just looked back and I see it's coming up to two years since my first post on this thread. I also suspect your aside is correct. Bring on the Winds of Winter! :)

good work you guys are doing here-

i'm unclear as it seems like there had been some back and forth on this, but are your terrain types treated as pieces or simply as tile types? I considered/am considering implementing a version of the game myself, but i sort of like the idea of a randomized terrain layout, similar to Catan, exceptions being the fortress tiles, where a player can place those in adjacent tiles of their choosing on their side of the board. I think this could be fun for working the terrain into your deployment of both units and your fortress tiles.... for example nesting your fortress between some hills to provide crossbowmen or catapaults for example a sort of range bonus, or deploying your fortress up against a mountain such that accessibility is difficult, or a bottleneck is created.

i rather like the idea of the various strengths of units, and flanking as well, but seems it would be somewhat difficult to implement in a board game - i really like it alot though for a computer game, where bonuses or penalties could be calculated automatically... it's always a terrible feeling when players realize they have advanced their game state incorrectly due to an illegal move or miscalculation.

good work you guys are doing here-

i'm unclear as it seems like there had been some back and forth on this, but are your terrain types treated as pieces or simply as tile types? I considered/am considering implementing a version of the game myself, but i sort of like the idea of a randomized terrain layout, similar to Catan, exceptions being the fortress tiles, where a player can place those in adjacent tiles of their choosing on their side of the board. I think this could be fun for working the terrain into your deployment of both units and your fortress tiles.... for example nesting your fortress between some hills to provide crossbowmen or catapaults for example a sort of range bonus, or deploying your fortress up against a mountain such that accessibility is difficult, or a bottleneck is created.

i rather like the idea of the various strengths of units, and flanking as well, but seems it would be somewhat difficult to implement in a board game - i really like it alot though for a computer game, where bonuses or penalties could be calculated automatically... it's always a terrible feeling when players realize they have advanced their game state incorrectly due to an illegal move or miscalculation.

Thanks Zytz. I understand it's a bit unclear, but the way I justified mountains being pieces is because no other piece may occupy the same space as them at the end of a move, so they might as well have an actual "figurine". All other terrain types are tiles that you can physically put a piece on top of.

My aim has always been to keep it simple enough that it can be a board game, and actually trying to imagine it as a physical board game has helped me cut out a lot of extra complication. If you look back through the thread you'll see that many of the more complicated ideas (e.g. rock paper scissors variant of flanking) have been whittled away over time. Likewise, making it so that what terrain your piece is on only affects the defending piece rank, and flanking only affects the attacking piece rank, keeps it fairly simple and starts to make an awful lot of sense after you've played a game or two.

Sure with a computer game you can randomise stuff (and add various bonuses or penalties and have it added up for you), but just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. The reason I think Chess is such a great game is that nothing is random - it is all up to the skill of the player and I want to capture that feeling with Cyvasse. Just the mere fact of having tier levels is something many people don't like on a board game, but I think if it's kept to simple one-step additions, then that is a concept which has been in boardgames like Backgammon for centuries if not millennia.

Other simplifications also help in a number of ways: Things like making it so that your King always starts on your fortress tile, and similarly your two Light Horse pieces always start on your two grassland tiles, your two Crossbow pieces always start on your two hill tiles, and your two Spears pieces always start on your two forrest tiles, this does two things: It makes it much simpler when setting/quicker up your home side of the board, but more importantly it changes the whole feeling of opening of the game. Back when Lordbiscuit and I were first playing with the application he had created, it was obvious that the game had a tendency to start with a blood bath for the first few moves because once you lifted up the screen there was usually at least a few pieces that could be attacked without consequence. Having it this way (all tier 2 pieces start on home terrain, so are effectively tier 3 pieces for defence purposes) means that when the screen is lifted there are far fewer obvious weaknesses and you usually spend at least a minute studying your opponent's opening array for a way in.

In other news, my 3D printed set arrives on Tuesday :)

Happy Days!

My 3D printed set has arrived, and although there were a few small issues (the throwing arms of the black trebuchets never arrived, so I have now updated the trebuchet piece so it can't fall off during the printing process) it is everything I could have hoped for!

Unfortunately this forum doesn't let me post pics inline as far as I can tell - but I've uploaded quite a few pics to the product pages on the shapeways store if you want to check it out how awesome it turned out.

The piece set:
https://www.shapeways.com/model/1701959/mikelepage-s-cyvasse-and-hex-chess-piece-set.html?li=aeTabs
The board:
https://www.shapeways.com/model/1875276/28cm-91hex-cyvasse-hex-chess-board.html?li=my-models&materialId=26

Also because it's cool, a gif of the trebuchet piece "firing" :)
http://www.mikelepage.com/Trebuchetpiece2.gif

Happy Days!

My 3D printed set has arrived, and although there were a few small issues (the throwing arms of the black trebuchets never arrived, so I have now updated the trebuchet piece so it can't fall off during the printing process) it is everything I could have hoped for!

Unfortunately this forum doesn't let me post pics inline as far as I can tell - but I've uploaded quite a few pics to the product pages on the shapeways store if you want to check it out how awesome it turned out.

The piece set:

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1701959/mikelepage-s-cyvasse-and-hex-chess-piece-set.html?li=aeTabs

The board:

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1875276/28cm-91hex-cyvasse-hex-chess-board.html?li=my-models&materialId=26

Also because it's cool, a gif of the trebuchet piece "firing" :)

http://www.mikelepage.com/Trebuchetpiece2.gif

Bad ass man.....bravo

Bad ass man.....bravo

Thanks mate - talk about a labour of love! But I now have a set that I can play with using my rules and I'm pretty happy about that.

Also if anyone's interested, I responded to request on the shapeways forum to create a Chess set (board plus pieces) using my piece designs.

Edit: Because that person was interested in a full size (14") board, the pieces are scaled up too (36cm wide board, 6cm tall King and Dragon!).

Also - wow! 300th post! :)

Archived