The Unkown city of the others..

himalyanjon

I wonder what it would be like to be an Other's prisoner. Probably very cold. Or really nice. "For your horrendous acts you will sit next to this fire for 10 minutes!"

Also for Benjen being a wight, would he have his mind intact still then? Hmm. :dunno:

coldhands has doesn't he.

hehe there wont be a ingle fire in this undiscovered city dude

yeah but others are creatures that live there so they must have a means to create a socitey there.. no?

Society=/=a city. We don't know how numerous they are, and what they need to survive. They might live off the sun and wind for all we know, or they might require some resources to survive.

Society=/=a city. We don't know how numerous they are, and what they need to survive. They might live off the sun and wind for all we know, or they might require some resources to survive.

some semblence of socitey though i would like to see a haunted castle.

• 3 months later...

I really like what is going on with this thread! I had not considered alot of this before. I will be going back through the books and paying more attention with a 'society' in mind when WW are encountered and 'Others' mentioned. HIMALYANJON--your thoughts are wonderful!!!!

It makes me think

IIf we know for sure that we gonna see the real north in the last two books, I wander who is gonna be the POV charater that is going to show us the place??

Will Bran leave the cave?

Jon snow is gonna go there, if he lives?

Benjen Stark, maybe a surprise POV or the prologue?

Someone else?

I also think GRRM said that we are going to visit Highgarden and casterly rocl in the next two books. Can someone confiirm that:?

Bran really doesn't have to leave the cave. If someone is required to leave, he could always just use Hodor to travel up north while deepening his roots in the cave.

DO u think we gonna have a POV Bran, with Hordor´s body.

Dont think its likely Bran sendind hodor alone that far. Its the same sending him to death.

But if tis not Bran, who is gonna be?

How about Jon-in-Ghost? Ghost could tolerate the cold much better than Hodor could.

I like this. I think Jon is dead but he will live in ghost body.

Maybe some wildling warg or sorcerer will notice this and tell jon what he has to do in order to live as a human again. And to fo that he has to go to the real north

For sure, the wildlings do would such a thing for Jon, since he opened the walls gate.

I belive that becase melisandres dream, about jon going to wolf and human again

• 2 weeks later...

I really like what is going on with this thread! I had not considered alot of this before. I will be going back through the books and paying more attention with a 'society' in mind when WW are encountered and 'Others' mentioned. HIMALYANJON--your thoughts are wonderful!!!!

you are the one of very few who find this theory viable, i am a strong suppoter of a ogre like soctiey in the vast wilderness may be in he caves, I am sure grrm has never said how others breed.

It makes me think

IIf we know for sure that we gonna see the real north in the last two books, I wander who is gonna be the POV charater that is going to show us the place??

Will Bran leave the cave?

Jon snow is gonna go there, if he lives?

Benjen Stark, maybe a surprise POV or the prologue?

Someone else?

I also think GRRM said that we are going to visit Highgarden and casterly rocl in the next two books. Can someone confiirm that:?

jon as coldhands like good wight :)

Bran could be the POV, seeing the Others through the eyes of a raven, or something. The 3-eyed Crow got him beyond the aurora borealis to see into the heart of winter in a dream, after all.

I could see someone having a vision of a city made entirely of ice, with towers and spires piercing the mist and gleaming like milk glass in the moonlight. Blah, blah. I would like to see something like that, and something more of Other "society." The description of the Other's armor and weapons makes them sound rather sophisticated, which implies some social structure. I would also like the Others to be more complex and interesting than your usual evol ogre enemy.

On the other hand, in another GRRM book, Fevre Dream, he created a humanoid society that lived along side humans but never developed a human-like culture because they were so physically superior they didn't need the protection that civilization provides. The Others may be similar.

First of all, I am very eager to see some "organized society" in the Far North. But, before we get to see the Others, we must see the Thenn. They definitely are organized, have their undisputed hereditary leader (Magnar), live in relatively large towns/cities, where they melt copper and probably have some kind of agriculture (cattle for sure). In that sense they are very different from the Free Folk. Also, another society that may have some organization in the Far North are the Giants. Not so sure about them, but it would be really great to learn more about their ways in last two books. I suppose Thenn and Giants have some interactions since they both speak old thong...

As for the Others, we must first learn who they really are and what are their motives and then we can speculate about organizational aspects of their society.

Edit: "Near North" we may call Haunted Forest and the area mostly covered with trees, all the way to the Fist. "Far North" could be area north of Fist and Milkwater where the Thenn and Giants live. Even further north is the Land of always winter. That is probably where the Others dwell and where GRRM will lead us in the next book.

On the other hand, in another GRRM book, Fevre Dream, he created a humanoid society that lived along side humans but never developed a human-like culture because they were so physically superior they didn't need the protection that civilization provides. The Others may be similar.

That actually brings up an interesting point (Fevre Dream spoilers ahead), because there,

the "vampires" actually have stories that say they once lived in a magnificent "dark city", where the sun never shone, and that the Pale King will, in the future, lead them back to that city. Given the rather significant number of parallels between Fevre Dream and ASOIAF, I wouldn't be surprised if the "dark city of the vampires" discussed (but never seen) in Fevre Dream turned out to be a literary precursor of a "dark city of the Others" that we will in fact get to see in ASOIAF.

First of all, I am very eager to see some "organized society" in the Far North. But, before we get to see the Others, we must see the Thenn. They definitely are organized, have their undisputed hereditary leader (Magnar), live in relatively large towns/cities, where they melt copper and probably have some kind of agriculture (cattle for sure). In that sense they are very different from the Free Folk. Also, another society that may have some organization in the Far North are the Giants. Not so sure about them, but it would be really great to learn more about their ways in last two books. I suppose Thenn and Giants have some interactions since they both speak old thong...

As for the Others, we must first learn who they really are and what are their motives and then we can speculate about organizational aspects of their society.

Edit: "Near North" we may call Haunted Forest and the area mostly covered with trees, all the way to the Fist. "Far North" could be area north of Fist and Milkwater where the Thenn and Giants live. Even further north is the Land of always winter. That is probably where the Others dwell and where GRRM will lead us in the next book.

I am sure we will learn about thenn in this book. but what suprises how little stories of thenn have reached the night's watch. I am sure george is concealng some facts about thenn

Love this theory, and honestly i have never thought about how the Others were born/where they stayed when they weren't attacking people.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Others really did have some kind of city in the very north, like the CoTF had in the forests/trees.

maybe a cave socitey or ogre like dwelling.

Archived