Why did Tywin send Tyrion to KL?

uptowngbv

He tells Tyrion it's because he's his son. Tyrion's biggest blind spot at the time: his family and some approval from his father.

But I'm thinking Tywin was 50/50 about keeping KL and the Iron Throne at the time. He can't allow Cersei and her family to flee or they'd appear weak. What's the worst case scenario if KL falls to the Starks or a Baratheon? Tywin returns to Casterly Rock and sues for peace? Even Stannis would acknowledge the Crown's debt to Casterly Rock and the # of swords Tywin could buy to hold the rock. With Tyrion and Cersei and her family dead, his heir to Casterly

Rock is either Jaime (Tywin has no time to fool with King's Guard oath nonsense) or his brother

Kevan and his sons. Not Tyrion.

So, Tywin sits by and lets KL sink or swim. He sends Tyrion into the crosshairs. If Highgarden didn't eventually join the cause, I'm guessing that the Lannister army wouldn't have been anywhere the battle on the Blackwater.

I really don't think he would let his House's reputation fall so low after all he did to lift it. He only sent Tyrion to KL because his political skills would be much more useful than his fighting skills. Besides Jaime was captive, so if KL fell he could easily assume Jaime would have been killed or used to force the Lannister to sue for peace to extremely disadvantageous terms. (is disadvantageous even a word?)

So, Tywin sits by and lets KL sink or swim. He sends Tyrion into the crosshairs. If Highgarden didn't eventually join the cause, I'm guessing that the Lannister army wouldn't have been anywhere the battle on the Blackwater.

The Blackwater played out as it did because LF brokered an alliance with the Tyrrells after Renly's death.

Tywin's strategy was to deal with Robb first, and the Baratheons after. He considered Stannis a greater threat than Renyl, btw. So his reason to send Tyrion to KL was, as he said, to rule. He needs someone to reign in Joffry's and Cersei's madness (dismissing Selmy, executing Ned). In short, to keep the Lannister-kingdom he's trying to save alive. Even though he sees Tyrion's existence as a punishment for himself (ego much, btw), he recognises some of Tyrions abilities.

Also, he probably knew that no one would be willing to credit Tyrion with anything good he did while he was Hand (he was officially just Tywin's proxy, remember) and when Tywin returned to the city he would be able to take credit for all the good he did with no one sticking up for Tyrion, and blame Tyrion for anything bad that happened as "He defied my orders".

Archived