Gotta wonder, why didn't Robbert Baratheon just shut up and put a cussion on the damn throne

Max Shelley

This is a pure assumtion, but I always assumed it was tradition for the king to sit on The Iron Throne--err, bareback. :blush:

Aegon the Conqueror always said that 'A king should never sit easy'. Meaning that he forged The Iron Throne for two main reasons, to enstill fear into the hearts of his enemies by squatting over a throne forged of the blades of his fallen enemies (the ultimate 'come at me' if I ever saw one), and to remind not only himself, but future kings to always be vigilant. He knew that trust could be a weakness, and that a king letting his guard down could be his ultimate demise (Aerys Targaryen II learned this the hard way).

Plus there is a belief in The Red Keep that The Iron Throne as a will of it's own; as it will 'reject' an unworthy king, as many rulers of the past have common cut themselves or were even killed by the throne itself; almost as if the gods themselves were denying their rule.

• 3 weeks later...

not trying to sound condacending but it seems like everyone who sat on that uncomfortable throne at least in 'Game of Thrones' complained that it was uncomfortable, is there an actual reason someone didn't think to put a cussion on the damn thing, I mean it was hunderds of years from when Aegon had it made, sure he believed that it should be uncomfortable but why didn't anyone else put a cussion on it afterwards.

LoL. Nice observation, but I think the kings thought that a cushion would make them appear pleasure-loving and luxurious. This was obviously not the case with a guy like Robert, but then again I doubt he really spent much time on the Iron Throne anyway.

Gals of laughter.....Robert tells the reader on his morning ride with Ned on the way to King's Landing. It's more fun winning a throne than sitting it.....he does not like to rule.

Archived