Westeros warfare and armor glitches

Kozma

Again, I think the differences are partly due to wanting to include a wide variety of historical parallels from different time periods. For example the Unsullied are Spartans and the Ironborn vikings, Westerosi (post)medieval knights. To draw the parallels well he used the historical counterparts' most colorful attributes. Ninjas and pirates never did battle either but people think it's fucking awesome.

George has used the peak of armour making technology becasuse warfare technology in asoiaf has been stagnant for thousands of years so it stands to reason that what they had would have been perfected to the limit.

Japanese samurai body armor and swords are perfected to the limit. No such things in Westeros.

Unsullied are another major glitch in the warfare. Spartans would *politely* decline an offered to be castrated in order to improve their military strength.

Read the story. They're child slaves when they're cut, they can't decline. Besides, they're parallels; this is fantasy not historical fiction.

GRRM is not shy to use telescopes as a standard maester or navy equipment. Optical glass is way more advance technology than gunpowder.

Well, its just personal, optical glasses seemed fitting an its origin well explained, i don't like the idea of canons, but i don't think is impossible for him to introduce them, i even suggested how ^^

Well, its just personal, optical glasses seemed fitting an its origin well explained, i don't like the idea of canons, but i don't think is impossible for him to introduce them, i even suggested how ^^

Firearms is usually not a part of fantasy word. Dragons and pyromancers work good enough. I just point out on mismatches in the warfare. :cheers:

I like the idea of gunpowder being introduced as a miracle invention (discovered by Sam at the Citadel) to help defeat the Others. Signifies the end of the old world of myths and magic and the arrival of new scientific era.

Japanese samurai body armor and swords are perfected to the limit. No such things in Westeros.

Not true. Japanese body armor was garbage compared to western armor. Their swords were amazing, but because of the lack of iron abundance even their basic mail was not nearly as dense or as good in quality as western armor from earlier periods.

Archived