YOUNGER QUEEN = VALONQAR

Mladen

OK, but we're reading the series in ENGLISH. Martin is the authorial translator. If this was a postmodern book about the unreliability of truth and language and writing and wanted to be meta that would be cool but it's not. It's a fantasy book. We need to trust the authority of the narration.

OK, but we're reading the series in ENGLISH. Martin is the authorial translator.

Which is interesting because he chose to give a prophecy 95% in clear English (or Westerosi, as the case may be for Cersei), except for one untranslated word. Presumably this either serves to obscure the actual identity of the person who kills Cersei, or as a red herring to direct people away from the obvious conclusions of Jaime or Tyrion in a way that saying "the little brother shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat" would not.

If this was a postmodern book about the unreliability of truth and language and writing and wanted to be meta that would be cool but it's not. It's a fantasy book. We need to trust the authority of the narration.

Actually, it's often cited as an example of post-modern fantasy, but discussing what post-modernity actually is was such a head-achey topic I'll leave that one and simply say this;

It's not an omniscient narration, it's not even particularly reliable narration, else Sansa's encounter with the Hound is some sort of Schrodinger's Cat situation where she both did and didn't kiss him.

It depends on the execution I suppose.

For a long time, it really looked like Catelyn was dead-dead. Then we got the almost deus ex-machina of Nymeria finding her and Beric resurrecting her.

Sorry to go off topic but please please can someone let me know when Nymeria found Cat ~ if thats something I've missed I wanna take a re-read

Sorry to go off topic but please please can someone let me know when Nymeria found Cat ~ if thats something I've missed I wanna take a re-read

it's in arya's POV in ASOS -- after the RW, she wants to go back and find her mom, then she has a dream as Nymeria pulling Cat out of the water, wakes up and tells the Hound nevermind, her mom is dead...

OK, but we're reading the series in ENGLISH. Martin is the authorial translator. If this was a postmodern book about the unreliability of truth and language and writing and wanted to be meta that would be cool but it's not. It's a fantasy book. We need to trust the authority of the narration.

But don't forget that Martin likes to use the device of an unreliable narrator. He's said it in a few interviews. What any one character says in his/her POV is what that specific character thinks. Also, we tend to use the male gender pronouns when gender is questionable or unknown. So I wouldn't get too caught up on the "his" thing... I mean we call ships "she," but that doesn't mean the ships are women. I'm not saying it can't be a man, just saying that I wouldn't rule out that it couldn't be a girl.

• 1 month later...

Can someone help out a board noob and tell me how we know valonqar means "little brother," por favor?

the meaning of the word was explained by maester Aemon while he and Sam were traveling on the Narrow Sea, he explained that in Valyrian the word was neutral, so it has to be a younger sibling, either male or female.

the meaning of the word was explained by maester Aemon while he and Sam were traveling on the Narrow Sea, he explained that in Valyrian the word was neutral, so it has to be a younger sibling, either male or female.

No, Cersei tells Taena it means little brother, which she learned after asking her Septa. Aemon meanwhile says they were looking for a prince, but that was an error in the translation because dragons are neither male nor female. He never mentions the word valonqar.

It has to be Jaime, cause you know, Cersei's pain must never end. :P The only thing that confuses me, even though Maggy clearly says "his hands" is then why use the word valonquar instead of just brother? It would still serve the plot twist and confuse readers between Tyrion and Jaime without her just dropping a random word in high valyrian. Oh well.

I'd like the valonqar to be Tyrion, as Cersei suspects. I can't think of anything more satisfying than Tyrion strangling sweet Cersei. She is terrified of Tyrion and the prophecy. She'll die while living out her worst nightmare.

If Jaime is the valonqar she will never expect it. She'll die sad, and confused. Not as good to me.

Archived