[Book Spoilers] Average Number of Book Pages in Each Season

DaveSumm

I thought I'd work out how many pages each episode of the TV series attempts to cover on average. The page counts are based on my hardback slipcase editions, where the font size and spacing is consistent throughout each book. Obviously I'm aware that the books don't quite line up with the seasons, but as much as D&D have played down the 'book-per-season' approach, the two seasons we've seen so far have lined up pretty much exactly. Also obviously, Season 3 won't be precisely half of aSoS but this still makes for an interesting guide I think.

A Game Of Thrones - 780 pages - 78 pages per episode (ppe) in Season 1

A Clash Of Kings - 873 pages - 87 ppe in Season 2

A Storm Of Swords - 1123 pages (halved because the book is split) - 56 ppe in Season 3

So Season 2 saw an 11% increase in ppe on Season 1, Season 3 shows a 35% decrease over Season 2, a 28% decrease over Season 1.

11% doesn't sound much of an increase for Season 2 considering how much is made of the difficulty of cramming it in to one season, but I think it's important to remember how much of aGoT takes place where many characters are in one place, and therefore far less explanation, set-up, etc. But I'm very encouraged by a 35% decrease for Season 3, this should really allow all the individual arcs to breathe and be dealt with in more detail.

Archived