U.S. Politics: Women's Health Issue

TerraPrime

Guest Raidne

Well, one of us is crazy. Because to me that says that (1) women aren't going to lose the right to vote when we are 50% of the population and (2) liberal men are doing a pretty bad job of helping us out on the abortion thing.

ETA: Need to edit, because now that's either both of you or crazy, or I'm crazy. And I'm not asking you to not speak your views about women's liberation out loud for me. I'm asking for women. We need your help because Hillary didn't get the nomination...I voted for Obama in the primary FFS. For truth, you really don't understand what's wrong with that?

Because amongst liberals, it's a given that you don't think there's anything wrong with being a Muslim? Otherwise, you wouldn't be a liberal, no?

Do we release flyers to mosques telling people this or something? Because from where I'm standing liberal democratic feminists have been writing papers against Islam for a really long time. And fair enough cyr, if someone who is actually Muslim wants to tell us about it, I would be glad to be so informed. But I would think it would kind of suck, kind of like when women friends of mine disavow the label "feminist."

Well, first of all I am an Obama fanboi. So even if he were muslim I would be defending him from anyone who claimed that religious upbringing made him less of an american. Secondly, I come from a land with 150 million muslims, so they arent any great Other to me. So I find all this discussion a little baffling. I've lived under muslim heads of state before.

Well, one of us is crazy. Because to me that says that (1) women aren't going to lose the right to vote when we are 50% of the population and (2) liberal men are doing a pretty bad job of helping us out on the abortion thing.

Right, I see that now. The "right to vote" is about suffrage, not the right to vote on laws regarding female reproductive issues.

Apologies for misunderstanding your point.

But yes, calling men who agree with protecting women's right to abortion and other reproductive health issues as ineffective is a big improvement over telling them they're not needed (which you didn't).

Do we release flyers to mosques telling people this or something? Because from where I'm standing liberal democratic feminists have been writing papers against Islam for a really long time. And fair enough cyr, if someone who is actually Muslim wants to tell us about it, I would be glad to be so informed. But I would think it would kind of suck, kind of like when women friends of mine disavow the label "feminist."

Really? The Democratic feminists are not criticizing the misogynistic practices endemic to many Islamic cultures, and are instead telling people that there's something wrong with being Muslim? Does that mean that all the criticism on the RCC's handling of the pedophilia scandal are all actually about us disliking Catholics in general?

This probably doesn't belong here but there are many women who do not identify with the label of feminist because they feel that the movement is now catering to the voices of white, middle class women and that it doesn't describe to day to day struggles they have with being other than that i.e. working class, POC, trans, PWD. /threadjack

N

ETA: Need to edit, because now that's either both of you or crazy, or I'm crazy. And I'm not asking you to not speak your views about women's liberation out loud for me. I'm asking for women. We need your help because Hillary didn't get the nomination...I voted for Obama in the primary FFS. For truth, you really don't understand what's wrong with that?

(1) Women's rights are being chipped away all across the country at the state level. I'd think you'd want every ally you can get.

(2) Now I'm to blame for al the social conservs in the country? Really? That's what you're trying to say?

I'm really not sure what else you're driving at. Are you angry at yourself for voting for Obama? if so, why take it out on me?

P.S.: If my arguments are not sophisticated enough for your liking, or they don't suit the tone you'd prefer for the topic... well, I guess too bad?

Archived