braavosi fleet

miguel sanchez

Hey, I'm a first time poster, I've been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now and I finally thought of a topic to discuss that I haven't seen brought up here.

Early on in the book Cersei deals with an emissary from braavos who is there to collect the debt the crown owes the free city. Cersei is unwilling to pay him and he doesn't seem too happy about it. Did that ever get resolved? I don't recall.

Also, in Arya's first chapter I remember her seeing the arsenal of braavos and that kid on the boat told her that they can build a war galley in a day. The braavosi rely upon their ships for defence and one would think they have a large army of ships at their disposal or could at least amass a large fleet very quickly.

The questions in my head are:

1. Will Cersei's non payment of the debt to braavos have some kind of effect, possibily bringing them into the war to some extent, probably against the Lannisters... possibly for Daenerys, or the Dornish?

2. Will the naval forces of braavos become useful or a threat for our characters? Is the fleet of braavos of any importance?

I have a feeling my questions will be answered in aDWD, but I haven't read it yet.

I think that declaring war would permanently scuttle any chance of collecting debts, except through war plunder. But not only would that cost a deal in men and money (which kills the purpose) but it would be difficult to collect enough plunder through a blockade alone, because eventually, people will stop coming so the Braavosi will not confiscate their cargo (and this would sour relations with other countries as well). They can't do much beyond a blockade because Braavosi strength lies in the sea, and not on land.

• 2 weeks later...

Cersei's non-compliance to the Braavosi bank has an effect on ADWD. If you'll recall, Tommen is not the only one with the claim to the Iron Throne. I suggest you read that. ;)

As for the Naval prowess of Braavos, it depends on who will give them the coin for it, or if someone displeases them.

Archived