Long Claw and the Prophecy

willdabeast94

I swear to the old gods I hope that GRRM doesn't make the story into some silly Arthurian good vs evil thing with this whole AA and lightbringer bs. I think we can expect and hope for better then that from GRRM.

I personally hope NO one is AA and there isn't some grand cosmic earth shattering " good vs evil" battle in the end.. it just wouldn't fit into the ASOIAF story.

I've seen a buttload of interviews Martin did and he is always, always taking about how the world isn't black and white but grey and how he wants these books and characters to reflect that. Plus he has said the ending will be "bittersweet" so I really do not think there is a chance of the good vs evil thing happening. I'm much more concerned something is g

I swear to the old gods I hope that GRRM doesn't make the story into some silly Arthurian good vs evil thing with this whole AA and lightbringer bs. I think we can expect and hope for better then that from GRRM. I personally hope NO one is AA and there isn't some grand cosmic earth shattering " good vs evil" battle in the end.. it just wouldn't fit into the ASOIAF story.

It is a Song of Ice and Fire. For all we know Fire could be the evil or they are both shades of gray and will battle each other to near extinction....

It is a Song of Ice and Fire. For all we know Fire could be the evil or they are both shades of gray and will battle each other to near extinction....

all he talks about is how the world is grey...there is no good, there is no evil, there is good and evil in everyone, or at least according to Martin and his books, or at least this series. He has said his ending will be "bittersweet" and I really do not get the impression he is going to make it about good vs evil in the end after working so hard to show how we can actually like the characters we hate and how we can hate the ones we loved all depending on their POV.

...Apparently they don't have Canadian Bacon in Canada either...

But they do have two-fours, chesterfields, and eavestroughs, whereas in the States we have cases of beer, sofas, and rain gutters.

At any rate different expressions in the same language but we still understand. So obsidian is dragonglass, and Valyrian steel might be dragon steel. It would be good to be quite sure though, before the rubber meets the road...

Well, if Longclaw is Lightbringer, Jon will need a sacrifice. What if Melisandre is the sacrifice? She had one chapter in ADwD, and considering that she was really the only new POV who got to have her name as the title of the chapter, I'm guessing we'll be seeing more of her. And it seemed like she was being portrayed pretty sympathetically, so if we grow to like her (a la Jaime), that would fit into Martin's theme of gray morality. Besides, then the fire could be real or metaphorical (real, knowing Martin). Melisandre would certainly give the sword the heat that Stannis' Lightbringer is missing.

• 4 weeks later...

Decades after their standard launch, your Online game (greatly multi-player online role-playing video game) is constantly on the conduct superbly and contains properly kept gamers amused together with fresh expansions. Like all additional online game inside genre, persona progression may be the really heart and soul of each one sport. For everywow gold

Mmo, character advancement can be carefully tied to buy wow gold

making the actual in-game currency. Within Wow cataclysm release, the currency is calledwow gold

Gold.

<_<

I changed my mind. I know who Jon needs to sacrifice.

• 2 months later...

I don't think this has been mentioned on this thread yet but, Eddard Stark did describe Dawn as having some sort of weary shimmer to it as if it were alive with light and the colour of it was milk-glass white. When I think alive with light and milk-glass white I think of a metal substance so hot that it's burning white.

On the other hand for those that are pining for the whole part about the sword being of a red hue, it wouldn't be far-fetched that, should it remain a sword, it could be oathkeeper which Brienne is holding onto now since it was literally reforged Valyrian that was Jon's ancestral sword Ice. Why do I come to this conclusion is because the sword is described as having a very rare and unrepeatable Red coat to it and that came to be almost naturally after the sword had decapitated none other than the beloved Eddard Stark (how's that for a Nissa nissa replacement for Jon eh!). As for out of the fire, what heavily forged steal was not drawn from the fire at one point. Not to mention I don't know if anyone caught this but, there was mention from the smith who was explaining the process to Tywin that he had tried numerous times to reforge the blade but failed, echoing the numerous tries to forge the blade. If the North Remembers and somehow Ice is Lightbringer and only awakened by its newest sacrifice in Eddard Stark, this would be a good candidate. Though it does not give off heat or shine like crazy like Dawn is described...

There is certainly something different about Longclaw.

I've always wondered how such a poor family as Mormont would have a Valyrian sword. There has to be some kind of story about its orgins that we don't know, I'd like to know how they came aross it.

• 1 year later...

Long Claw is only 500 years old, pretty much right around the time the Targaryens first landed on Dragonstone. So i don't think it is old enough to be Lightbringer.

The only sword that happens to be thousands of years old is Dawn.

How old was ICE? Now how old is Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail?

As we have seen, swords can be reforged....and couldnt it be possible that Lightbringer was reforged?

Thats assuming that Lightbringer is refering to the same sword though.....I always thought that an AA reborn would need a Lightbringer reforged, not the same one as before.

That said, I like the thought of Longclaw being pulled forth from the fire....but i am more afraid of who Nissa Nissa would have to be then. So then lets say Lightbringer is not Longclaw, shall we?

• 1 year later...

Heres my theory, read all the books so far and currently in the middle of a Dance with Dragons. I believe Jon Snow is the underdog and one of the, if not the most important characters in the saga. Based on information I've gathered from watching history of Westeros videos on youtube, he has royal blood part Targaryen, part Stark. Secondly I believe this because the entire series is called a song of Ice and Fire. Ice = Stark, Fire = Targaryen. Seems legit to me

I also believe in the end we will see Jon Snow sit on the iron throne and rule. Think back to when Daenerys enters the tower of the hand and she sees the throne with snow falling down on it, another indication for me, a subtle metaphor placed intentionally by GRR Martin to show us Jon Snow will rule. I also believe Jon Snow to be Azor Ahai reborn based on the vision Melisandre has when she looks into the flames and asks to see the lord of the light reborn she says " i search for glimpses of the lord of light, but all i see is snow" So yes, another metaphor pointing towards Jon Snow being the lord of the light reborn... I think so

And i mean how many times have we heard the saying " You know nothing Jon Snow" another clue in my eyes, that just says there is so much more importance to this character who has a huge role to play

So lets say he is Azor Ahai reborn and now the legend is about to replay once more. Jon snow would have to make a number of sacrifices in order to forge the fabled Lightbringer as Azor Ahai did. I suggest you google Azor Ahai here and read the story of how lightbringer is forged if you haven't already... http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Azor_Ahai

So now lets say in place of a lion Jon Snow will slay Ghost his dire wolf for the first sacrifice

For the second sacrifice in place of Nisa Nisa, well i have a theory that Jon and Daenerys will fall in love at some point, not uncommon for brothers and sisters of the Targaryen blood line afterall :P

He will then slay her, as a ritual sacrifice required to forge lightbringer

Daenerys will know all to well and will allow him to do so, as this is the only way to save Westeros from the White Walkers

This would be such an emotional, powerful scene and a fitting way for Daenerys to go out and I love the idea of this, she's a massive character and deserves an epic ending

What makes me think this you might ask? One word, the prophecy

It has been foretold in the books at Asshai that when the stars bleed and the cold winds blow, a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword"

Now lets imagine this metaphorically, instead of an actual fire, picture Targaryen, and, lets just say that Targaryen happens to be Daenerys Stormborn, blood of the dragon who will as she claims " I will take whats mine through fire and blood"

All of GRR Martins clues in my eyes are coded behind imagery and metaphors, you just have to look that bit deeper to find the hidden meaning 

As for Longclaw being Lightbringer, yes I think so just an incomplete version of it :)

Archived