A crackpot theory on R'hllor

Aeryes Stark

It seems to me that the entire belief in R'hllor is an answer the Others. I mean they light a fire every time the sun goes down and pray for the sun's return, sounds like something that goes back to "the long night"; when the sun didn't return for a long time. Also IIRC the books mention that the others only ever attack at night, and the followers of R'hllor are always saying "the night is dark and full of terrors". It just seems to me that even though the Red god's religion seems centered in Essos nowadays maybe it began in Westeros. I have read theories that the long night was global, not contained to Westeros, but seeing as there's never any mention by any Essosian(?) of the coming winter, or stockpiling crops to last through winter I feel it's more likely that the R'hllorists moved there to avoid ever dealing with the Others again. Much like old canadians move to Florida or Arizona.

Martin said that we won't se any god interfering directly, so, the only gods we have proof of existence are the Old Gods, but this depends in your definition of "god", as they are more a union of the minds of all greenseers than gods on the literal sense.

• 2 months later...

And why would there be any REAL god, and why would there be a Devil ?

I am myself a total atheist, so I just consider that all religions of Westeros and the world are all fake, and there are only placebos effects... as for R'hllor powers, I would just give it to the magic, not the religion.

No, no, no. Just because "there's no god in real life" does NOT mean there isn't a god in fantasy. That's like saying there are no gods in "God of War"

C'mon now. Your being dumb. Idk about the overall story arc, but I wouldn't be surprised if Martin reveals that all the gods are (to some extent) and if that's the case, I'm putting all my money on Rhollor being a demon/devil of some kind. Just my opinion.

And why would there be any REAL god, and why would there be a Devil ?

I am myself a total atheist, so I just consider that all religions of Westeros and the world are all fake, and there are only placebos effects... as for R'hllor powers, I would just give it to the magic, not the religion.

I am an atheist and I find the gods of Westeros hold some merit. The Old Gods are definitely not some piece of fiction made to satisfy the masses, and I would say that R'hllor falls along the same lines. I can see why you would see the 7 as having no real power, but that doesn't mean all the other gods (and there are many as we know from the House of Black and White) are the same. This is a fantasy series, gods are allowed to be real, or not.

*Spoiler if you havent read all books*

In a Storm of Swords there is a good description of Rhillor

Re-read the chapter POV of Davos where he is in prison in Dragonstone

Mel visits Davos tells him the all about why Rhillor is good and who is bad (The Other)

In this description she speaks of Rhillor as the light, the fire , the shadow maker.

Also in this description she tells of Rhillor's adversary (Yin/Yang) (Light/Dark)

She goes on to say that they,the red priests,do not name him only that he is known as "The Other"

I take this to be that R'hllor is both the light and dark. To everything there is an opposite, so I think R'hllor is just two sides of the same coin. He is a god and a devil rolled into one. The Other is simply his other side. I find it a bit hard to believe that one god can be only "good" or "bad" so it is very possible that R'hllor could be both.

Archived