New theory on the hooded man in Winterfell

houseHB

I do kinda agree that Theon is imagining the HM. It's very likely.

I wouldn't say very likely. It's a possibility that people seem to love promoting, but that I hate. As of now, there is no conclusive evidence whatsoever as to whom the HM might be. I personally strongly doubt that it is a figment of a deranged mind's imagination, but maybe that's just me. (If anyone might be hearing voices, then it would be Arya. As far as Theon is concerned, we were never given any prior indication, afaIk, that he might be hallucinating.)

For now, all that we can really do is speculate until the next book comes out and we finally learn whether all this arguing actually had a purpose, with the HM actually becoming a significant character, or whether there will simply never be any further mention of him.

My top choice for HM is Robett Glover. One thing I would like to see for possible candidates for HM who were last seen south of the Neck is an explanation as to how they got north of the Neck. Going from the south to the north has been a problem for a large part of the story. So any candidates from south of the Neck need to not only have a reason to be there, they also need an explanation as to how they got there.

It comes to my mind that the only solid piece of evidence used as "convincing" argument that Harwin is dead is the fact that Theon thought about it. And then people promote the idea that what he saw or thought could be a trick by his deranged mind and that this could be an instance of an unreliable narrator, all of which without any mention of the previous random stray thoughts. I love contradictions.

I'm all pro Harwin, but I think the argument was not that he is dead, but that Theon wouldn't think about him being dead if he just met him. Which does make more sense if one thinks Theon recognized the HM.

I have not read all of the other post but i think that the Hooded man is someone that saw Theon name Robb as his Brother at Riverrun. The difficulty is working out who witnessed that and survived or was not captured at the Red Wedding.

I do not think it could be the blackfish as the timing is all wrong and how would he get into winterfell.

That's actually an interesting argument that I hadn't seen before, kudos. But I still think it's enough for the guy to have lived with the Starks and seen how they treated Theon firsthand.

I wouldn't say very likely. It's a possibility that people seem to love promoting, but that I hate. As of now, there is no conclusive evidence whatsoever as to whom the HM might be. I personally strongly doubt that it is a figment of a deranged mind's imagination, but maybe that's just me. (If anyone might be hearing voices, then it would be Arya. As far as Theon is concerned, we were never given any prior indication, afaIk, that he might be hallucinating.)

For now, all that we can really do is speculate until the next book comes out and we finally learn whether all this arguing actually had a purpose, with the HM actually becoming a significant character, or whether there will simply never be any further mention of him.

Agreed. Theon Durden really adds nothing to the story. And why would it just be that one incident? I can't even see anything circumstantial except, "I think theon's going crazy".

Agreed. Theon Durden really adds nothing to the story. And why would it just be that one incident? I can't even see anything circumstantial except, "I think theon's going crazy".

Agreed too. Martin seems pretty clear when someone is being delusional. And if he was trying to show us Theon's inside world, I think it would be pointless to create such a mystery if it's just to show us Theon is going crazy.

Archived