Question about Sansa's supposed betrayal of Ned

Jed Stark

Hello! It's my first post, and I need help! I'm currently reading A Clash of Kings, and I'm confused by something in the first Tyrion chapter. When Cersei is bringing Tyrion up to speed on recent events in King's Landing, she states that she learned of Ned Stark's intentions through Sansa. I thought that Cersei learned of Ned's plans from Ned himself, during the conversation they had in the godswood (when Ned revealed that he knew Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen were all Jaime's children). I thought that Sansa had gone to Cersei before Ned was even aware of the incestuous relationship between Cersei and her brother. Wasn't Ned initially sending Sansa and Arya back to Winterfell because the situation in the realm was deteriorating (Gregor Clegane's attacks, Tyrion being taken hostage, etc.), and he thought they'd be safer there? Did I miss something? Thank you so much, and have a great day!

Thanks so much! Just to be clear, once Sansa told Cersei that Ned planned to end the betrothal to Joffrey and send her home, Cersei realized that Ned knew the truth about Joffrey having no claim to the throne. She conferred with Littlefinger, and they bought off the gold cloaks, all before Ned even met Cersei at the godswood. By the time Ned confronted Cersei, it was already too late for him, unless he sided with her. Is that correct?

No, it's not. Sansa goes to Cersei hours before Ned is imprisoned. Ned goes to Cersei days before, and it's what triggers Robert's death.

Cersei doesn't tell Tyrion about her meeting with Ned because if she did she would be forced to say why Ned gave her the ultimatum. She is playing it like Robert died naturally and Stark decided to support someone else for the succession, not trying to hint that Stark had very different reasons than a power-grab. Even hinting at the idea of incest is not good for her.

Thank you, Edison B! That clears it up, I think. After Robert died, Cersei wasn't planning to arrest or go after Ned, so long as he kept quiet and bent the knee to Joffrey. But, when Sansa went to her, Cersei believed that Ned was making his move against her (ending the betrothal, moving the girls back to Winterfell, possibly conspiring with Renly and/or Stannis), and it was time for her to move against him.

While Ned was, in fact, moving against the Queen (trying to contact Stannis, trying to buy off the gold cloaks through Littlefinger, etc.), in reality, the decision to send the girls back to Winterfell (which led Sansa to run to Cersei) had nothing to do with that, as that decision was made as a result of escalating tensions between the Lannisters and the Starks over Tyrion's capture (for example, Jaime and his men killing Ned's guards). Is that correct?

No, it's not. Sansa goes to Cersei hours before Ned is imprisoned. Ned goes to Cersei days before, and it's what triggers Robert's death.

Cersei doesn't tell Tyrion about her meeting with Ned because if she did she would be forced to say why Ned gave her the ultimatum. She is playing it like Robert died naturally and Stark decided to support someone else for the succession, not trying to hint that Stark had very different reasons than a power-grab. Even hinting at the idea of incest is not good for her.

Are you sure of that?

My read is Ned tells Sansa first and we are left to wonder what she will do next. It is after Ned telling Sansa of his plans that he meets with Cersei at the Godswood.

It is concievable that Sansa ran to Cersei immediately and Cersei knew at that meeting of Ned was up to something and was already formulating her own plan.

Archived